FCC grant/ID waiver in 90s HF transceivers - was this a thing?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by PY2RAF, Nov 1, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. PY2RAF

PY2RAF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi there QRZers! o/

I am trying to find the FCC ID for the FT-840 and I have stumbled upon a doc that states that a number of HF transceivers in the 90s were exempted of FCC ID/grant if their TX frequency were below 30 MHz.

Some other equipments like FT-1000, TS-870, a number of TenTecs and Icoms (see list below) are claimed to not having FCC ID due to this exemption.

So my question here; is this indeed a thing or not? If it is true, what were the law/rule grounds back in day for such exemption?

I appreciate.

P.s.: Transceivers that would fall into this category:
    ICOM
    IC-707, IC-718, IC-725, IC-726, IC-728, IC729, IC-731, IC-732, IC-735,IC-736 IC737,IC-737A IC-738, IC-741, IC-745, IC-750, IC-750A, IC-751, IC-751A, IC-760, IC-761, IC-765, IC-775, IC-775DSP, IC-780 e IC-781.

Kenwood
    TS-50, TS60, TS-180, TS-440, TS-940, TS-850S, TS-950S, TS-950SD, TS950SDX, TS-570D, TS570DG, TS-870.

YAESU
    FT-747GX, FT-757GX, FT-757GXII, FT-767GX, FT-600, FT-650, FT-655, FT-840, FT-890, FT-900, FT-920, FT-980, FT-990, FT-1000D, FT-1000MP, FT-1000MPMarkV, FT-1000MPMarkV Field.

Ten-Tec
    Corsair II, Delta, Jupiter, Omni D, Omni V, Omni VI, Omni VI Plus, Orion, Orion II, Paragon, Pegasus.

2. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good morning Rodrigo,

Can you post a link to the doc you mentioned?

Regards,
    -Bruce

3. PY2RAF

4. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

RAF:

47 CFR Part 15, the only regulations that pertain to the certification of amateur radio equipment, with the exception of external r.f. amplifiers capable of operation below 144.0 MHz, specifically exempts commercially manufactured receivers capable of receiving signals below 30.0 MHz except for those receivers in equipment designed for the 40-channel "CB" frequencies only. As such, amateur radio equipment that doesn't go above the 10-meter band does NOT have to have 47 CFR Part 15 certification.

It was when 6-meter band, and then higher frequency bands, were incorporated into the HF equipment that certification, of the receiver, had to be accomplished before the equipment could be imported, into any area administered by the FCC, for commercial sale. Again, with the exception of commercially manufactured external r.f. amplifiers capable of operation below 144.0 MHz, there is absolutely NO certification for amateur radio transmitters.

The individual amateur radio operator is responsible for insuring that the signal does meet the technical requirements of 47 CFR Part 97 and NOT the manufacturer of the equipment!

By the way, 47 CFR contains all of the regulations enforceable by the FCC.

Glen, K9STH

K0UO and PY2RAF like this.
  5. PY2RAF

Hi Glen - @K9STH o/

Hey thank you very much for your post, with plenty of references!

I see. So let me itemize my understanding so you can vet it.

1. So back in the day, those transceivers were 160-10m, thus, not needing to undergo Certification (and waived the need of a FCC ID)
    2. This ruleset (47 C. F. R., Part 15) is still current
    3. However, while item 2 is true, the nowadays transceivers also ships the 6m band, and thus, subjected to the certification (and thus the need of a FCC ID)

Are my understandings correct?

Thank you very much!

73 - Rodrigo, PY2RAF.

6. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

RAF:

Absolutely correct!

When an advertisement says that FCC certification is pending, if you look at the specifications of the unit, you will see that the equipment can receive frequencies higher than 30.0 MHz.

Actually, 47 CFR Part 15 requires certification for commercially manufactured receivers capable of reception between 30.0 MHz and 960.0 MHz. Above, and below, those limits, certification is not required.

Glen, K9STH

K0UO and PY2RAF like this.
  7. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Note that it's generally not the transmitter that needs to be certified, only the receiver. When you look up the FCC ID of a commercial ham tranceiver (assuming it is certified at all), you will find it is certified as a receiver only. There is no testing of the transmitter circuitry. We licensed hams are assumed to be competent to do the job of evaluating our transmitters by ourselves.

I'm not sure the regulators got that exactly right, but that is the current state of the regulations.

PY2RAF likes this.
  8. PY2RAF

Thanks for the information @AG6QR

Yup, this is in line with my Grant/TCB of my FT-991A:

FCC IDENTIFIER: K6620575X50
    Name of Grantee: Yaesu Musen Co., Ltd.
    Equipment Class: Scanning Receiver

Found the relevant piece of information in CFR.

CFR Title 47, §15.101 (B):

(b) Only those receivers that operate (tune) within the frequency range of 30-960 MHz, CB receivers and radar detectors are subject to the authorizations shown in paragraph (a) of this section. Receivers operating above 960 MHz or below 30 MHz, except for radar detectors and CB receivers, are exempt from complying with the technical provisions of this part but are subject to §15.5.
    Thanks everyone for the help!!