ad: HamHats-1

FCC Noncommital on Code Changes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Always there for the freebee:

2. N6BOA

N6BOA Ham Member QRZ Page

K8PBX...that's nice, classy.

3. WB9IIV/SK2024

WB9IIV/SK2024 XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wonder if the Big 3 Kenwood,Icom &Yaesu are in a tizzy wondering if they should continue having CW avail on there rigs?  :0  And maybe they have a stockpile to deplete.And if no CW could they be called all-mode  rigs? [​IMG] Maybe this is why this issue is still brewing with the FCC and the Big 3 [​IMG]  Money talks  [​IMG]

Cheers de wb9iiv

4. NA0D

NA0D Ham Member QRZ Page

Always there to reciprocate.

5. KE4CPC

KE4CPC Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know why we make such a big deal about CW anymore anyways... The whole of the community is 'dumbing down' and even those who did study for 20 WPM and 18 WPM are using computers to do their CW for them now... In fact, most contests that have a CW multiplier ofen cause the CW portions of the bands to be crowded with guys that don't even know code anymore. But their computers are tapping it out at 25-40 WPM and it's become taboo to send "PSE QRS" anymore.

I enjoy a real CW QSO where the person on the other end is listening and either copying to paper or copying to memory, what the other station is sending. Not this junk where it's sent from a keyboard and received on a screen, didn't they used to call that packet? I think packet's faster though... So then what's the point except to get points during a stupid contest.

Then that brings me back to the original topic, why have we allowed code to get to the point where it's at now? What difference is it going to make if we just let any boob with a cracker jack license as an appliance operator get on and use HF? They don't know code so they'll either stay off the CW bands or they'll flood it with digital-noise. (40+ CW with precision spacing could be the same as digital noise)

I guess if the FCC allows any boob with a microphone down on the HF bands, then it won't be long before they allow their microphone on all the bands. Apparently nothing is sacred anymore.

6. KB9AZA

KB9AZA Ham Member QRZ Page

the way i look at this is, if it gets more people involed in the hobbie its for the best. but they do need to find a way to make the people awhere of what you can do with cw that you cant with phone. i have had my ticket sents 1989 and i have the 5 wd a min. but i have not used it every. its not something i want to do with the hobbie. but the code has kept me of the hf bands becuase i could not get that 13wd. i tried and tried, gust could not get it. anyway i like what they are trying to do but hoop that they do something to save the code all togather. thank kb9aza.

7. N7YA

N7YA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well...

Im just one guy, im an extra because i wanted the extra spectrum. I passed the 20wpm in 1984 because i had to....but i use CW almost exclusively. i simply enjoy it.

but thats not controversial, that wont start a nice big fight. I dont want it to.

Nope, but this thread sure will, im sorry to say...I have never owned a keyboard. well i am typing with this one, thats about it....oh, and i have a DX7 for studio work, but i digress...i am an old fashioned, young ham at 40. I use an old SpeedX bug for dx work, a straight key for talking to novice/tech hams who actually get on HF (i love talking to newbies), I build my own antennas...i even use paper logs because i can convey the emotion of the moment better. and i like to go back and read my old logs....besides, paper logs dont crash. :) the point is, we can survive this...its up to the individual to decide how much they enjoy doing this and how much neccessity can still be derived from the ARS.

Anyway, i come in peace...i know this thread will become very ugly, and i dont really want to be here when it does.

Just watch, this thread will define what is wrong with this forum...i agree with the others, let this subject die. the FCC will do what it wants to do and it seems the 'fight' is falling on deaf ears, unless im mistaken.

I will continue to use CW, i will also use SSB when i feel like it. I know this post will fade into the backstretch, but please...lets all try to remain civilized in the coming pages....they are going to be dark, very dark.

Im boarding up my windows for this one.

73...Adam, N7YA

8. N3TTN

N3TTN Ham Member QRZ Page

Man, I almost broke a rib laughing so hard when I saw that one, and the description is very appropriate for the chuckster....nice work ekg!!

9. NA0D

NA0D Ham Member QRZ Page

All done with good humor.

10. KI9G

KI9G Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree. Have you heard some of those "old timers" NOT wanting anyone on the HF bands. Have you ever listened to some of those guys on HF telling people that 'THIS IS MY FREQ'? It's pathetic. I'm a no code tech running all vhf and uhf. I'm not going anywhere...staying right here next to echolink and my repeaters.
    Have a nice day!

11. K3NG

K3NG Ham Member QRZ Page

12. N8PU

N8PU Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with some of the others, either do or don't eliminate the code.

But then isn't the FCC a government agency, when if ever has any branch of the government moved with any speed at all, unless it is to give themselves a pay raise. [​IMG]

13. KI4KCJ

KI4KCJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Your definately right on the hate thing. This subject has caused so much hate in one of the best hobbies ive ever gotten in to. Turning HAM's against other HAM's because they want to wait for the code to be dropped. I used to be in favor of it, but all of the attitude about it makes it not even worth it.

14. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

After spending many hours composing my responses to the 18 petitions, only to see FCC take the laziest and cheapest path to a solution (I'm not saying NCT's are lazy - I'm saying the FCC is...) my response to their NPRM was pretty much "...Do it, and get it over with, so we can stop twisting in the wind...". I'm hoping they exercise a little bit more gray matter before the final R+O.

15. W0GI

W0GI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Adam,

I still have my DX7, though it is not used much anymore. I also have a TX816, though I have already sold one module on Ebay, with the rest going later.

The Hammond B3 is my favorite "old keyboard"

But I am a guitar player anyway, so it is ok for me to have ancient keyboards.

You are right, this thread will become another qrz.com "hell on earth". But what else is new.

Maybe CW is about dead, but it sure is fun, and the best way to work DX on AA batteries in a QRP rig.

The Elecraft KX1 is my next rig. Out in the woods, with 2 watts, and still working stations. Now that is cool.

--... ...-- Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.