ad: elecraft

FCC Drops Code

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by NA2P, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. AE6IP

AE6IP Ham Member QRZ Page

It would, but that's not going to happen.

The FCC has already sent the R&O to the GPO and now it's just in a stack of stuff to be printed.

2. AB0VN

AB0VN Ham Member QRZ Page

My name is John.
    I felt very good when I passed my code test. It wasn't a big accomplishment to some people.
    For me ,it meant being part of a very important Family.
    I am sorry to see a code requirement eliminated.
    It appears this is driven by some Financial cause.
    So sorry.

3. KC9HAS

KC9HAS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

4. KC0KBC

KC0KBC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm loving the fact that it hasn't been published yet. I was trying very hard to get ready to take the Element 1 before it was discontinued, but a family crisis has intervened.

In my area, testing is done once per month on the 3rd Saturday. If the rule isn't published by the end of this week, that means I may get a reprieve and have until the February testing session to get it done (which I can do easily, if current progress is any indication).

Then, I can go on working on it in a more productive manner, to increase speed and proficiency. But I really want to pass that test.

5. WB4AM

WB4AM Ham Member QRZ Page

Lowering the requirements, lowering the standards, lowering the respect, it is a trend in our society.

If a very small lower standard group of gay activist can make a difference for the worst, we can make a difference for the better!

We just can't do it by typing at this key board.

Ignore this statement and accept or take action on those beliefs.

My wife always says action is stronger then words!!!

6. KG6HDK

KG6HDK Ham Member QRZ Page

hooray! looks like a date has been announced: http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2007/01/19/101/?nc=1

should be posted on or around January 24 and goes into effect February 24th.

I will be one of the first "low standard" , ungrateful, non-morse code learning, and whatever else you want to call me amateur radio operators. [​IMG]

7. K2DMV

K2DMV Ham Member QRZ Page

There is more to be concerned about nobody becoming a ham and the bands not getting used. This is likely to give the hobby a boost and even possibly add a few CWers to the band, here is part of my logic.
    Now no-code techs (like me) have a shot at working worthwhile cw bands with some qrp gear as we get upgraded to tech plus. I live in an area where putting up a big antenna is pretty close to impossible. If you get one up someone is going start asking questions and possibly claiming you are their source of RF interference. So most everybody around these parts run stealthy antennas and I imagine not much above 100 watts. So something like qrp with a long wire that isn't too high above the ground is feasible. QRP is pretty much they only route to take under these conditions. Something along these lines might be a boost to the hobby and to cw usage.

So worry not too much about fools getting on the airwaves but that anyone takes up the hobby at all.

8. W5IEI

W5IEI Guest

Yup,
    These last 2 posters(losers) are what we are in store for.
    Isn't this just great!!!

9. N1JBS

N1JBS Ham Member QRZ Page

losers? look in the mirror with that attitude [​IMG]

as a matter of fact, if you dont like the code being dropped, do something about it- USE your radio.

n1jbs

10. K2DMV

Tisk tisk tisk such attitudes may also keep people away from the hobby. Oh well at least I know there are really only a few like that but encounters with them are not fun.

Thanks n1jbs

now its time for the whiners to help the new guys on hf (no excuses)

That line is what I hope is the epitome of what the hobby is supposed to be about.

11. WA7KKP

WA7KKP Ham Member QRZ Page

What I'd call the ARRL is neither fit for print, television, man nor beast . . .

I'll see you on the CW only segments of the bands . . . they won't follow us there.

Gary WA7KKP

12. K2DMV

You never know they might follow you but they might be slow for a while [​IMG]

13. N2RJ

N2RJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What a nice attitude from everyone.

Fight fight fight to win win win.

Strange how I haven't seen the words "fight" and "win" anywhere in part 97.

Enjoy the spoils of no-code HF. Just remember if you're fighting on the phone bands, please stay at least 3kc from me while I actually have fun on the radio.

14. N5FOG

N5FOG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll follow you there with my computerized CW keyer and decoder. It works pretty good, made allot of CW contacts on the last 6 meter opening. And I guess since I just joined the ARRL they are not going to miss you. I've lost count at how many techs have joined the ARRL since they endorsed the removal of code. They are a progressive group and realized that CW testing is not a relevant requirement for a ham radio license.

Eric KC5FOG

15. N5FOG

N5FOG Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Mike you may not like it but you better well get used to it, you have lost the fight. So at this point you have two options. First one is to just accept this change and get along with everyone (which I doubt you will do). Or the second option is to sell all your gear and find a new hobby. Also if this obsession with hating new hams continues I suggest professional help because harboring this type of hate for a long term can cause high blood pressure, weight gain and other unhealthy stress related effects.

Also you may hate me and not want to talk to me but I'm not going anywhere and neither are all the other new hams that are getting into HF. So you better deal with you issues because you’re going to have to share the dial with us.

P.S. Please put my name on your no talk to list.

ERIC KC5FOG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.