FCC Drops Code

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions and Special Events' started by NA2P, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC7NIL

KC7NIL Ham Member QRZ Page

Me? I'm waiting until it is offically dropped before I upgrade. I've had my Tech license for over 10 years with never a desire to learn morse. I have no problem with CW, but if I ever had learned it to get my General, I would have promptly forgotten it and thrown it in the bit bucket. I find APRS and IRLP very interesting for now. [​IMG]

2. KB2VXA

KB2VXA Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi again,

After reading the posts about the elitist attitude being discouraging I must relate a rather surprising (to me) short story. All references that may reveal identity are avoided to preserve our friendship.

I have a CBer become ham friend who was one to encourage me to become a ham and elmered me in proper operating procedures. Recently this person passed the 5WPM test and upgraded to General thanks in part to my encouragement. Shortly thereafter this person became a VE, congratulations are in order, one more gateway has been added.

All of a sudden true colors were revealed, I'm now faced with that all too familiar attitude one may expect from an old fart who came up through the ranks from spark. Roots forgotten, a monster was created with a telegraph key used as a weapon.

Even I who have known this person from CB days and developed a thick skin from abrasion feel something inside that's hard to describe. I can imagine how a newbie or non ham considering joining our ranks would feel when confronted by a screaming banshee wielding a key like a sword and spewing forth a torrent of dits and dahs with murderous intent.

Those artistically inclined may draw the appropriate cartoon, those who are not may draw the appropriate conclusion. The code requirement may have been dropped but CW will never die, unfortunately neither will the banshee (plural).

One final thought, I'm wondering how this one expects to advance in CW proficiency or even retain any with none other than a 2M FM mobile. Bit of a paradox now isn't it? I believe you know the dual meaning of "rusty" and how it applies to a flaming key-sword that proceedeth from the mouth so I'm not overly concerned, I have my own reasons for upgrading to General despite the name this one called me for "getting something for nothing".

On to better things I go with the backing of coded hams, some CW only ops too so the opinion of a minority of one is of no consequence. We'll stay friends despite our differences as we always have.

3. KE7IMB

KE7IMB Ham Member QRZ Page

This is to go into effect 30 days after it is published in the federal register correct? it still has not been published. and what if it never gets published? just some questions I have.

4. AE6IP

AE6IP Ham Member QRZ Page

Correct. It doesn't go into effect.

The latter is not likely to happen. There are rules the FCC has to follow and one of them is that once they've approved an R&O it has to be published.

Patience. It'll get published.

5. KE7IMB

KE7IMB Ham Member QRZ Page

Would it not be a big laugh if it did not get published.

6. AE6IP

AE6IP Ham Member QRZ Page

It would, but that's not going to happen.

The FCC has already sent the R&O to the GPO and now it's just in a stack of stuff to be printed.

7. AB0VN

AB0VN Ham Member QRZ Page

My name is John.
    I felt very good when I passed my code test. It wasn't a big accomplishment to some people.
    For me ,it meant being part of a very important Family.
    I am sorry to see a code requirement eliminated.
    It appears this is driven by some Financial cause.
    So sorry.

8. KC9HAS

KC9HAS Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KC0KBC

KC0KBC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm loving the fact that it hasn't been published yet. I was trying very hard to get ready to take the Element 1 before it was discontinued, but a family crisis has intervened.

In my area, testing is done once per month on the 3rd Saturday. If the rule isn't published by the end of this week, that means I may get a reprieve and have until the February testing session to get it done (which I can do easily, if current progress is any indication).

Then, I can go on working on it in a more productive manner, to increase speed and proficiency. But I really want to pass that test.

10. WB4AM

WB4AM Ham Member QRZ Page

Lowering the requirements, lowering the standards, lowering the respect, it is a trend in our society.

If a very small lower standard group of gay activist can make a difference for the worst, we can make a difference for the better!

We just can't do it by typing at this key board.

Ignore this statement and accept or take action on those beliefs.

My wife always says action is stronger then words!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.