FCC First Class Radiotelephone license

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W8NGA, Dec 11, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W8NGA

W8NGA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wondering who on QRZ had one of these licenses back in the old days? Having a FCC First Class Radiotelephone license meant getting employment and today, its replacement the FCC General Radio Telephone license isn't worth the paper its printed on.

Just curious how others feel?

Thanks, Greg

W6EM and KO4ESA like this.
  2. KE3FG

KE3FG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, I got mine in 1969 IIRC. Just a few years later I heard that they were no longer required to work as an engineer at a radio station.

KO4ESA and SA1CKE like this.
  3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a 1st phone and a 2nd Radiotelegraph

KO4ESA and N5PZJ like this.
  4. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, the 1st phone WAS required to work on DIRECTIONAL AM stations untill the late 1980s.

KO4ESA, WA1GXC, K8AI and 1 other person like this.
  5. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I earned mine in 1975 and used it in broadcast engineering and later, at a TELCO on their IMTS and point-point ╬╝wave equipment. Today, some employers still require it.

KO4ESA and NL7W like this.
  6. WB4WHJ

WB4WHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I got a Second class in 1979. A few years later I got the replacement General Class.
    I got it to apply for a Radio Tech job with the rail road.
    I did not get the RR job. Oh well. :)
    Bo
    Curmudgeon & old crow

KO4ESA likes this.
  7. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, got mine back in the day w/ a RADAR endorsement -

Now the GROL is only required to adjust, maintain, or internally repair FCC licensed radiotelephone transmitters in the aviation, maritime, and international fixed public radio services. It conveys all of the operating authority of the MP. It is also required to operate the following:
    • any compulsorily equipped ship radiotelephone station operating with more than 1500 watts of peak envelope power.
    • voluntarily equipped ship and aeronautical (including aircraft) stations with more than 1000 watts of peak envelope power
    • Only persons whose commercial radio operator license bears the RADAR endorsement may repair, maintain, or internally adjust ship radar equipment.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Maritime_Distress_and_Safety_System
    For the GMDSS service - Maintainer license, written exam element 9 must be passed. However, to obtain this certificate an applicant must also hold a General radiotelephone operator license (GROL), which requires passing commercial written exam elements 1 and 3 (and thus supersedes the MROP). Upon the further passing of optional written exam element 8 the ship radar endorsement will be added to both the GROL and Maintainer licenses. This allows the holder to adjust, maintain, and repair shipboard radar equipment.

Shame their isn't any ship repair places here in town....

KO4ESA and N5PZJ like this.
  8. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

Per the union agreement with the railroad, the GROL is a requirement for employment. Since mine keeps me in a paycheck, it is worth far more than the paper it is printed on!

N4BC, KO4ESA, N2EY and 4 others like this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Me, too. Both in HS, 45 years ago.

IIRC you couldn't get a First Radiotelegraph without some special credentials so I believe I wasn't qualified for it.

The First Phone was not an easy test, it was tougher than the amateur exams. I did study for it.

Replaced by the GROL a long time ago, which I've never used for anything and don't know where the certificate is. Might have used it to start a fire in the fireplace or something.

KO4ESA and K4KYV like this.
  10. AD0HE

AD0HE Ham Member QRZ Page

Got my 3rd phone in 1961, Second and First in 1969. Quit AM/FM radio in 1971 to work microwave and in 1972 I changed again and only needed the Second to work mobile radio. Kept the First renewed until about 1984 when the FCC gifted me with a General. I changed jobs and don't even know what happened to it.... Still have expired 1st phone in a drawer somewhere.....