ad: Alphaant-1

FCC Posts Start Date For LF/MF General Use

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA3ETD, Sep 15, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

perhaps you should reread my post, I clearly said REGISTER and only used the term "application" because others have misused it in this thread.

I clearly stated that the PLC was an UNREGISTERED user.

They are NOT a primary user on these bands

and as such they can not interfere with a LICENSED (primary or secondary) station.

K6CLS likes this.
  2. W6RZ

W6RZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

New PLC installations can't interfere with already coordinated amateurs.

22. New Buildout of Transmission Lines with PLC Systems. If an electric utility seeks to deploy a new or modified PLC system on a transmission line that is within one kilometer of a previously coordinated amateur station, the electric utility must employ a frequency in the 9-490 kHz range that has not been included in the amateur station’s notification, as ARRL suggests. If the previously coordinated amateur station no longer operates in the band, the electric utility may deploy a PLC system in that band.

https://apps.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-17-33A1.pdf

KB1JTE likes this.
  3. N1KGY

N1KGY Ham Member QRZ Page

Submitted for both my pieces of property, but no confirmation email(s) received -
    Typical one-way bureaucratic "you answer to us, not the other way around" garbage.
    That's ok, I've got screen shots. I suggest other folks do the same to 'CYA' as it were.

4. WA8FOZ

WA8FOZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Agree. My new meters do none of this, so perhaps you have defective units. Or perhaps there are alternatives.

5. W3IHM

W3IHM Ham Member QRZ Page

I registered. No r.s.v.p. Eh. Pushed the bits in, and see wot comes out.

If your meters are quiet, you are lucky. Last year, PPL put in 902-928 MHz part 15 "smart meters", repeaters, and data nodes. These blat FHSS over the entire band, putting blasts of noise every 300 kHz. These suckers are continuously firing off their "undamped wave" noise 24/7/365, except on leap year. My 927.5 MHz allstar node kept "cutting out", and the N3TUQ repeater kept "dropping" until I did some sleuthing.

Nobody registered their power meters on my site with their lat-long, so that I could review it and then permit or deny them operation.

But, I am a lowly serf in the kingdom.

6. WA3ETD

WA3ETD Ham Member QRZ Page

Guys, the UTC will NOT confirm your submission to their data base!
    One will only hear from them if they indicate the proposed station is
    within 1 km. of an existing PLC node. Not sure if there is an appeal
    process in place ...

John WA3ETD / WG2XKA Part 5

KB1JTE likes this.
  7. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not fully up on this yet. But I'm having a hard time understanding why we as licensed users would have to register and receive approval from the potential unlicensed, source of interference? Sounds almost as bad as a LAW giving HOAs final approval on antennas! Makes me think that we are losing many of the lobbying efforts......

If this gets to be a real problem with UTC and actual interference, we as Hams should not be shy about raising the appropriate STINK! IMHO of course.

Thanks,

Ed

8. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Have had the self reporting meter for around 10 years now can't identify any RFI from it however today in the mail received notice from the power company that they will be installing new meters between now and years end that should prove interesting.

9. NI9Y

NI9Y XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So far the electric utility has not installed remote meters only a water meter. So far the
    water meter is clean. I have notified the electric utility I do not want a remote meter.
    The electric utility changed out all poles and hardware this past summer for one mile
    around my QTH. Now I notice a picket fence noise early mornings every 10 kilocycles which
    disappears around 10 O'clock. That's a new QRM sound for my QTH. Always something
    interfering and probably get worse as the days move forward. My Lennox high efficiency
    furnace and heat pump generates a white noise from the broadcast band to 10 meters. I installed some
    large chokes which helped. I have notified the Lennox and the FCC of the furnace problem and so far have never
    received any response. Be sure to include the name and model number of the furnace or other noise
    generator to the FCC.
    Several years ago I was tuning around 3.525 KHz and heard telephone conversations clear as a bell.
    I monitored many hours and finally discovered it was a telephone extender given away free my Comcast.
    I drove for miles trying to pinpoint the device. Then one day the caller mentioned a broken arm and
    unable to drive the school bus. Ah ha Eureka my neighbor 600 feet south. I knew her because she
    had hauled my kids years ago. I went to her home and mentioned the broken arm and she became
    very upset. I told her I could hear both sides of the landline for miles around. I asked if I could
    come inside and she said yes. I noticed the black box plugged in the electrical outlet. I said there
    is your problem. She became very upset and ripped all of those devices out. I notified Comcast and
    they recalled every one and so far no more landline calls on 80 meters.

end-of my stories

10. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Mine have been fine for a while now, about 450W from a pair of Eimac cavities to a stack of 45 el loopers that had been place for many years took care of that.

Carl

11. W6GH

W6GH Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, here in Arizona I've been told that APS (Arizona Public Service) will switch out the electronic meter with the analog types. They charge $10 per month for the service. I have not heard anything about having to read the meter monthly and send them the numbers. Sounds reasonable though, my home is rural. 15 miles to the nearest gas station. It would be expensive and time consuming for them to drive out to the house to read the meter.

I would do just about anything to get rid of all devices that produce low frequency RF trash.

73, Jim W6GH

12. KD8ZMN

KD8ZMN Ham Member QRZ Page

If it trashes the AM broadcast band that is reason for concern. Even 15 minutes a day is bad if there is an emergency broadcast happening at the same time.

As far as that continuous LB digital noise goes, build a Faraday cage around your meter :D