ad: elecraft

FCC Proposed Rulemaking about paid employees and emergency drills

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K7FE/SK2017, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N3JHA

N3JHA Ham Member QRZ Page

The waiver process promulgated by DA-2259 was for government sponsored emergency and disaster drills not for emergency and disaster drills needed for AHA accreditation. And asking for a correct interpretation of the FCC Commission rules does not require filing for a waiver.

2. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

If you believe that the FCC will more readily grant a waiver than reinterpret their rule, then that's what you do. It is clear that the FCC has granted every single waiver presented to it. The odds that they will do this is high, also. If they don't, then the hospitals just have to manually submit the waivers. The AHA just sees it as an unnecessary hoop to jump through. I agree with them, but also would like to see the rule go back to its proper interpretation, to protect teachers, ham clubs, and others who also transmit communications on behalf of their employers that contain no pecuniary benefit.

Joe

3. N3JHA

N3JHA Ham Member QRZ Page

That is sure a stretch....but to each his own.

4. KT7DAD

KT7DAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a thought...

This weekend I did communication for a Rally race.

They also had their own ham "operators", mainly racing people just getting their tech. to operate ham radio during races.

This are in opposition to hospital workers people operating radio frequently during races, and having a secondary interest in ham radio as a tool (advanced CB). They have problems getting enough hams to voluntar for their races, so I guess that was the alternative they had.

Result is that when the terrain get difficult, like in Northern NV and the mountains, they had little understanding how radio and propagation work, with an exaggerated confidence i x-band repeaters, poor understanding of location and propagation. Ham radio is not just a "turn key" solution, not even v/uhf.

Not very good radio/net discipline or net control.

However we pulled it off, with a few radio related delays, so it is all good.

i am not criticizing, just pointing out a few concerns that may be amplified in a disaster when hospital workers are supposed to combine their hospital work with radio communication.

I think I pointed out earlier in some discussion that hospital workers should do hospital work, and hams should operate ham radios, this experience have strengthen my belief in this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.