FCC Seeks Comments for Blanket Waiver to Allow Amateur Radio in Hospital Emergency Dr

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9QZB, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA9ZZZ

WA9ZZZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not quitting yet.

At this point I still plan to submit my comments. I already wrote a first draft yesterday and do not want to waste it. But I'll wait until after the hamfest to see if anything interesting comes up there.

The AHA request may be useful in formulating a reply on the new NPRM. The AHA letter shows that the AHA, if not the hospitals it represents, has some basic misunderstandings about the Amateur Radio Service. Considering the number of form letters all with the same misunderstandings submitted by various hospitals, there are a lot of hospitals with the same problem.

If we point out to the FCC that the hospitals don't know what they are doing when it comes to using ARS for their emergency preparedness plan then it will be harder to allow them the exception.

2. KA5S

KA5S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What the Feds think

Here's something interesting from the FEMA IS-700a coursework:

This probably affects how the Federal government will view things like employees participating in drills.

IMO!

Cortland
    KA5S

3. KQ4D

KQ4D Ham Member QRZ Page

In reading comments thus far submitted it seems hospital staff don't have a clear understanding of what Amateur radio is about; even less of what is being asked for in this blanket waiver request.

As I previously stated, one comment spoke of an Amateur station set up with grant money from somewhere[?] at a price tag of over one hundred thousand dollars. This is difficult for me to understand; I would like to learn more about that installation.

Expenditures of money obtained from grants may be a matter of public information so I plan to investigate and somehow learn how much was spent in my county for amateur radio equipment.

Could someone tell me how to learn of past grants from state and\or federal funds?

4. N3JHA

N3JHA Ham Member QRZ Page

From the ARRL Executive Committee Meeting of March 13, 2010

"Mr. Sumner and Mr. Imlay have presented to FCC staff the ARRL’s position on additional language for §97.113(a)(3) of the FCC Rules. The addition would provide for a narrow exception to the prohibition on communications on behalf of an employer in order to permit participation in emergency preparedness and disaster drills. They spoke to advisors to all five FCC Commissioners and to the Chief and a Deputy Chief of the Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau. The FCC has received and has put on public notice a request from the American Hospital Association (AHA) for a blanket waiver to permit hospitals seeking accreditation to use Amateur Radio operators who are hospital employees to transmit communications on behalf of the hospital as part of emergency preparedness drills. After discussion the committee agreed that the ARRL will file comments supporting the waiver to the extent that it is consistent with the ARRL’s proposed modification to §97.113(a)(3), and will ask AHA to clarify its waiver request to bring it into conformity with that policy."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.