FD Safety Officer

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KD0UFC, Apr 27, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KD0UFC

KD0UFC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi folks,
    I've been appointed as safety officer for my club's field day effort this year, under rule 7.3.17. My background is in industrial construction, I've taken the OSHA 30 course in construction safety, and have served as a safety officer for model and high power rocketry launches. I'm curious as to what other clubs are planning safety wise. Anyone planning on making substantial purchases? Or are people planning to see what can be borrowed from club members? I'm thinking it would be ideal for a club to provide first aid kits, fire extinguishers, caution tape, etc. and perhaps an AED. Any thoughts?

2. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Definitely fire extinguishers, a first aid kit isn't a bad idea or an AED if you have access to it and people who know how to use it (they are pretty easy and walk you through it by themselves.. take the red cross courses if u can) If it's really hot/humid... I would add big coolers filled with plenty of bottled water / ice as well as fans at the operating stations to keep air moving. If you have guy ropes.. some sort of streamer / flag if they are near areas where people may walk (I've walked into my share of them at night).

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
    K9ASE likes this.
  3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

First thing: Get a badge!

K4YND, N4NJJ and KB2FCV like this.
  4. KD0UFC

Badges? We don't need no stinking badges! :D

W1XWX and WB0MPB like this.
  5. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

I suggest that knowing the address of where it is being held is of primary importance. Add to that a way for emergency vehicles to gain access with driving into a deadend. 911 should be called immediately in the case of a life threatening incident. Someone should be assigned to go to the entry point, one to direct the responders, one at the crossroad below where the activity is taking place.
    A briefing each morning on emergency protocol and an understanding of emergency exits from the property. All printed in a handout given to each member.
    All these are as important as a first aid kit.

K9ASE and WD3IT like this.
  6. KD0UFC

Should be fairly easy. We will probably be operating from the grounds of a church in a suburb of Saint Paul, which is our regular meeting site. Most of us set up our operating positions at the periphery of one of the parking lots, with one station right at the entrance, acting as a greeter. We have access to the church building, so severe weather shelter is covered. The church may have an AED, but I'm not sure. Briefings are a good idea, I'll look into that.

W4IOA likes this.
  7. KD0UFC

Has anyone looked into obtaining fire extinguishers other than ABC dry chemical? My take on those is that A: like any jack of all trades they do nothing well, and B: I don't want that stuff anywhere near my radios. I think the ideal setup for field day would be a Purple K BC extinguisher for each generator area, and a pairing of a water class A extinguisher along with a CO2 BC extinguisher for operating areas. I've been to a number of plants where the pairing of a class A and class BC extinguisher in leiu of an ABC extinguisher is SOP.

8. WB1GCM

WB1GCM Ham Member QRZ Page

AA9SD and WJ4U like this.
  9. KD0UFC

I've seen the checklist, I agree it's a good outline to follow.
    Most of the antennas at my club's FD will be wires hung from trees, I use a 30ft tilt up mast, but that's as involved as it gets. I do have a stash of hard hats I'll make available, though.

10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

IYzwc-rb.jpeg

Seriously for UFC,

Identify your risks i.e. old folks in heat doing work with soft hands erecting antennas and hooking up power to stuff. Also, public access to stuff that can injure them. Once your risks are identified, prioritize the solutions to each. For example cool water, towels, rest periods are a priority over an AED. Looking out for safety and gloves/eye protection beats a first aid kit. The AED and First Aid Kit are after the fact remedies. Better if the issues never happen.

That's my 2.5 cents.

KA0HCP and W4IOA like this.