ad: Radclub22-1

FCC Letter to Hi-Fi SSBers

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WA3VJB, Apr 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. W2PM

W2PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Riley needs to focus on rule infractions - not matters of personal pique or annoyance. We hams can do that ourselves.  Moreover, RIley SHOULD BE WORKING WITH THE DIRTY KEYCLICK RIG MAKERS LIKE YAESU - to get them to rid their products of the poor designs which cause huge click problems especially in contests. The 1000's are well known for this problem.

2. W4CNG

W4CNG Ham Member QRZ Page

There are many dialogues going on out on the web on this issue.  I have posted a "Frequency Plan" out on the Yahoo Groups SSB Group.  It addresses frequencies on most bands except 40 meters.  Why do it now, and have to re-do it after International Re-Farming of the frequencies.  My plan does not plop down ESSB on top of AM, that is kinda dumb, like putting RTTY down on top of Slow Scan.  Everyone wants a small piece of the pie, the RTTY folks have theirs, Slow Scan has theirs the CW folks are learning to live with PSK-31, and so on.  This can be done, it just takes a little application of non emotional intellegence.  Take a look at it and reply over on Yahoo.

Thanks
    Steve W4CNG One of the "Little Dogs" not on the porch.

3. W4THM

W4THM Ham Member QRZ Page

sooo
    THIS IS WHAT IHAVE TO LOOK FORWARD TO IF I UPGRADE TO HF???

come on folks.. all this bandwith, all these freqs and yet we all fight over who gets to talk on 20m? reminds me of why i left cb.

the more i hear about things like this the more i lose interest in upgrading. dont care say you? you will 10-20 years from now.

ke4mcl

4. w7nvq

w7nvq QRZ Member QRZ Page

I do not see where Hi-Fi SSB inhances the reliability of amateur radio communication, which is what hams should be concerned with. Any experimentation has been and will continue to be done in the broadcast studio environment...where it belongs. Nothing sounds worse than the obnoxious ringing of a SSB signal on the ham bands. I see no purpose in this type of activity, as SSB was not meant to be used in this manner. That is why broadcast stations use AM and FM. Thank God they haven't attempted to kill us with Hi-Fi CW yet!

Kelly, AH6NJ

5. PA5NIQ

PA5NIQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah, I'm glad we don't have this problem over here in Europe. I can see logish and pointless (most of the time) discussion.

If FCC was so after a concious use of frequencies the FIRST thing they should do is RESTRICTING the max power output.

We can do very well with just about 400W max (&#33[​IMG] here in crowded Europe, I don't see the reason why the States needs 1500W... Most of the countries here has less than 500W max limit and everyone is more less happy with it. To be honest most of us Europeans runs just barefoot (100W) or less (like M3xxx stations - only 10W allowed).

73 de Adam PA/M0NIQ (running barefoot with G5RV)

6. W1RME

W1RME Ham Member QRZ Page

I have patiently read most of the posts here and on SSBaudio. I've upped my frequency of listening to
    14.178. I have an Icom 756 Pro that has a transmit bandwidth of 2.9Khz.  In front of that is a Behringer 1124 equalizer for the new (and I love it,) Heil Gold Line Pro mic into a Bellari single tube mic preamp.  I am told that I have a nice sounding signal, I run no processing and most controls are not turned fully clockwise [​IMG]
    That said, I offer my 2 cents.  It seems to me that most of the hams posting on this subject of audio and ssb seem to feel that they have been elected to a board to solve whattever problems they seem to note with operation on 14.178 and 17 meters.  I listen a lot and while there are some big signals saying some repetitious things I think that the interference in the form of burps, clicks, and other nonsense which is ignored for the most part, should be the subject for action by Mr. Hollingsworth as deliberate interference. What enjoyment, advanvcement of technical acievement, or communication can possibly be had by such silly, unique, unusuall and illegal actions?
    The whole non-issue has received far too much attention in my opinion. There are many, many instances of poor and illegal operation that we should be concerned with, and as a group we should come together to further the practice of Amateur Radio in a mode of helping one another achieve an enjoybale experience when we turn on the equipment to listen and then transmit, if appropriate.  If you enjoy the
    "watchdog" activity then report and keep records of the maliscious and inane interference that appears on our frequencies and send Mr. Hollingsworth  something that has merit and something that he can do something about in terms set down by the FCC instead of an innocuous letter such as was sent to 4 individuals.  I am a mountain climber, of no account, by avocation and I have a saying that I think is approproiate here, "When it ceases to be fun, then it is time to turn around and go home." I have found over the years that it is really quite easy to move the VFO, bandswitch and if it's really a bad day, the power switch.  
    So my 2 cents amounts to we really need to be concerned with friendly, help to one another to communicate more and seek the best that we can, and stonger action where we see blatant violations of the rules that we know and are set down in black and white.
    Whew!

Roger a.k.a. W1MZA

Be Kind And Gentle To One Another

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.