FCC Noncommital on Code Changes

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Feb 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Call: KC0LXK Class: Technician

"Oh please, please, please, let the "hazing" stop so I can get in! Please please please.."

2. NL7W

NL7W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Passage of the Morse code element is merely the demonstration of a skill -- nothing more, nothing less. I really wouldn't care if it becomes a 30 wpm typing test, as it is a measurable skill, which requires gumption to pass. Gumption is an admirable quality. If you'd like to learn more about gumption, read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance by Robert Pirsig -- an excellent and rather intense read.

The definition of gumption is:

1. Boldness of enterprise; initiative or aggressiveness.
    2. Guts, spunk.

The definition of hazing is:

1. To persecute or harass with meaningless, difficult, or humiliating tasks.

Let's talk about Morse code being labeled as a hazing issue. Yes, Morse may be hard or difficult for some to master; it took me years to become good at it. Morse is a skill acquired through dedication and/or gumption. But, as far as Morse code being meaningless or humiliating, that is completely subjective and debatable.

Your use of hazing is an opinion in regards to the Morse code element. My use of gumption aptly describes the acquisition of the Morse code skill, and is far more applicable than this common excuse for not agreeing with, not passing, and the wanton removal of the licensing requirement.

BTW, traditions are a good thing, and Morse is certainly a tradition within ham radio. Moreover, the no-code tech is a beginner's license.

3. N2MMM

N2MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

NL7W, what I meant earlier is that we need to suck the oil we need out of Alaska and sell the land back to the Russians

4. kd4mxe

kd4mxe QRZ Member QRZ Page

kc0lxk-Whether or not Morse code is useful is irrelevant. If people find it useful they will learn and use Morse code regardless of the testing requirement.------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------ (this is true all the way,)-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ If they do not find use in Morse code then they have wasted time their time learning something they will never use. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ---------------------------------(I have already wasted a year trying to do the trash and have not got the trash yet, But I am working on the trash, other,s may like it ,and that is fine with me , But to me it,s just trash that I have got to learn that I dont have any care for ,after I pass the test I am still for any one that can get Rid of it as a Requirment , and if the fcc drops it I am with them 100% ) 73 Bill

5. NL7W

Bill,

The reason you haven't passed the simplistic 5 wpm Morse requirement is directly attributable to your attitude and the way you continue to view the requirement as, in your words, "trash". That's your problem...

Quoting a famous Eagles' song, I'll say, "Get over it". But as you know, you don't have to... it's your choice.

You'll still feel better about yourself if you do pass it, rather than waiting for the NPRM to come to pass.

A small sense of accomplishment is always a good thing.

6. AC0GT

AC0GT Ham Member QRZ Page

I can count on Charlie to come back with ad hominem. Perhaps you should discuss the issue rather than attack the person if you want to be taken seriously.

Morse code testing is hazing, in my opinion, because it is a meaningless task. I has nothing to do with fulfilling the basis and purpose of Amateur radio as defined by the FCC. It is a skill useful only to those that feel the need or desire to use CW by hand.

Whether or not one calls the Morse code testing difficult or humiliating depends on the person. It would seem much less subjective about the need to test on Morse code if one focuses on how meaningful the testing is today. The FCC is testing for radio operators, experimenters, and communicators. The FCC is not testing for telegraphers. Morse code is just one option among many to communicate. Note that word, "option". An Amateur is not required to make use of the skill they have learned, therefore the testing should be either optional or non-existent.

Using Morse code testing to determine "gumption" is making the testing difficult for the sake of making the testing difficult. In my mind that is the definition of hazing.

I agree that gumption is an admirable quality. There are many ways to test for gumption that would be more applicable to the privileges granted by an Amateur radio license.

I also agree that Morse code is a tradition among Amateurs. I just think that a tradition that needs the support of law to continue is not much of a tradition. I also think that the argument of tradition is insufficient to make or keep a law. There are many laws that were "traditional" that I am glad were abolished despite the tradition behind them.

