ad: ProAudio-1

FCC Noncommital on Code Changes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K5OKC

K5OKC Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the argument for stagnation. Just because we had to do it, doesn't make it the only way to run billions of dollars in spectrum.

I didn't work hard for any of my amateur radio licenses. It's just a hobby, and it was fun. I'm open to massive changes to the rules, based on this century, and not the last.

2. K5OKC

OK, I've thought about it, then laughed my ass off.

3. K5OKC

If we forced physicians to learn CW, would that make them better doctors?

If we forced ham radio operators to learn how to amputate limbs, would that make them better communicators?

4. WB1WMB

WB1WMB Ham Member QRZ Page

What more can I say than I agree with Sarge.

5. WA4DOU

WA4DOU Ham Member QRZ Page

The issue was never " I had to do it so you should have to do it also" , no matter who ever advanced that arguement.
    The real heart, soul and mind of the issue is that unlike all the past generations who came before, this one decided they didn't want to do it. A lot of us from past generations found ourselves uninterested in morse code. Newcomers just don't understand or appreciate why its valuable.
    In taking such an attitude, they alienated many of the OT's. Therefore many of the OT's took the attitude that since many of the newcomers are "know it alls", they can fend for themselves.
    It was the "I don't want to do it" crowd that started the whole issue and it was a non issue for many years before they showed up. There may have been mild issues of contention within the amateur ranks prior but the "I don't want to do it" crowd brought real division to the ranks. The cohesion within amateur radio is long gone and its not comming back. Was it worth it to populate the bands with many who never had any interest in amateur radio in the first place? I don't think so nor did I back when hams started "recruiting".

6. WA4DOU

Keith, I suspect there is no doubt in many minds.

7. W2JLW

W2JLW Ham Member QRZ Page

I know of two "CB" operators that have no interest in ham radio and went and got their tech license.

That's all well and good as I am the one responsible for recruiting them. I thought I could get them interested in the thing's we do and what Amateur radio is all about.

The sad thing is they crash coursed and studied the book and memorized the question's and answer's and passed their test but they have no idea what they studied.

Both of these guy's have Kenwood HF rig's they use on CB. I congratulated them on passing their test. I then told them to get their General class Lic. so they can get on the phone potion of the 10, 20, 40, meter portion of the band and really use those HF rig's they have. They both told me they are not sure where those bands are and wasn't sure if their radio's had them bands!! My jaw dropped!! HUH!!

OMG! I said, Didn't you pay attention to what you studied? The answer I got was "All we did was memorize the question's and answer's". They admitted they have no idea what anything meant. Beside's, the only reason we got our license is so we can show our neighbors we have a license to operate radio and stop complaining about TVI and also to show people that were not dumb and we could do it. My answer to that was "ANYONE" can memorize the question's and answer's if it's given to them. How anout learning the answer's by studying the question's?

They hear they might drop the code for the General and are now waiting for them to do so. They will then do the same thing to get the General class License.

I don't know about you folk's, but I think this is a sad time for Amateur Radio. It's way to easy to give a license to someone that really doesn't know anything about it and don't really care to. In this case it's being used as a tool to flash at the neighbor's and tell the boy's their Ham's.

I was sandbagging one night and heard one of these guy's say. "You know, they better drop the code and make it easer to get a license if they are so worried about losing any of their precious frequency's." (That was said sarcastically) Boy that burned me up.

Please keep the code. It only show's that people that "really" have an interest in ham radio will go the extra effort to get their ticket. 5 WPM is not a big deal. It's just right to make someone put in a little effort and actually earn the respect for which the license stand's for. Not just crash coursing question memorizing in two week's. [​IMG]

8. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Ham Member QRZ Page

Lets see ....

NO-CODES have made a mess out of 75 meters ..... WRONG ...

Well then why is it a mess .... it must be BECAUSE of code ....

Drop the code and HAM radio will get better ........

Makes sence to me ! [​IMG]

9. W9WHE

W9WHE Ham Member QRZ Page

IF arrl gets its way, ham radio will get another "dumming down". We will be one step closer to CB. I think arrl is eyeing all those CB ops and licking its chops over all that potental $$$$$ from the sale of books and memberships! Just think about all those CBers that are very excited over the prospect of running 1,500 watts PLUS their "power microphone", you can bet arrl will be the chief benificiary.

ROGER that............BEEP.

W9WHE
    Proud to have CANCELLED my arrl membership!

10. K5OKC

One way to sell this idea, is to require bi-annual sending and receiving tests. Say $2000 for each testing session, which would be conducted by congressional appointees, who would contribute the money to the congressman's re-election campaign.

Those who don't pass, can't vote or re-test for two years.

11. N0DOZ

N0DOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone ever have anything DIFFERENT to say on this subject? Jeez, every time one of these code/no-code threads come up, the same blah-blah-blah gets written. I haven't seen an original thought on this stuff in YEARS, and that includes my own posts. No one cares any more, folks. The war's already over.

12. KB1ILU

KB1ILU Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, This is really going to irratate me.  Why the heck can't the FCC the IARU And the ITU just stay with the original ideas that they had what has it been now, 6 years, i passed my code, i don't care what they do but all this confusion is what makes this rulemaking run through all our heads, i say don't worry about it, and if they screw up they screw it up.  really look at it like this the FCC is not about making US happy its about making THEM happy.. so 73's for now... De KB1ILU

13. KB1SF

KB1SF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nor in mine.

And that's probably because it's far more inviting for some people to shoot the messenger rather than squarely face a reality they simply cannot accept.

Anyway, I, too, have said my piece.  It would appear the FCC is proceeding apace to largely de-regulate the hobby to the point that, “real soon now” all our Morse testing, sub-band-based incentive licensing and regulation by bandwidth blather will be quite moot.

Keith
    KB1SF / VA3KSF

14. WA4DOU

Go soak your head Keith

15. KB1SF

KB1SF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Many thanks for your kind words!

I rest my case.

Keith

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.