ad: Alphaant-1

FCC releases proposal for new filing fee structure

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K2IGO, Aug 28, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K2IGO

K2IGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I dont see this anywhere....

https://recnet.com/node/3182

2. KB4MC

KB4MC Ham Member QRZ Page

I second that!

3. K4RZM

K4RZM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just submitted the following Comment, feel free to use or modify it as you see fit.
    To submit a comment on the new rules:
    Go to:
    https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/
    On top bar, hit Search for Proceedings.
    In Specify Proceeding, enter: 20-220, Hit Search
    Click +Express on the next page next to the filing info.
    Fill out the form on the following page (Hit Enter after typing your name to make it stick)
    Hit the Submit buttons.

My Comment:

Whereas, the ULS (Universal Licensing System) is used for both Commercial and Amateur Radio Services, Specifically HAM Radio Operators,

and as the cost of maintaining the ULS is relatively fixed and incurs no significant additional burden placed on the system by Amateur Radio Operators,

and as Individual Armature Radio Operators are by definition "Small Entities",

and as Amateur Radio Operators provide a significant public service in times of National and Local Emergencies,

and as Amateur Radio License testing is conducted by Volunteer Examiners at NO COST to the FCC,

and as Amateur Radio has a long history of self regulation and policing that occurs at NO COST to the FCC,

I propose that the suggested License Fees of $50 per license and any modification are Excessive and Burdensome to the individual operators and also negatively impacts the community by weakening an essential resource with a long history of Public Service.

As the RAY BAUM act mandates a fee be established for all licenses,

I propose the Fee for all New Amateur Radio Licenses be set at $10, and fees for Upgrades and Modifications be set at $5.

I feel that these fees will be far less burdensome to the Amateur Radio Community, and still be sufficient to offset any minor costs that Ham Radio Operators have upon the FCC.

Best Regards,

Eric Burke

K4RZM

In reference to:

FCC 20-116

MD Docket No. 20-270
    Apendix B,

Initial Regulatory Flexibility Analysis (IRFA)

Section 38

38. This Notice seeks comment on new application fees and consolidating or deleting some existing application fees. The fees proposed in the Notice are based on the Commission’s costs in processing the applications. This is now required under section 8 of the Communications Act.152 In many instances, the proposed fees are much lower than current fees. In some cases, the proposed fees are similar to current fees or slightly higher. There are some new fees proposed for applications that previously had no fees. The Commission is required to base the fees on costs, but commenters may propose different calculations of cost that would result in lower fees.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2020
    N7YIQ, KG5EYC, YD4MIU and 2 others like this.
  4. K4RZM

K4RZM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

CORRECTION: Proceeding is 20-270. not 220

KC1HLU likes this.
  5. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

So why not remove that thread from the Home Page news since only those with special permission are able to access it?

Frankly speaking... I'm getting kind of tired of all the politics in Ham Radio. Back in the day it was taboo to openly discuss politics OTA. Now days I hear it quite frequently.

What really rubs me the wrong way? When Hams turn their QRZ page into a political advertisement or political statement... A little poke here and there, like in someone's 14 character signature line, is one thing. But, some QRZ members' page are nothing BUT politics.

Dan WQ4G

KK1N, NY6P, KD7PVT and 2 others like this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

It would be great before starting a new thread if the poster took a minute to scan over the first few pages of the forum to see if it's already been covered. Seems likely that a topic that might generate so much interest may have already been posted.

K0UO, N6ATF, WN1MB and 1 other person like this.
  7. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree 100% and have "complained" to forum management about the practice of "certain" people.

WQ4G likes this.
  8. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I wince somewhat (OK, quite a bit) when I see someone spell "HAM" and "armature". I think the first word was intentional, the second was probably a typo, or auto-correct.

9. W0UHF

W0UHF Ham Member QRZ Page

Armature...that's sure to get them "wound up"

NY6P, W1YW, K7JEM and 1 other person like this.
  10. K2IGO

K2IGO Ham Member QRZ Page

shocking

11. KO4GQP

KO4GQP Ham Member QRZ Page

I think most of us are comfortable spending $50, but the question is why should we? Let's say for example I am a disabled ham that struggles to articulate my FCC issued call sign. I am expected to pay $50 for the right to advance the art of amateur radio? Key word being amateur.

WA2DE likes this.
  12. N1WT

N1WT Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a hard time believing that amateurs cannot afford $5 / year for their license. I am not wealthy
    but that is about the price of a couple of 20 oz bottles of soda and a bag of chips.

Whereas most hams don't build equipment out of junk box or surplus parts and most ham radio equipment is
    fairly pricey I can make the case that $50 is not exactly highway robbery AND might be able to justify putting some funding
    into the enforcement that people on this very forum are always clamoring for. Right now amateur radio is
    just a money sink for the taxpayers though I will get all sorts of heat about the public service we provide
    for saying so. Paying our fair share is probably also a good idea to help prevent the politicians get the idea to auction off
    our spectrum to entities (small or otherwise) willing to grease their open palms.

No offense intended but as a gun guy I can see you are willing to apply some cash to your hobbies. I am surprised that it would be someone like you who would fuss about $5 per year.

73 Ron N1WT

WN1MB and N3FAA like this.
  13. KO4GQP

KO4GQP Ham Member QRZ Page

NARC

14. N3EG

N3EG Ham Member QRZ Page

And the main page link to this has been deleted. What a great front page QRZ has, with the scroll down keyboard buttons disabled unless you first click on the main page, and the page being so full that you always click on some useless crap accidentally. Same with logging in - the submit button is down below off the page with arrow button scrolling disabled - and you have to log in way too often.

15. KC5HWB

KC5HWB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Thanks for your efforts and time in administering this forum.