ad: chuckmartin

FCC ISSUES SIGNIFICANT RULE CHANGES

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KE5FRF

KE5FRF Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok, just skimmed through some of that, will read it further when I get a chance.

But I didn't actually see where any bandwidth was gained, looks more like it was just juggled around a bit to cut the throats of CW ops and accomodate the phone bands. Am I correct? I heard someone locally say something about more bandwidth gained on 20 meters. Did I miss something?

2. AA1MN

AA1MN Ham Member QRZ Page

I, for one, am looking forward to the day when the CW requirement is removed. It is only a matter of time beforee the FCC wisely removes it.

Removing the code testing requirement, by the way, will not remove code from being used on the amateur radio airwaves no more than there not being phone requirement prevents the use of phone operation.

And what's wrong with CB? Does having an amateur radio license bestow the right on its holder to judge those who don't poorly?

Chuck, AA1MN

3. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like at least one more Christmas morning with code practice oscillators under the tree!

John K7FD

4. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, Chuck, you are entitled to your opinion.  The FCC did refarm the bands in a reasonable manner.  And, in the process, took into account usage by mode.  And, mode bandwidth as well.

Reducing, but not eliminating the CW portions and expanding the phone portions only makes reasonable sense.

And, they had the good sense to stop proliferation of wideband digital robots on HF as well. (by virtue of affirming the maximum digital bandwidth at 500Hz)

CW will remain as a mode.  And, should be a requirement for some classes of licenses.  Perhaps, too, how to count in binary, octal and hexadecimal bases as well.  :)

BTW, bold script is useful for highlighting.  I turned yours off.

5. N5RFX

N5RFX Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes you did miss something. You are correct that the entire 80-meter band is RTTY/Data and 75 meters is still Phone/Image, but the frequency range of 80 and 75 meters has changed. 80 meters was 3.50-3.75 MHz and will be 3.5-3.6 MHz. 75 meters was 3.75-4 and will be 3.6-4 MHz. The automatic subband remains at 3.620-3.635, which was in the 80 meterband where RTTY/Data is authorized. Now the automatic subband is in 75 meters where Phone and Image is authorized. Since data is not allowed there anymore, I don't think that PACTOR stations can operate there.

Mark N5RFX

6. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

What the heck is a phone requirement? Never heard of that before!

73 John K7FD

7. K0RGR

K0RGR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

OK - first of all, one of you geniuses attacked me a few weeks ago when I mentioned this NPRM on the help board. When I suggested that FCC was considering giving Tech+ and Novices the General CW bands on 80,40, 15 and 10 the comment was "...K0RGR is not a member of the FCC and if FCC were going to do such a thing it would be major news...".

Do you prefer your crow barbecued or fried?

As for the bandwidth proposal, I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but the bandwdith proposal was designed around this NPRM. Yes, by expanding the phone bands even more than ARRL proposed, they will change the other proposal. But that's two NPRM's and probably a couple more years' wait to see how it comes out.

I also don't see them telegraphing anything about the code test here. But, their position on the code test has been stated repeatedly. For them to suddenly reverse course would require them to somehow justify it, after they have already previously ruled that it is not justifiable. I suspect it's going away, but maybe not this year.

This is a great victory for ARRL. They got more than they asked for, and they just asked the commission to act on it again a couple weeks ago, so it seems FCC is listening. The commission adopted almost everything they asked for.

I would not be surprised if ARRL asked for a reconsideration on the 80 meter band. I think they went too far with the phone band - I was hoping to see digital in the 3600-3650 segment.

Oh by the way, EchoLink is now explicitly LEGAL. My 2 meter auxiliary link is OK - indeed, they specifically mentioned VoIP in their decision. Sorry EchoLink haters.

Also note that they took great pains to avoid making PACTOR III illegal, even though they imposed a 500hz
    bandwidth limit on some new digital modes. Yep - I will sending pictures with MixW soon!

8. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

Really? I always thought it was a sign of bad breath!

73 John K7FD

9. K7FD

K7FD Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the 'extra' room on 80m! Looks like I'll be adding another 2 foot or so on the ol' inverted vee [​IMG]

73 John K7FD

10. AA1MN

AA1MN Ham Member QRZ Page

I hope that there is no misundertanding here regarding my hopes that the CW testing requirement be eliminated and it being kept as a mode for amateur radio operation.  The two are quite seperate and different issues.

