ad: Schulman-1

FCC Proposes Eliminating Paper License Renewals by Surface Mail

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5UJ, Sep 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, the only comments you'll see here are from those who have figured out how to get online.

I wonder if a nonprofit club could volunteer to accept renewal applications by CW on 40m and forward them to the FCC via the Internet?

W7GST, K4AGO, N2EY and 1 other person like this.
  2. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have little problem with renewal electronically, though the process is excessively cumbersome, we know where Rube Goldbergs nephew works, at the FCC doing web design.
    I am saddened by the lack of the 'official document' of yore, that green paper like legal tender and very official. Though you can get an official PDF from the FCC and there are people that are able to 'make it look real'
    http://www.ae7q.com/misc/Generate.php

AC7RH, K0PV, KA2UVI and 2 others like this.
  3. K1NIK

K1NIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Aren't the licenses printable? Is that going to change?

4. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, the license is printable.
    No, that is not going to change.

Regards,
    -Bruce

W7GST and K1NIK like this.
  5. WA3TVH

WA3TVH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am surprised they have not proposed this sooner. Personally I jump at the chance to file as much as possible electronically, it is much easier. I have not renewed a ham license by mail in 20 years.

WA9JOQ and KU4X like this.
  6. N5CM

N5CM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm an old fart as well, older than the two previous who allege to be old farts. Thus far, I'm OK with online transactions, but I have internet service. I suspect there may be those out there with no internet service, and the proposed change would place those folks at a disadvantage.

K4AGO, WQ4G, K4XJ and 1 other person like this.
  7. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems like there are already some low-cost services who will file your license for you for a modest fee. Isn't QRZ one of those? W5YI?

W7GST, KD4IEM, K4AGO and 1 other person like this.
  8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that is the point and the cost of renewing those few licenses would likely not even amount to a rounding error in the FCC budget.

AA4MB likes this.
  9. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I happen to know of a few elderly men both hams and non-hams who don't have computers and internet. I know of a couple of men in their 40s who don't have computers and internet also. You can go use a computer at a library I suppose, but you still have to have computer skills if the FCC has its way. And you have to have an email address. Expecting a non-technical 90 year old man with no computer ability to do all this is a lot.

Does it strike anyone as ironic that a way of communication, namely ham radio, which is touted as being there when all else fails, will have to rely on the internet to get licensed? I can already hear non-hams asking, "If you have to use the internet to get a license, why are you even bothering with radio at all?"

K0PV, W7GST, VK6APZ and 8 others like this.
  10. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Tim,

I seriously doubt there is any amateur radio license holder that has absolutely no access to the Internet. The two pretty much go together.

For the truly isolated ham, s/he has to come into town sometime to do laundry, shower and buy food/supplies. During that time in town, a quick trip to a library, coffee shop or community center will give the internet access needed to do the dirty deed.

[Alleged Old Fart] Regards,
    -Bruce

G3SEA likes this.