ad: UR5CDX-1

FCC fees for amateur radio - updates on implementation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N2RJ, Jul 9, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KU4X

KU4X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Jim,

The only way I can think of to do that would be to get a vanity call, resulting in a new, 10-year term, then reapplying for the old call using the previous holder rule.
    (Just another version of the Vanity Call Two-Step.)

Do you know of another way to go about it while outside the 90-day window?

Regards,
    -Bruce

KO4ESA and M1WML like this.
  2. W4CDO

W4CDO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My license expired on September 20, 2021. I renewed it on June 21, just missed the fee. I used the FCC online site and my license was renewed within 24 hours. Read the online form very carefully, it was very legalese.

Jerry W4CDO

K8PG, KO4ESA, N2EY and 1 other person like this.
  3. N2EY

N2EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Ding ding!!

That's exactly the method!

I wonder if anyone has done it....

73 de Jim, N2EY

KO4ESA and M1WML like this.
  4. KL2WX

KL2WX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Men with $3,000 radios don't want to pay the government $3.50/year for a license. Don't ask what I pay in licenses every year just to shoot animals...

K7LZR, KK3Q, KO4ESA and 3 others like this.
  5. AD5NM

AD5NM Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember when license fee was $20 every 4 years and every upgrade and we had to test at a field office. I'm not going to complain about a $35 fee that would be over $100 with inflation. At least my GMRS fee was reduced to $35 from $75. A pretty fair trade-off in my personal opinion. Hopefully it will bring about some much needed enforcement.

KO4ESA, KD5BVX and M1WML like this.
  6. N3IOE

N3IOE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This is like a TV rerun. We seen the show. We know the ending. Do we really need the same people to rehash this subject over and over again?

KO4ESA, M1WML and WN1MB like this.
  7. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

So...you're a time traveler. Somebody call Art Bell. No, wait...never mind.

AJ6KZ, KO4ESA, W4CDO and 1 other person like this.
  8. K5TUE

K5TUE Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember when even a CB license cost money. Quitcherbellyachin. If those who dont want to pay to play, then don't. Just let your license expire and you wont have to pay anything. Problem solved.

K7LZR, W3FHT, N1DQQ and 4 others like this.
  9. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Here in Germany we have the fee for a long time ago and until now. It always changed the amount in cause of the budget which had to be used in the past. The service of the BNetzA (German FCC) isnt for less. So the BNetzA is always there, when there is a RF interference at the hamradio bands or maybe a standing intruder . So these equipment against the disturbances costs much money. At next the BNetzA got always a look on imported goods, which could cause any interference to stop them before its too late. At last they do a good job in the administration of the hamradio users or at next the announced antennas which are are above the PEP of 10W EIRP. Surely there are more important things they do, but all this isnt for less. So the fee should be ok in the US too, when the FCC do the same.

KO4ESA, KK4NA and M1WML like this.
  10. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

The German regulator BNetzA is one of the last remaining to take amateur radio somewhat seriously.

In contrast to other countries, a quite substantial yearly fee is charged, but in return there is some legal recognition, and active enforcement of interference cases.

Further, the exams are hard, which weeds out the "dead-wood".

When the amateur radio exam levels with respect to the HAREC syllabus were evaluated 10 years ago, the German exams came out on top.

Myself, I would very much like to see the German approach used in more countries.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

K8PG, W7ASA, KO4ESA and 4 others like this.