FCC License "Reference Copy" License now on Tyvek

Discussion in 'Ham Made Gear' started by N4EGA, Sep 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. AB3TQ

AB3TQ Subscriber QRZ Page

Am I reading between the lines on your website correctly?

Tyvek License is $9.00 with free shipping in an Envelope (License must be folded to fit in the Envelope).

Tyvek License is $9.00 plus $2.00 shipping in a Tube (License shipped in a Tube is NOT folded).

If you want an Official Copy Printed on Tyvek, the Official Copy pdf must be emailed to you.

2. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Although you are technically correct, try telling that to a DMV agent when you apply for your amateur radio license plates or the LEO who pulls you over and wants to see your FCC amateur radio license. The response that "you can look up the official copy of my license on-line at the FCC ULS site" is not going to be received well. Much easier to print it out, sign it, and carry it. And provide printed copies when asked. ;)

Regards,
    -Bruce

W5BIB likes this.
  3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Bruce,... I didn't have the gumption to point all of that out. :)

4. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Please re-read my post.
    I was responding to a poster who believed that a signature (on a document) is required to make a license valid.
    It is not
    ; the license is the electronic record in the ULS so there's nothing to sign.

I did NOT say that government agencies (e.g. DMV) or LEO's will be satisfied by showing them what's in the ULS -- for example on a computer or smart-phone screen.

In fact I specifically noted that a printout of an Official Copy or Reference Copy provides hard-copy documentation that you can use to show that your license exists in the ULS. ;)

5. AD0LR

AD0LR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I may be wrong but isn't there a requirement to display the license for the station operator/owner at the station? If so, while driving with your 2 meter/70 cm you would need to have a license ready for inspection. I seem to remember a requirement for repeaters to display a license at their location and maybe I am confusing that idea in my head.

In any case, I always carry an "official copy", wallet sized, signed and laminated in my wallet. I have no desire to "educate" a peace officer late at night on the side of the road. I would not use the ebay card, imagine the following dialog:

Officer: Please produce a license for this radio stuff you are using in your vehicle.
    Me: Here you go (as I hand him the ebay card).
    Officer: This doesn't look like any license I have ever seen.
    Me: Yeah, that's because I got it off Ebay.
    Officer: Step out of the car.

I have no desire to experience this, nor is arguing with the officer about what is an official license even worth it. Hand them a signed official copy with the only modification being lamination for durability purposes on the wallet sized card. An official copy, not a reference copy, why invite scrutiny? You can always educate them and their department later if needed.

But, with all this said, I have never had to produce an Amature License for a LEO. I suspect if I was ever required to provide proof of license it will have more todo with "hands free" laws.

Brian
    AD0LR

6. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

No. There is no FCC requirement to display an amateur radio license anywhere.

7. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That was me,... & what I said was: "(I seem to remember that a license wasn't valid until it was signed)" - [past tense]

This is the way it used to be. It used to state right on the license: "This License Not Valid Until Signed" Perhaps you weren't around as a ham then. ;)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  8. AD0LR

AD0LR Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Check 97.213 Telecommand of an Amateur Station.

(d) A photocopy of the station license and a label with the name, address, and telephone number of
    the station licensee and at least one designated control operator is posted in a conspicuous place at the
    station location.

Most repeater stations that I have worked on have some sort of telecommand (off frequency) for remote shutdown incase of a problem. Anyway it is good practice to leave a license copy and contact info at a repeater site.

K7JEM and AG5DB like this.
  9. N4EGA

N4EGA Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, except there are no lines to read between. The tubes are a little more expensive to use and ship, which is why there is a few dollar difference. That is all. For the reference copy, that's what the FCC will allow to print easily.

As to the question of FCC requirements, from what I understand, the ULS database IS THE LICENSE as it pertains to the FCC. That database makes it official. Have a nice notarized copy that has gold fringe on it but no instance in the USL? Too bad, not good enough.

The printed copy's, signed or not, are for showing someone that has an issue with you running a radio. As I said in the original posting, much to my suprise there are states that require you to have a copy of our FCC License in your car because of laws regarding police scanners and such. Aside from what I have linked to, I do not know which ones they are.

However, you should play it safe and order one from me! :)

AD0LR and W5BIB like this.
  10. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Your post made it sound as if you thought that it might still be the case that a signature is required. ;)

I've been licensed since 1977 and have retained of my initial license forms for each class of license that I've held -- Novice, Technician, Advanced and Extra.

And, yes, you are correct that a signature used to be required.
    The actual language that appears on the back of the forms that I have 1977-1981 is: "Licensee MUST SIGN on the face hereof before operation of the radio station begins."
    That language no longer appears on the form I have from 1996... so the requirement ended sometime between '81 and '96.

And, as I posted, it no longer is the case since there no longer is a paper license -- only Official Copies or Reference Copies of the electronic license that appears in the ULS. And the FCC neither routinely sends out Official Copies (sends only on request) nor requires license holders to have one.