Explain to me how Morse code testing is not hazing.

7. NL7W

Like I said earlier, present a measurable testing alternative that demonstrates a skill related to radio communications. It could be a digital radio related communications skill, like a measurable 30 wpm typing test. Maybe then the "old farts" will begin to take this whole issue more seriously.

Personally, I refuse to give into the notion that amateur radio licenses should be granted to those who have the possibility to memorize minimal tests without understanding or comprehension. Remember, our written tests are public knowledge and printed.

Just how easy to you want it to be? Our technical U.S. vocations and avocations should still require skills gained through measurable and demonstrated achievement - skills and comprehension exams that aren't public knowlege.

While our Nation's kids (and adults) fall behind the much of world in math and science scores, we still continue to expect less and less of them. Over the last decade or so, the reduction of ham radio licensure requirements is just another example of our Nation's liberal atitude towards education and all things technical.

This idea of me, me, me - I deserve it - without being measured against a standard, without having to work for it, is going to kill this country. It's already happening. I see it everyday within the telecommunications industry I work. The H1B visa program is supposedly filling the technical expertise void that American workers cannot fill. Case in point, over three quarters of the engineers at the last cellular company I worked for were from Asia or Eastern Europe.

If we give away our higher class licenses, without requiring kids and adults to actually demonstrate skills and comprehension, what are the licenses really worth? Will those who memorize major portions of exam pools, while studying little for comprehension, actually value their licenses the same as those work really worked or studied hard for licenses?

I've laid out my standards criterion. What is your plan for our license structure, besides the elimination of ham radio's last demonstrated skills exam? Do you have one? Come on, what is it? I dare you to lay out your responsible plan.

8. W5CMP

W5CMP Guest

WHATS THE BIG DEAL YOUR NOT LOSING YOUR TICKET,WHEN WE DIE ITS STILL GOING TO BE HERE, THE HOLE POINT IS TO KEEP IT GOING.I DONT CARE ONE WAY OR A NOTHER IF IT CHANGES CODE OR NO CODE,WHAT DOES IT MATTER ITS JUST SOMETHING TO BITCH ABOUT JUST INJOY IT,NO SINCE GIVING YOUR SELF A HARTATACK OVER IT THINGS CHANGE THE EARTH MOVES FORWARD NOT BACKWARDS...ITS APPLIANCE  OPERATERS NOW ALL THE GOOD STUFF IS IN THE PASS,THE KITS ARE GONE, DO IT YOUR SELF IS GONE,BUY IT PLUG IT IN AND TALK,I DONT THINK CW IS SO MUCH TO WORRY ABOUT,NOW THE TECHNOLOGY IS MESSING IT UP.BIG RADIOS BIG AMPS AND A CHEAP ANTENNA.............

9. kd4mxe

nl7w-Bill,

The reason you haven't passed the simplistic 5 wpm Morse requirement is directly attributable to your attitude and the way you continue to view the requirement as, in your words, "trash". That's your problem...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ----------------------------------------------well sir you could Be Right it could Be , Because I could not care less about the code ,But I am trying to get the krap anyway or enought to get to hf, then it is out of here I dont wont to see anything around here with code on it ,after I pass the test ,But if you like it that,s good I am ok with that, just enjoy it and let me enjoy the things I like and we will Be fine ,73 Bill

10. kd4mxe

nl7w-Like I said earlier, present a measurable testing alternative that demonstrates a skill related to radio communications. It could be a digital radio related communications skill, like a measurable 30 wpm typing test. Maybe then the "old farts" will begin to take this whole issue more seriously.

--------------------------------------------------------------------so I guess electronic,s is not a skill I have Been in communications electronic,s since 1965 and I have Built ever antenna from 440mhz to 160 mt tunner,s for these Band s plus the marine Band to , But I dont know the worthless code so I cant get on hf , with the communication we have to day to have to take a code test is a bunch of krap , But I am going to get the code But I will still Be to get Rid of it as a Requierment , that,s all ,73 Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.