ad: UR5CDX-1

FCC Requirements

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WB6FTI, Aug 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WB6FTI

WB6FTI Guest

A recent article/post (which I cannot now locate, of course) eventually touched on the topic of phonetic alphabets. Some were assuming an FCC requirement to identify with the alphanumeric call sign itself, while others assumed the use of the standard phonetic alphabet. In case this wasn't clarified, I've located an interesting remark from "The ARRL Operating Manual", 3rd edition, page 3-7, which I quote:

"While the FCC does not require a specific list of words to aid in sending one's call sign on phone, it does encourage the use of a nationally or internationally recognized standard phonetic alphabet as an aid for correct phone identification." (Emphasis added)

While some would argue in favor of the standard phonetic alphabet (if only for good operating practice), apparently such is not currently required.

Gene AC7UL

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

gene, ac7ul....the post you are looking for is on the first page of talk and opinions here on qrz.....apparently, at one time, the word STANDARD did appear before the word phonetic alphabet in 97.119(2)....this is no longer the case...therefore STANDARD phonetics have no meaning, at least in the context of part 97 of the rules and regs.
    dan
    k3xr

3. N9OQT

N9OQT Ham Member QRZ Page

Gene,

I appreciate the people that actually use the proper standard phonetic alphabet. When I am trying to decipher a callsign over QRM on HF and people are giving me wierd phonetics like, Abra Cadabra 7 Umbilical Line, I will usually give up on trying to figure out the callsign.

Or another thing I hear alot of the bands is Kilowatt, some people use it as K and others as KW, or throwing in something like Radio Germany Japan, using country names typically causes confusion, like "Are you in Japan?"

Anyway, just like we all speak the same language over the air, we should try to use the same phonetics. What if I suddenly decided that I was going to use the word BLUE instead of the word TABLECLOTH, or the word INVENTORY instead of the word RESTROOM? Picture me walking into a local store and asking, "Excuse me, where is the Inventory?" Why do that? Just to be cute?

Standard Phonetics implies that they are standard, and that the majority, and Hopefully all of the operators use them. The whole point behind them is using a standard to ease recognition over the difficulty of communicating over long distances.

So why increase the difficulty in understanding, by using strange words?

Thanks for reading,
    Pat, N9OQT

4. KA1EZE

KA1EZE Ham Member QRZ Page

A phonetic alphabet that's not standard defeats the purpose of it generally. At least that's what I thought, it's supposed to be used when conditions make the use of letters ambiguous or  unclear.

It seems some have forgotten the standard set and that makes things hard! I use zulu for Z, but i have had several hams not get what I was saying until I used zanzibar!

rick

5. kd7nqb

kd7nqb Ham Member QRZ Page

I personally use the "standard" phonetics that I found in my NOW YOUR TALKING BOOK when I was studying for my tech test the only one I have ever had problems with is PAPA because since it is a repaeted sylablle it seems to me that it is 2 "p's" instead of one. I also notice that in other non ham things they are extremly helpful like if you have an accent or are talking on a cell phone.

6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

N9OQT,Aug. 21 2002,12:23 "Or another thing I hear alot of the bands is Kilowatt, some people use it as K and others as KW"

kilowatt is one word...from the way you use it in your post you are well aware of it......don't know why people have a problem with it ...if phonetics were used the way you suggest...kw would be kilo whiskey how can that be confused with kilowatt....... don't know what set of phonetics out there are the STANDARD set, maybe that is why the fcc removed the word STANDARD from part 97

dan, kilowatt 3 xray radio

7. KM8V

KM8V Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (K3XR @ Aug. 21 2002,13:14)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">dan, kilowatt 3 xray radio[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    If we're using the standard, how about "kilowatt 3 xray romeo" [​IMG]

8. KC9CEZ

KC9CEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Quote: (paraphrased, forgot who said it)
    "The wonderful thing about standards is how many there are to choose from."
    That being said, I was a Radioman in the Navy and hearing the police use last names as phonetics drives me up the wall. (Was that Larry Walter George or LWG? Can you tell?)  Consistent, clear phonetics is the only way to communicate.  Everything else is well... Amateur. [​IMG]

9. N6AJR

N6AJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I usually use a "standard " phonetic alphabet on My Id but when I want some one to remember my call I use  "all junk radio" , then they chuckle and usually remember the call.  

As far as standard phonetic alphabets, I have one that I learned in the military,  one I use at work on the radio, and one that they use for the local hiway patrol. these all are Standard phonetics, but they are all different, which one is the correct  standard version....

And why don't they spell phonetics phonetically?  hmmm
    fonetics ?  go figure..

tom November 6 alfa juliet romeo, nancy 6 adam bob randy, N6AJR

10. Guest

Guest Guest

I've noticed that the "dx'ers" tend to use countries or some obvious political subdivisions as their phonetics, i.e. America Italy 6 Ontario.  The newer stardard is probably best, i.e. Alpha India 6 Oscar.  But then again, as long as we communicate efficiently and effectively...

Ed  [​IMG]

11. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

QUOTE...N8USK..."if we are using the standard, how about kilowatt 3 xray radio...

who said WE are using a standard
    what standard are you talking about

kilowatt 3 x rated

12. W0RL

W0RL Ham Member QRZ Page

Greetings everyone,
    and Hi to KC9CEZ. I have also been a Navy Radioman and I agree with you.
    The International Phonetic Alphabet is the one we all used. Check your key
    to pronounce these words and see how many "on the air" users get it
    right. (such as Oscar, Victor, Quebec, etc.)

Roland, W0RL

13. K0IPG

K0IPG QRZ Member QRZ Page

I would have to agree that in most cases, standard phonetics are best. But there are instances where slightly different ones are necessary. For example, look at my call. K0IPG - Kilo zero india papa golf. All those phonetics are rather dull and un-enunciated (I really doubt that's a word, but y'all knew what I ment [​IMG] ). I don't have many problems during stateside QSOs, but when I'm trying to work DX, I usually change "kilo" to "kilowatt" and "golf" to "germany". That seems to catch their attention a little faster - and shouldn't it? Say "kilo" to yourself. Now say "kilowatt" - which sounds more distinct?
    Anyhow, like I said before, usually standard ones are best, but some small changes certainly can be made to better suit different operating conditions.

73 de K0IPG

14. VA7KBH

VA7KBH Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had my license for all of a few months now but the Standard International Phoenetic Alphabet is useful.... (alpha bravo...)

When I worked on Field Day, some on 20m were using "cutesie" calls like 'knowledgable" for "K" instead of something that actually has a "k" sound in it!!!

All I wish for is that people would use something that is recognizable - not silent letters!

VA7KBH

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah!! Standard phonetics forever!! But, then again, it might be more meaningful if "cutesie" phonetics were used. Y-A-W-N!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.