ad: Radclub22-1

FCC Seeks Comments for Blanket Waiver to Allow Amateur Radio in Hospital Emergency Dr

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB9QZB, Mar 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WB9QZB

WB9QZB Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Suggest you comment against this request. I have.

3. KQ4D

KQ4D Ham Member QRZ Page

My comments against this have been filed. The amateur service is not for such use.

4. K7ZZY

K7ZZY Ham Member QRZ Page

Ditto.

Agencies should make accommodations to comply with the existing rule.

5. KB1NXE

KB1NXE Ham Member QRZ Page

6. KD6GNB

KD6GNB Ham Member QRZ Page

May I ask why we should comment against this?

7. W0VYE

W0VYE Ham Member QRZ Page

Because this sort of use makes it much more difficult to legally defend amateur frequency allocations against those commercial interests who want pieces of them. These interests include medical device manufacturers, and others. As a related aside, please note that a nonprofit corporation is still a commercial interest. "Nonprofit" simply means its tax-exempt.

The communications needs of commercial interests should be met by commercial regulations, using commercial frequency allocations. If you work for a hospital, and they tell you to go get a tech license and pick up a hand-held, this is no longer an amateur or "hobby" use of the service. 73

8. KJ4BIX

KJ4BIX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why?

I'm interested in why we should be against this as well. It is a "drill" style exercise, do you think it would be better to not test the communications with hospitals? I don't have a conflict of interest because I don't participate in such exercises, I just really don't see why we would be against it. Hate to agree with the slogan but "When all else fails..." which doesn't mean no need to prepare because everything will be perfect.

I don't see this any differently than 14.300 being virtually dedicated to the maritime net.

9. W0VYE

W0VYE Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no such thing as a "virtually dedicated" frequency. The maritime net has no more claim to 14.300 than any other ham does. I think most of us recognize the value of that net and are willing to QSY for them, but that's not dedicated, virtually or otherwise.

Hams have a long tradition of public service, and I'm all for it. But whether any of us participate is entirely up to us as individuals. And except in the case of an immediate threat to life, "emergency" communications such as health & welfare traffic have no special privilage to claim a frequency. Not to pick on them, but for example, the SATERN net can ask for our consideration or a QSY, but we are not obligated to do anything special for them.

This is a hobby. Amateur means amateur. If your employer tells you to do it, that's not amateur.

The American Hospital Association is a business organization. Every hospital it represents is a business--a commercial interest--whether it's a registered nonprofit or not. If hospitals need 2-way radio communications, they should get it the same way every other business does. And does anyone seriously believe these people are short of money?

If state, county, or local governments, or agencies, need to bolster their comm capabilites to cope with possible emergencies, then that's what they should do, using their own resources. That, too, is not "amateur" activity.

IMO, a lot of well-intentioned people are on a misguided crusade to "semi-professionalize" amateur radio. Big mistake! They're being taken advantage of by all sorts of commercial and government interests who want something for nothing, and they put the basis of our amateur allocations at risk. People who want to be professional radio operators or first responders should go do that, but not on amateur frequencies or under the guise of the amatuer service.

10. KE4IKY

KE4IKY Ham Member QRZ Page

No dog in this BUT....

I'm more concerned with the idea of some guy waking up in the morning and saying "good day to conduct a drill of our back-up to back-up communications system". Is there any planning that goes on with these things... If there is, maybe requesting a waiver should be part of the planning.

11. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I think this is a great idea. I see no reason why this isn't a positive thing.

Chip W1YW

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No ; by government issued license it is NOT a hobby.The fact that most use it in that form should not be a smokescreen for the 'amateur radio SERVICE'.

Chip W1YW

13. K7MH

K7MH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I responded against it.
    A blanket waiver is just too easy an answer for those who do not want to bother with the red tape.
    If there are blanket waivers then don't bother with the ruling in the first place.
    The association is trying to make it real easy for them to do what they want and be a hero to the hospitals that belong to the association who probably pay to belong to it as well. Muscle flexing in a way.
    If they can get one then so can every association that represents those who might also want one. Once the door is open it is hard to restrict who goes through it.
    If that is the case, then drop the ruling and forget the whole issue.

14. KE4IKY

KE4IKY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm pretty sure that "service" isn't being used that way.

15. WJ2L

WJ2L Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hospital Emergency Service Drills

I think they should allow this. Being prepared is alot of help in an emergency.
    When Hospitals benefit during an emergency, you will be glad they did have
    what they needed, especially if you are the patient on the table!
    Bill WJ2L

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.