ad: MLSons-1

FCC May Revise Rules Concerning Disruption to Comms During Disasters

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N1FM, Sep 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N5PZJ

N5PZJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is not about Amateur Radio, were all resources employed to their full potential, what failed and why?

TIERONE likes this.
  2. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

We know!

3. N5PZJ

Who knows for sure, remember LOKI. Lots of conjecture at this point.

4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Apparently, LOKI is not talking.
    upload_2021-10-3_11-24-9.png

N9GO, N5PZJ and (deleted member) like this.
  5. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

K8XG likes this.
  6. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ha ha , yes; But that's a Disney version, not the real LOKI of ancient past ... Had a Rocket acquaintance who as a Teen was making rocket motors. Mum [Pun Intended] told him to remain "Low Key". We he started his Hobby Rocket Motor Making Business he called it LOKI Research. He later sold it to another experimenter and moved on.

Side note: amateur rocketry , sometimes called experimental rocketry which is different than High Power or Model Rocketry; is where the former you make your own motors and the later you buy them from certified rocket motor manufactures, like you did as a Kid at the hobby store flying a model park rocket very safe. Who all back in history were experimental in their early days before becoming professional manufactures.

N5PZJ likes this.
  7. K8XG

The ones I have seen deployed only Hams can use them as they put them on Ham Freqs, not the public; and that is yet another reason that model fails.

So at a race you have a guy in a vest at a desk with a hardware VOIP old Cisco phone in a Go kit arrangement to talk to other hams at a desk somewhere else.

All you really need to do it put up a large long omni wifi pole [I have one] and a Ubiquity Rocket HP radio; and all the race people can talk on Smart phone Mumble/Pumble to a server running on a Raspberry Pi [works like Zello but does not need the cloud]. No need for vests chained to a desk to move traffic between race people and themselves.

Does not need the internet, the smart phone folks just connect to the Public Legal Ubiquity Rocket Wifi which has Mumble server on the Raspberry Pi below it. I have set one up for Proof Of Concept. Two different reactions happened here...

You can expand this to roof tops and Moored Dirigibles

Last edited: Oct 3, 2021
    1 person likes this.
  8. K7JEM

It's easy enough to build small repeaters in tool boxes that are self contained, including batteries. A solar panel can be connected to it to keep it going indefinitely. These can be put together on UHF channels, either ham or GMRS, for under $1000 total for everything. Then deploy it to a roof top or high spot and get up to 20 miles of coverage. If needing to link back to the internet, a small gateway can be located anywhere in range of the repeater that has internet access, giving outside connectivity to the users of that repeater.

K8XG and (deleted member) like this.
  9. K8XG

I have a friend with a GMRS repeater setup in the MTM Tree Stand Dry Box. Works well based on Kenwood TK series.

FYI GMRS has internet gateways now using Asterisk VOIP like AllStar does.

1 person likes this.
  10. K7JEM

Yep. I own three comm sites that have those deployed in AZ and NM. Sounds pretty good.

K8XG and (deleted member) like this.
  11. N1FM

N1FM Ham Member QRZ Page

All good points. I don't understand the fixation on Winlink and HF Nets and hanging around the EOC, when there are some simple things that can be done to address actual problems in the field. You two have mentioned what can be done simply and fairly inexpensively. The FCC pointedly remarked that an integration of COWS, COLTS, and the Internet can make a huge difference. Lee and Joe and others have discussed improving the generator situation.

I can only conclude that our "emcomm leadership" in the ham world are stuck in the dark ages. No data? No new ideas? The same old propaganda, year after year, and disaster after disaster? It really makes me wonder if they've just found a donation-generating formula, and they're going to stick with it, regardless of its ultimate inauthenticity. I worked in the field as a first responder for over 20 years and I haven't seen a new ham idea implemented during or since, and I've been retired from that job for years.

12. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

(Topic drift). Art, nice explanation!

I have a random assortment of Loki hardware. Presently unused. The reloads are great but not regularly available, and the hardware is hard to get.

13. N5PZJ

Tom,
    The fixation on WinLink and HF nets and the heavy dependence on Long haul HF is Unhealthy and each emergency situation demands a different type of response. Emergency managers Have been sold on instant internet, trunked phones, first net, 700 MHz, WiFi not to mention Satellite and optic systems get spoiled, but, and the pause is the point to ponder, Is the maintenance and care which these items must be attended, Starting with feed lines, antennas and RF concerns and then diving into the software and hardware elements which make up a system, it can get beyond the technical capability of a run-of-the-mill technician and require specialized attention. Even an 900 MHz MDS distribution system which is basically plug and play can sometime stump the run-of-the-mill radio technician or electronics technician! Cellular Technology is so specialized, Between different carriers due to modes employed, some May overlap but others use proprietary systems, hard to keep “Reserve” Techs in a locality due to overhead costs, COWs and COLTs on the commercial side are feasible but Amateur Radio 3.3 GHz are pricey!

Fuel & battery back up ideas are notable, in the Bayou Region, There were several tower failures, others had coaxial blown around and then building failures with leaking rain (Water Damage) other than percentage failures very few statistics are being released for the storm. At one of our repeater sites, the “Commercial” side was powered by Propane and ran out, due to the ground being soft, the truck Could not use the road To pump propane! The broadcast station got a portable Genset and everybody pitched in lugging gasoline to the site, WWOZ stayed on line, batteries got charged, repeater did not fail. The site manager for the tower company was grateful, we have a good working relationship, The little items were overload, but by working together we kept the site functional, the site was hardened, it made a difference.

Leadership, must show innovation but remain grounded in the reality we are the back up, not the main event. It’s like building a bridge, one must first fly a kite across a broad river then the string is used to pull a small rope Across the river, then a larger rope Until we can get the guide lines across the river. Amateur Radio should be the same concept, a bridge to restoring normal communications, not replacement but supplemental to an emergency. The kite string to call in the COWs and the COLTs.

14. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I took a deeper look at the FCC fact sheet on this, and it's really focusing on the larger communications networks the the public uses (cell/wireline phones), 911 PSAPs, and the public safety communications systems. Or, the calls into 911, and the comms out, and the resilience there in.

There really isn't an amateur radio play here that I see. If anything, it's quite limited - we can't act as a backup for the wired and wireless network.

15. N5PZJ

Exactly, the total commercial network went South when IDA came ashore in Lafourche Parish, Louisiana, with the 911 PSAP, telephone and internet out without any alternative. The Legal Beagles are really interested, the vultures are circulating about the carcass. Hence the LOKI reference. Low key.

Nothing mentioned about Part 80, 90, 95, 97.