FCC May Revise Rules Concerning Disruption to Comms During Disasters

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N1FM, Sep 27, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. WA0DTH

WA0DTH XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Man my head is spinning from trying to decode all the acronym soup in this posting.
    My feeling is there is still an important place for amateurs in emergency communications.
    We also can use our talents to assist in other modes of communications.

73, Terry, WA0DTH

2. KC3TEC

KC3TEC Ham Member QRZ Page

as one being new to ham radio Ive been dealing with the covid isolation scares and the fact that many ve's do not want to come out of hiding (for the past year and more).
    Ive finally found a site where im scheduling my test online available.
    and yes we have a lot of curmudgeons out there who are not only grouchy but very hard headed as well! BUT that is not all of us.
    as a first responder I can tell you that ham radio has a very good place in emergency communication, Not just the fact our radios can broadcast on frequencies outside the norm for regular communication, But our licensing allows us to use more powerful radios. as a ham operator we are a backup and a damn powerful one.
    police and fire frequencies are generally not open to the public for tactical reasons they are a restricted band ( while they can be programmed into a scanner you cannot transmit on them with exception of a life or death emergency)
    add to that fact that we learn specialized knowledge into the workings of radios, cabling, and antennas! In many instances some of us carry a ready box of parts and can even quickly build and tune antenna systems that will perform up to the task.

police and fire service personnel are trained to use their radios But are they trained to repair them? most likely not.

that being said we've had blackouts that took out communications, have been in places where cell service is out and our fire/police radios couldn't reach anyone, (mountainous regions) and storms that took out cell communications and severely limited a lot of police radios so yes were damn glad to have ham radios.

3. KI7SS

KI7SS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Our ECC here in Thurston County Washington has a radio room manned by ARES volunteers and used whenever called upon. There's no CB's in the room but there is HF, VHF, and Winlink equipment up and running and the ARES community actively practices message traffic in all formats. The CERT community uses FRS within areas, linking to the ECC on ham frequencies. The ARES community is very active and appreciated. However, not enough of the more than 1000 hams in Thurston County take the time to be ARES-trained volunteers, a serious issue. If trained hams are not available in sufficient numbers to be responsive in an incident, other approaches to communications must be considered. Still, untrained CB or FRS volunteers are of little use both because of their ineptness and the range of their equipment. Its a big problem.

4. KD7YVV

KD7YVV Ham Member QRZ Page

Not for me. I'd be glad not to show up, but it is my belief that as a ham, and I hope a decent human being, that
    I SHOULD answer the call if needed. As I said in a previous post, when I was a part of my local ARES group before
    I moved, we were activated once in 10 years. However, I tend to like the Country Cousin's motto (look up that net)
    Service and help to all mankind, when in need, call a country cousin.
    Wy mother who recently passed away always taught me to be a kind and caring individual.
    During times of "disaster" such as a storm, or a power outage, I make sure my family and I are safe,
    I check on a few elderly neighbors, see if they need anything. I believe doing that little bit makes
    me and the people around my little area something the professional responders don't have to worry about.
    For me, ham radio and the knowledge it has brought me is a great gift, and the best way to show my appreciation
    for that gift is to give of myself and help where needed when I can.

The professionals are not going to come looking for you if you don't show up.
    As far as they're concerned, unless they know you and you have trained with them,
    and have an agreement to show up if called, you should honor that agreement.
    Know what they will be doing instead of waiting for you?
    They'll be too busy handling whatever calamity has happened as they are trained to do.
    We hams are an inventive lot, we can get a station up and running with a piece of wire, a radio, and a battery.
    We have a lot to offer, and while things are vastly improved since the 1950's with technologies hams of that
    era couild only dream of, it is my belief that there will always be a need for simple, radio to radio voice
    communications. No starlink, internet, winlink or other felgercarb.
    To quote a great engineer, the more they complicate the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain.
    Me and my station will always be ready to serve if needed. That's what the SERVICE part of the
    Amateur Radio Service means. Be kind to your fellow humans, and that in itself is its own reward.

--KD7YVV

5. KD7YVV

Your EOC doesn't have a CB radio? Odd, I would think being near the highways one tuned to channel 9
    would be a good idea. The EOC in Kirkland had one when I was last there 3 years ago, along with a few
    FRS radios too. While not as popular as it was in the 70's it is still a good communications tool if needed.

--KD7YVV

6. KD7YVV

Agreed, such as during the Nisqually earthquake, the 800 mhz trunked system overloaded and went into failsafe mode.
    It's not just wild terrain that some radios have trouble with, it's cellular service too.
    In fact, the building I am at this moment, the cellular service signal isn't quite up to snuff, and I do drop calls sometimes.
    As I said, while these systems may be useful, simple analog radio to radio comms will always be needed without all the
    felgercarb. It is also my belief that hams as a matter of principle should know Morse code.
    I know it's not required anymore, but everything has a use and it's my opinion that hams that don't know code aren't
    lesser hams because of it, but I believe they're missing out on a fun form of communication.
    I don't practice as much as I should and I make no excuses, but when I took my test, 5WPM was a requirement.
    Besides, it's fun to learn and keeps my one brain cell sharp.

--KD7YVV

7. WQ2H

WQ2H QRZ Lifetime Member #214 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Once again Rodney, the epitome of "brass tacks".

You left out a reference to MARS. :)

W4NNF likes this.
  8. W1GCF

W1GCF Ham Member QRZ Page

You are subjecting others to to what you imagine and claim without given reason you "can almost guarantee". There is nothing in your comment that really responds to the issue or what the FCC proposes. Perhaps you have a useful point for others to consider but you really didn't articulate anything.

9. W1GCF

W1GCF Ham Member QRZ Page

The comments here are so disappointing. If you don't want to take the issue seriously, that's up to you. If you don't have adult thoughts, don't interfere with emergency comms and don't babble about what you don't care about. If you would interfere - then that's what the rule would actually be for and why it's needed. You also might consider that they are needed, do matter and you could learn about that - but jejune thoughts only show you didn't bother.

10. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

...or it's a sign that local authorities need to allocate more resource to contingency planning.

It's great that amateur radio operators are willing to help out in times of need. However, when resource permits, authorities should work to make arrangements to minimize the chances that outside help will be needed.