ad: M2Ant-1

FCC ISSUES SIGNIFICANT RULE CHANGES

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WA5BEN

WA5BEN Ham Member QRZ Page

As an Advanced Class licensed for over 43 years, with worldwide HFVHF/UHF/SATCOM communications experience in secure military and commercial arenas, I have yet to see a positive advantage to CW in a real-world situation. That probably explains why the mode has been discontinued on most ships -- and on shore stations.

I know brilliant technical people who have not learned CW, and total dolts who can run 40+ WPM. The desire and/or ability to learn CW does NOT make a better -- or worse -- operator. Neither does it imply any technical skill or knowledge.

For those who want to claim "emergency communications need", I can tell you that CW was NOT used in the aftermath of Katrina, and has NOT been used in any emergency communication of which I am aware during at least the past 10 years.

Yes, CW is nice for those who wish to play CW. No, it is not an assurance of ability, skill, knowledge, desire, and/or willingness to learn.

2. WB6BNQ

WB6BNQ Ham Member QRZ Page

It amazes me how PART 97 rules are seemingly so hard to understand.  I will admit that knowing the history of all the rule changes might help, but it is just not that complicated.

First, “CW” is permitted on all frequencies (except in the 60 Meter Band) in the U.S. Amateur service <span style='color:blue'>subject to the operator’s class of license</span> (vis-a-vis privileges).  So, for those that don’t get it, I hope the following makes it clearer !

<span style='color:red'>NOT WITHSTANDING “TYPO” ERRORS --- The following is the NEW Arrangement for the U.S. 80/75 Meter Amateur Band in Region 2 :</span>

Extra class “CW” from 3500 to 4000 KHz

Advance class “CW” from 3525 to 3600 KHz and again from 3700 to 4000 KHz

General class “CW” from 3525 to 3600 KHz and again from 3800 to 4000 KHz

Novice/Tech+ class "CW" From 3525 to 3600 KHz

<span style='color:blue'>YES, those portions from 3500 to 3525 KHz and again from 3600 to 3700 KHz are exclusive to the Extra class license.</span>

WB6BNQ

3. VK2HV

VK2HV Ham Member QRZ Page

come over to Australia,,,we give out Call Signs FREE with every 2nd packet of Corn Flakes !! hahahahaha
    No Code required,,,just show us you can TUNE a radio and use an Antenna Coupler...

4. N5RFX

N5RFX Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually the automatic subband from 3.620-3.635 is no longer authorized for RTTY/Data. This means that Pactor stations are no longer authorized to operate here. There is a conflict between 97.301 and 97.221.

The automatically controlled stations did get somthing out of this R&O, images that occupy less than 500Hz bandwidth are authorized. Of course this does not apply to automatically controlled stations using PACTOR III, but who can really tell what those stations are transmitting.

Mark N5RFX

5. N4QA

N4QA Ham Member QRZ Page

Once again, Uncle Frank has saved us from the boneheads at ARRL HQ!
    You go, FCC!
    Wonder if FCC accepts canceled ARRL memberships for admittance into FCC's 'Save amateur radio auxiliary' ?

Bill, N4QA

6. AB0WR

AB0WR Ham Member QRZ Page

Huh?

I don't see where the order changes 97.305 at all for 80m.

RTTY/data is still allowed exactly where it always has been.

Did I miss something?

I'll admit I haven't had much time to read the whole thing through and analyze it but it would appear to only allow Extra amateurs to continue using RTTY/data from 3600-[​IMG]?

So Extra phone will have to mix in with all the other Extra users in this space.

Perhaps we are going to get our "mixed" segment to see just what can share with what?

Looks to me like the FCC hosed this one up.

Or did I miss something?

P.S. A quick re-read shows that perhaps the change to 97.305 means no more RTTY/data on 80m/75m ** AT ALL**. Wouldn't that be a kick in the pants!!!

tim ab0wr

7. KB9BVN

KB9BVN Ham Member QRZ Page

How's that? CW is allowed on virtually any amateur radio frequency. ...present 60m allocations excluded of course.

8. WZ4I

WZ4I Guest

As usual, these discussions usually turn into a code vs. no code discussion (sometimes a pissing match), but this post sure has hit the nail directly on the head, and driven it home. Although I am for keeping the code as a requirement to posses ANY amateur licenses (the NCT ticket was a mistake IMO), WA5BEN’s post rings so true.

The removal of the "code" will not be the end of amateur radio. The end of amateur radio as some of us have known has already begun. The influx of operators with little or no technical skills, those not willing to learn AFTER receiving their license, those not willing to let go of the CB roots are the ones that will bring amateur radio down.

73 and good DX
    WZ4I

9. N3AIU

N3AIU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham radio, like everything else, must change to survive.  Sad but true.

I used to check into the phone and CW nets on 80 meters regularly and I enjoyed them very much -- especially the CW nets.  Most of the nets may be obsolete.  Feel free to disagree.  Having said this, I'm certainly not looking forward to hearing a minority of "CB-like lids" from 75 meters plow over the nets after the phone expansion occurs.

At least those guys can't use this excuse: "I've been using this frequency for 40+ years, God gave it to me, I've forgotten how to use my tuning knob, so YOU have to move."

73, Nick DL/N3AIU/P

10. NI4JM

NI4JM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, it's about time. Thank you uncle Charlie! Anyone been down on 75 meter phone lately? No real esatate down there anymore. Not only that the audiophiles who run +-6khz wide are taking up most of the room anyway. Finally some room to breathe! Thanks again uncle Charlie!

- KE4EAO

11. NI4JM

NI4JM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thats ok. They don't have to move. I actually know how to turn the VFO knob and how to tune my amplifier. No biggie here. Let them stay on the freqs that they bought and paid for back when dinosaurs roamed the earth. [​IMG]

12. VA3KSF

VA3KSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Your understanding is correct.

Keith
    VA3KSF / KB1SF

13. AC3P

AC3P Ham Member QRZ Page

AMEN!

14. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

No, Tim, they didn't hose it up.  Actually, they hosed up Regulation by Bandwidth.  Great!!!!!

Its clear (that) the FCC wants to continue to limit bandwidth of data modes to 500Hz below 30MHz.  Period.  They denied the ARRL's request for a 3kHz bandwidth and said so plainly.

You know what that was, of course, Pactor II and Pactor III being slipped-in sideways.  Yes, the FCC will, via revision of 97.309(b), now allow unspecified digital codes as are Pactor II and Pactor III below 30MHz.  But, Winlink will have to get by using not more than 500Hz of bandwidth below 30MHz.  That has been clarified.

This was a great win for those of us who fought the addition of greater than 500Hz data bandwidth below 30MHz.  It clearly demonstrated that the FCC DOES listen to commenters and NOT JUST THE ARRL.

15. K7YB

K7YB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

its about time they expanded the phone segments. Alot of unused spectrum on 80 will get used now. Sure, some CW nets (which I participate in) will have to move (or not)...but below 3750 has been pretty unused for the last 10-15 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.