FCC GROL

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KE8GME, Apr 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KE8GME

KE8GME Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All,

im working on my a&p to work as a pilot mechanic, but i was wondering about adding the grol to my resume.. besides aviation in avionics what other industries can you make a decent living? What are the industries and details of the job if you can, instead of just saying maritime.

Thank you.

K2JK likes this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Fewer and fewer require a license. We're pretty much down to maritime and aviation, now. Maritime being largely inspections of vessels' shacks. Having the license may impress an employer outside those fields, however--if you don't mind doing a little studying, it might not be a bad idea.

NE1LL likes this.
  3. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

How many threads does qrz need about this?
    Who Needs A Commercial Operator License?

Radio Maintenance and Repair
    You need a commercial operator license to repair and maintain the following:

• All ship radio and radar stations.
    • All coast stations.
    • All hand-carried units used to communicate with ships and coast stations on marine frequencies.
    • All aircraft stations and aeronautical ground stations (including hand-carried portable units) used to communicate with aircraft.
    An A&P license is 1000000 times more valuable as a career enhancement than a GROL.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    K4AGO, K0UO, NE1LL and 1 other person like this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are going to get a GROL, you should also get both GMDSS licenses. The GROL by itself doesn't allow you to do much, even in the fields that require it.

K0UO likes this.
  5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Having a GROL will not ensure a job anywhere. Even in aviation or shipboard work, unlicensed technicians often work "Under supervision" of a GROL licensed and agency accredited superior.

However, having a GROL will increase and broaden your technical knowledge. It shows an employer that you have above average initiative and smarts, and that you aren't just drifting through life. It may be a decision breaker to your advantage when you are compared against a sea of generally similar applicants.

In my experience interviewing electronics technicians and engineers, few have ever bothered to obtain a GROL license, despite having excellent educational and formal training backgrounds that would make the exam fairly easy. A GROL holder stands out these days.

K0UO, NE1LL and NL7W like this.
  6. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some two way industries still require a GROL or equivalent certificate from a qualified source, such as PCIA or APCO, etc.

K0UO and NL7W like this.
  7. KA0HCP

Reconsidered.

8. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

I used to be an avionics tech and earned my GROL [with radar endorsement] back in college. I didn't think it would come in handy again but sure enough, I applied for a county, tech support job, recently, where one duty of it was to perform first/low level tech support of the radios and computer terminals used inside their police cars. What put me over the top of all the other candidates was that I mentioned that I had a GROL, so you never know. (I turned down the offer because they offered less than what I make now, and I make a pittance!)

K4AGO, K0UO and NE1LL like this.
  9. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

An incompetent manager like Dilbert's pointy-haired boss might think that but everybody else knows that having GROL only means you can pass a multiple choice test by memorizing a question pool. No different than ham licenses.

K4AGO, K4PIH and NE1LL like this.
  10. KA0HCP

*pat, pat*

Nope, my head is still oblong.

"Now, go back to your damp, dank hole under the bridge, you cynic."