ad: CQMM-1

FCC Investigating Amateur Radio, Commercial Application Processing Glitch

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KC3DRZ, Jul 7, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KC3DRZ

KC3DRZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

2. N2YIR

N2YIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Ahh. The FCC....

Moving at the speed of government.

In the private sector webmasters and IT departments wouldn't be able to go home until the issue is resolved. I know personally. I work in IT at such a company.

KF5RRF, KB9RGD and KM4TIN like this.
  3. KI3U

KI3U Ham Member QRZ Page

Well for what it's worth - I got on the FCC ULS Tuesday morning (5 July) a couple of days ago to renew my license. The following morning (yesterday), just under 24 hours later it was a done deal with no errors.

Berj / KI3U

WD8FM likes this.
  4. KS6N

KS6N Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a change application in on uls from 6/29 and it's still pending.

KI4UDV likes this.
  5. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds like the ULS has been orangelighted.

At a former employer, we built a room for our air compressors. They painted the exterior brown. I put up a luminaire to indicate that the compressor control was turned on. I actually got a brown incandescent Edison base lamp to blend in with the walls.

I wonder if they still make those brown lights. We could brownlight the ULS.

KB9RGD likes this.
  6. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yup, spent many an hour day or night at the computer / on outage calls until the problem is resolved. I'm sure they will get the problem fixed soon.

Not getting much sympathy from me on the two week wait... Before everything was computerized it took months for that new ticket to arrive in the mail! I can remember checking that mailbox every day...

KB0TT, W0JRM, KB9RGD and 1 other person like this.
  7. W1MCK

W1MCK Ham Member QRZ Page

I think that the ULS is hit or miss I was talking to one guy who passed his test the same day as mine and it took him two weeks to get his call as opposed to me who took four days I don't know how it was possible but I guess it was.

8. KI3U

KI3U Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if there is a client platform issue in this ULS problem. I used a Linux machine for my super-smooth license renewal.

Berj / KI3U

9. KD4JPF

KD4JPF Ham Member QRZ Page

Bet you had to walk 5 miles to school barefoot like my father ,the distance grew each year and the temperature got colder. :) PS: I loved him dearly and miss him very much.

W0JRM likes this.
  10. KC3DRZ

KC3DRZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not looking for sympathy, thank you. Just posting news that is a concern to us.

KI4UDV and KB9RGD like this.
  11. K4LKY

K4LKY Ham Member QRZ Page

I too, have a change application that is still pending submitted on 6/24.

12. K7HV

K7HV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I wonder if the slowdown has to do with the fact that the Amateur exam question pools changed on July 1st and there was a rush of applicants at the end of June - rumor had it that the new question pool would be more difficult.
    I have two friends who took the test about 2 weeks ago who have not had their Generals upgraded to Extra via ARRL VEC's. Usually it is a matter of days. I hope that their problem does not involve loss of the test results data...

13. KW4EK

KW4EK Ham Member QRZ Page

There is no loss of test results, as the VEC has all that information. ARRL VEC has already stated that they are prepared to refile the affected individuals results just as soon as they receive word that the server side issue has been resolved. The only real impact this has is the unfortunate delay in processing new and upgraded amateurs...which is probably a greater inconvenience to the first time amateurs than the established (whom can at least operate under their upgraded privileges immediately by amending their call with "/AG" or "/AE")...it is difficult to wait indefinitely for your new callsign to show when you have all the excitement of passing your first exams and are eager to get on the air for the first time. Hopefully it all gets resolved soon, though it is odd that it seems to be affecting a specific VEC above others...so not sure what the issue is there.

14. W3ZW

W3ZW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It seems to be only affecting the ARRL VEC. I taught a small class on 6/18 and one of the new Techs got his license yesterday. The other is still waiting. Tomorrow makes 3 weeks since the class, ARRL VEC confirms the file was sent to FCC 10 days ago.

15. KI3U

KI3U Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE="KB2FCV, ..............

Not getting much sympathy from me on the two week wait... Before everything was computerized it took months for that new ticket to arrive in the mail! I can remember checking that mailbox every day...[/QUOTE]

Yes that was a big part of the excitement - checking the mailbox every day for that envelope from the FCC.

Berj / KI3U

KB0TT likes this.