ad: k1jek

FCC license numbers 3/15/05

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K3UD, Mar 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. kd4mxe

kd4mxe QRZ Member QRZ Page

ka5fap if you would stop your Bellyacheing about the code test you would have a good day 73 Bill

2. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

KA5FAP,
    Now you know that for decades all that was talked about was the crying and whining about code.

We as the OT's and OF's of Amateur Radio should be glad that the FCC lowered the standards so that this new generation could gain entry and take over the supervision of Amateur Radio.

With out their sage wisdom advice and futureistic prophesies we may have gone another few decades not aware that things were being done completely wrong.

We should be grateful that they can take the time from their deeply engaged studies, and shooting skip, to put us all back on the 21st Century track!! [​IMG]  [​IMG]  [​IMG]

3. W5MJL

W5MJL Ham Member QRZ Page

Orv, I find all of this so incredibly unbelievable that I am actually totally dumbfounded.

I wonder if some of these people who went to college tried to lower the requirements for graduation so THEY COULD GRADUATE. They have had to have some success lowering the standards somewhere. It certainly couldn't have just started with amateur radio.

I will never understand how someone could come into Amateur radio with such negative attitudes about its testing procedure. Especially considering the level of education needed to upgrade these days.

I have five kids. None of them have the type of attitudes that I have seen in this thread, so I know it's not just a younger generation kind of thing. I don't know what attracted some of these people to amateur radio, but whatever it was, it certainly had nothing to do with the pride or history of amateur radio.

4. W5MJL

I passed the code test at 13wpm bill.  I am not bellyaching about the code test.  I saw what was required of me at the time.  I took the time to learn both the written material, and the code.  I passed the test.  

Back then, we took our tests at the fcc office.  There was no internet as a resource, and there were no computers to help.  As I told you before, we basically just practiced sending, and listened to W!AW.  They still broadcast by the way, in case you didn't know.  You can pick up a sched on arrl.org.

Now when I went to take the test at the fcc.  I didn't go up to the man in charge of testing and pull him off to the side and say "ya know, I want to be in amateur radio, but I think this code is a waste of time"  Nope, it never even crossed my mind.   I just said to myself, this is what I have to do to get to do what I want to do.   I also figured it was something I was learning that I had never learned before.  In fact, I was kind of proud of myself for learning something that only amateur operators, military, and some commerical people knew.  It made me feel part of something.  

You know what else?  There were code complainers back then too.  I stayed away from their negativity.  I never agreed with them because their interests conflicted with mine.  I wanted to be in amateur radio, they wanted amateur radio standards to come to them.

Which takes me back to attitude.  If you have the attitude that code is a waste of time, you are going to have difficulty passing the test.   You have to embrace the code before you can ever let it go.  When you embrace it, you actually may not want to let it go.

5. kd4mxe

6. W5MJL

Thanks for the better day, lol. I spend at least 2 hours every day on hf. And I fall asleep listening to 80 meters every night. If I do more than that my yl will kick the crap out of me.

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Let the congregation say AMEN!

8. kd4mxe

ka5fap ok on the hf , and I do know about the yl,s I go down that Road every day 73 BILL

9. AC0Y

AC0Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Youre right! When you dumb down the tests then all you have is DUMMIES. THE ARRL is doing all that they can to help us by dumbing down the test as fast and as hard as they can in the name of saving the bands. While saving their publishing business (that's where the money is).
    The Brittish government is going to open the bands and make it all CB radio (unregulate it) just like the ARRL is trying to do.
    There are EXTRAS (extra-lights(nearly no code)) who can't figure out which end of a Microphone is the business end. Too bad. The hobby is being taken over.

10. KB9VWI

KB9VWI QRZ Member

Yeah welcome to the midwest. TCARS and tcars.org no longer seem to be active [​IMG]

I guess this is what happens when I go to college and miss out on the radio communitty for 3 yrs

11. KI4HPZ

KI4HPZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think we should go to 20wpm HF and do it right....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.