FCC Extends Waiver Permitting Use of PACTOR 4 for Hurricane Relief Efforts

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KS2G, Sep 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Pactor 4 exceeds the current silly 300 baud speed limit. That's the only reason it isn't allowed under Part 97.

KF4ZKU likes this.
  2. NP2G

NP2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have used Pactor 1,2,3 and would love 4 . It uses less band width than any ,ANY AM Station out there . It also uses Less band width than ANY ESSB station out there .

The present system can select 1,2,3,or 4 as it denotes the signal level This allows or can speed things up as signals increase (More messages less time)

It's forward error correction ability is super.

Used on the commercial frequencies it brings HF digital to it's station faster than any mode out there .

As this Hurricane emergency is proving Quick Data communications caring health and welfare messages is needed It just works better with Pactor 4 .

W4RAV likes this.
  3. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

What messages? Perhaps you could post some here so everyone could see the "emergency" requests like "send down the Arctic cooler with Publix ice, it lasts longer". That last one was from the Bahamas, where are all the US related
    digital emergency messages from Dorian. I see lots of tests, net check in's, and one ICS213 request for a gallon of Edy's ice cream. Yup, there are disaster comms in progress and as usual the comms are the disaster.

KA0HCP and ND6M like this.
  4. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Then thats where you need to use it.

Just pay for your e-mail on the boat;)

K0IDT likes this.
  5. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It should be apparent by now what the ARRL strategy is. It doesn't matter if there is any actual traffic handled by P4 or not. What matters is the ARRL requests and the FCC approvals. Done enough times, it becomes routine, and once it's routine, the ARRL will ask FCC to make it legal all the time and the FCC will agree.

KX4O, K0IDT and KA0HCP like this.
  6. SA6CKE

SA6CKE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is it 300 baud or 300 bps (bits per second) that the limit is?

It may make a huge difference since baud is modulation changes per second, and at each modulation you can actually transfer more than one bit.

7. K1NIK

K1NIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Is there any legitimate reason for this mode to be restricted?

I’ve only been licensed for a few months. Still learning quite a bit.

8. PA0MHS

PA0MHS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FCC §97.307(f) limits digital data emissions of Amateur stations operating below 28 MHz to a symbol rate of 300 bauds. So if one symbol represents 1 state of a QAM-64 signal (6 bits per symbol), you're legally transmitting 1800 bps.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019 at 5:32 PM
    KX4O, NE1U and SA6CKE like this.
  9. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There's more to it than that. The ARRL claims to represent all amateurs to congress to fight for the radio sectrum and the ARPA, etc, etc. What leverage do they have? What is their purpose for being in the eyes of our congressional leaders, who know nothing about amateur radio? Emergency communications and public safety, of course. So asking the FCC for use of Pactor 4 during an emergency AND having the FCC approve it implies that amateurs are using PACTOR 4 to serve the public, whether they are of not. It furthers the appearance of usefulness. It's a bargaining chip. But, we've seen how valuable that chip has been during negotiations between the league and Washington.

KX4O likes this.
  10. N5YSQ

N5YSQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I totally agree with this Post.. And I have a SCS Pactor 4 Modem that I have had for years, eagerly awaiting the OK to use it.. Has not happened so far.. I would and will help if HELP was needed by any means I have, BUT I do not wish to give up everyday privilege's for the World Savers and Do-Gooders..