ad: MyersEng-1

FCC Proposes Eliminating Paper License Renewals by Surface Mail

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5UJ, Sep 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. AE8W

AE8W Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes. That would be nice if the certificate represented the requeset knowledge necessary to pass the test in that day. It does not and the ship sailed long ago.

On page 1 someone mentione 5000 annual filings by mail. This out of ~750000 == less than 1% want paper. Good luch with that. Probably should reach out to the ham fraternity to help .. just sayin'. Why the F should this even be a thing? Isn't Elmering a very important aspect of ham radio?!?!?

2. K3YGX

K3YGX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm an ol fart but I could care less how I renew my license(s) --
    Sounds to me like gubment guys actually have do do some work and that don't sit well with them.....
    besides, every time I renew, I have to wonder what will expire first?

K4XJ likes this.
  3. KD0QG

KD0QG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

--Simple solution-- is just make it a Lifetime Licence since you have already accomplished ALL the requirements anyway. Automatically renewed forever..
    ---I guess that brings back memories.. I grew up in the shadow of the Great Depression and World War II and sometimes older people would say ''What you young punks need is another Great Depression and then you will learn to work by cracky.''

KB2SUJ and W4NNF like this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You know, the XYL was the same way. I said, "Well, some anonymous clerk can get your checking account number off your check. Or you can give them your credit card number." The way to go is to just carefully monitor all your accounts. Everybody, including the government, will go all electronic because of the savings in money and labor that brings.

KD0QG likes this.
  5. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

But unless there were a guaranteed foolproof way the FCC would be notified upon the death of a licensee, the good call signs would eventually all be silent.

Since renewal is now free and easy, it mostly serves the purpose of ensuring that all current license holders are alive. Or at least, were alive at their most recent renewal.

6. KD3WB

KD3WB Ham Member QRZ Page

If the FCC is really serious about this, maybe they can meet us halfway. Allow us to renew, apply for, or modify a license without having to supply a mailing address.

Ben

Last edited: Sep 12, 2019
  7. KD0QG

KD0QG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The way thing seem to be going, the robot may be the only one with a steady job.

8. N8TUW

N8TUW Ham Member QRZ Page

Gonna say the same thing !

K4XJ and KD0QG like this.
  9. N8TUW

N8TUW Ham Member QRZ Page

Wasn't that the way 11 meters was done ? you know it was a ham band at one time to .

K4XJ and KD0QG like this.
  10. NM7G

NM7G Ham Member QRZ Page

The "back burner" message was loud and clear when the commission ceased administering license exams decades ago.

K3XR and KD0QG like this.
  11. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

I just moved and did a change of address and a vanity change from a 4 to an 8 (Otherwise the same Callsign). Change of address was approved in 2 days. The vanity change was less than two weeks. Nothing wrong with the electronic methods.

Ed

AE8W likes this.
  12. KE6K

KE6K Ham Member QRZ Page

As one of the "real old-farts", I think some consideration has to be given those who cannot use a computer for whatever reason. I can't do many of the things I used to do, and hams are not as helpful to other hams as they once were. My antenna went down and it took over a year to get someone to help me fix it; and it was non -hams who did it.

AA4MB, N2NOW, WA5VGO and 2 others like this.
  13. WY7BG

WY7BG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That reckless, heartless, and non-politically correct loose cannon WY7BG is an "old fart." ;)

AA4MB and KI7RPM like this.
  14. WD8BPQ

WD8BPQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Surely nice to be able to hang that paper Amateur Radio license up on the wall of the Ham Shack in a picture frame. Guess FCC and ARRL are very lazy these days and money hungry !

K4XJ likes this.
  15. N1ZZZ

N1ZZZ Ham Member QRZ Page

It wouldn't be that hard. The USCG allows for Mariners to use a website that produces a PDF with some, or all, of our endorsements that look a lot like the old school licenses they used to issue.

73 Jeremy N1ZZZ