Obviously, I'm not a fan of CW myself but hold no ill will to those who cherish using code as a means of communications on ham bands.  More power to 'em who do.  Likewise, those who are CWers - or "coders" as I both affectionately call them - shouldn't show animosity to those who, like myself, don't care for it.

CW, be it a test requirement or not, will always be a part of the amateur radio airwaves and justly so for those who enjoy it.  Those who don't just won't.

And yes, I realize that bold is for highlighting ... it's just that everything I have to say is highlighted

Chuck, AA1MN

11. WA0LYK

WA0LYK Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, you are reading the R&O wrong. In Region 2, the following applies.

Paragraph 303 defines the authorized frequencies bands for each class, while 305 defines the authorized emission types in each band.

For extra class, 303(b) now defines:

80m 3500 - 3600
    75m 3600 - 4000

For Advanced class 303© now defines:

80m 3525 - 3600
    75 m 3700 - 4000

For General Class, 303(d) now defines:

80m 3525 - 3725
    75m 3800 - 4000

Since 305 © shows no changes to 80m or 75m, THEN:

Extra
    RTTY, data 3500 - 3600
    Phone, image 3600 - 4000

Advanced
    RTTY, data 3525 - 3600
    Not Authorized 3600 - 3700
    Phone, image 3700 - 4000

General
    RTTY, data 3525 - 3725
    Not Authorized 3725 - 3800
    Phone, image 3800 - 4000

This means Extra class licensees CAN NOT send RTTY, data emissions between 3600 - 3725 (only phone, image) while Generals CAN send RTTY, data emissions in this area.

It also means that Advanced Class licensees CAN NOT use 3600 - 3700 for anything where they were able to use it for RTTY, data!

Tell me now, Who has won and Who has lost?

Jim
    WA0LYK

12. KN4OK

KN4OK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think some of the changes are very good. I am a cw op and I don't mind giving up some of the bandwidth. Probably the biggest thing is the expanded phone privilege on 80 meters. The hams that control "Their" frequencies can keep "Theirs" and the rest of us will now have an opportunity to talk on the band. [​IMG]

13. WA0LYK

Actually, 80m was NOT redefined for Generals. I hope it stays that way, otherwise Generals will lose a lot of RTTY, data bandwidth. Advanced hams have lost a lot of bandwidth anyway.

It sure looks like Incentive Licensing, Version II.

It does mean that General RTTY, data will be competing with Extra Phone users.

It also throws a big monkey wrench in the works for wider data bandwidths. By reducing the RTTY, data emission freqs for Extra and Advanced to such an extent, I suspect wider bandwidth data modes will be looked upon as unnecessary.

Jim
    WA0LYK

14. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Reception must have been bad up in the "safe zone" where you were. In New Orleans where I was, I heard several health and welfare calls on CW from St. Bernard, Jefferson, and Plaquimines Parishes to operators outside the damaged area on 40 m. There were no dedicated emergency stations on CW. Since Katrina there are several NTS, N.E.T.S. and ARES nets that will maintain a watch on 7111 on CW in future storms. Doing an internet search on 7111 and CW will yeild info.

Also, some of the areas where you were in Washington Parish are taking part in a simulated disaster test on 10/28/06 and the 7111lHz frequency will be monitored for CW along with 3711. (I presume these freqs will change as necessary in the future due to the R&O). The general feeling was that Louisiana dropped the ball on monitoring for CW and I agree. Thanks to the Midwest stations who picked up the slack.

What I wonder is, if you're wrong about this what other bad info are you giving out? [​IMG]

15. WA0LYK

One comment about "CW" bands being reduced. You folks are really talking about the RTTY, data subbands being reduced significantly. CW is allowed everywhere in any given license class's authorized frequencies.

What really has happened is the reduction in space for operating the newer digital modes.

Remember this the next time you're talking to someone that operates PSK31 and can't find room on the band! It might be appropriate to express a little sympathy that more room was needed for Phone, image.

Jim
    WA0LYK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.