FCC Drops Code

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions and Special Events' started by NA2P, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
  1. WZ4KIM

WZ4KIM Ham Member QRZ Page

QST QST QST......   Listen up,  the international community dropped code as a requirement in 2003....  There are still a large number of DXers in the world that  still work CW.  CW is a mode !  If he FCC dropped the questions from the question pool on the Extra Class Exam about SSB emissions, do you honestly think that it would keep people from upgrading or operating SSB [​IMG]

I hope that ALL Hams will welcome those that upgrade and come to HF and keep CW as an emission... and encourage new Generals to learn the code anyways and to use CW as a mode.  

CW as an emission didn't change with the new ruling !

There will still be the same thrill of working a rare DX Station QRP on CW !

Don't worry to much about CBers distroying the hobby....  

Face it......   Ham Gear is still $$$

and even on eBay.....  you're gonna spend more for Ham equipment than you would for a Pawn Shop CB !

Anything worth operating, that is !

PLUS, there are the written exams !

73's.... [​IMG]

2. KB2SFH

KB2SFH Ham Member QRZ Page

I was a no-code since 1994 and I did my full general upgrade last spring, March for the written and took me 2 tries in April to get the code. I did it for the same reason you did, BEFORE it was dropped. I'm very sorry for your death in the family and sorry that it set you back, THAT was a valid reason unlike the other lame excuses we all have heard for those that won't work to earn it. making general for me has also prodded me to go out and get my VE certification this fall and have my first 2 testing sessions under my belt. the first test session was all upgrades but I at least got to grade a code exam. the second session was a brand new no-code technician that I got to grade first out of the other VE's and he totally aced it. It was great to be able to congratulate him and welcome him to the hobby!

3. N0KLU

N0KLU Ham Member QRZ Page

I just hope we can find some common ground to operate with. BPL is the real battle not this code issue.

4. VA3CSS

VA3CSS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, because that would certainly be a question in any sane person's mind.  A dollar, or a peice of dog ####...  hmmm.... which should I choose?  

"Their" will be?   I wonder who puts it in "their"?  Must be something that was placed in "there" task list by "they're" boss at the radio factory.

That with which?  Ummm... OK.

I have two friends who are blind, and also Amateur Radio Operators.  I wish they had the "site" to view a web "sight" like this one.

I wasn't aware that Ham Radio needed mystique to be useful or enjoyable.  Perhaps you can explain why it does.

I'll go make the popcorn...

Lids can be read also, as the quoted post proves.  Good thing the code requirement kept all the lids off of 75m.

Oh wait...

5. W7ACT

W7ACT Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes Virginia there is a Santa.

Last Tuesday before the announcement I purchased a new IC-7000 and LDG AT-7000 Tuner from HRO in Portland now I'll be able to use it on the Ham bands also and not only on the MARS Frequencies......

Now to repass the General Element and I'll be set on the HF Bands.

6. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Now that there is funny. (the CSS post)

7. M0DCD

M0DCD Ham Member QRZ Page

When this lot has settled down in a few years time, I predict there will be lots of new CW operators who are doing it not because they had to but because they want to. We need the new blood in the hobby. [​IMG]

8. VE7IG

VE7IG Ham Member QRZ Page

Its interesting that one of the justifications for dropping CW is that its not used by the military or commercially anymore, but this is not true-- all you have to do is listen below the broadcast band and you will find hundreds of beacons, ALL on CW. Aircraft radios may use these beacons automatically, but they do use CW.

The good part about it is that 90% of the new operators coming on will infest the phone bands and leave the CW bands alone (what's left of them) for guys like me who like to chase CW DX, of which there is plenty!

9. Guest

Guest Guest

i hear a lot of CW even now on 20 meter band.but i hope they dont drop requirement of written examination.that will ruin everything and people will proliferrate the ham bands.

10. kc2obv

kc2obv Ham Member QRZ Page

I AGREE WITH YOU THAT WE NEED TO ATTRACT NEW AND YOUNGER PEOPLE TO HAM RADIO, HOWEVER I AM 50 YEARS OLD AND JUST RECENTLY BECAME A TECH LICENSEE. I MUST TELL  YOU THAT THE ELITIST MENTALITY I MET AT THE HAMFESTS WAS OVERWHELMING.
    IT WAS OH ONLY A TECH  WE DONT HAVE MUCH TO SAY TO YOU(ME).
    IT WAS NOT VERY ENCOURAGING TO ME A 50 YEAR OLD
    IMAGINE WHAT A 12 YEAR OLD WILL THINK WHEN HE GETS THE ATTITUDE FROM THE ONCE FORMER CB ER NOW HAM OPERATOR I AM THE GREATEST MENTALITY.
    NO YOU WONT BE GRABBING UP MANY KIDS FOR THE HOBBY AND  IT IS SAD.
    MANY TIMES I ENCOUNTER PPL WITH ATTITUDES ON VHF OR UHF WHO JUST PLAIN OUT DONT WANT TO BE NICE OR BOTHER WITH YOU NO MATTER WHAT.
    THESE ARE THE SAME CB ERS WHO HAD SSB CLUBS AND WOULD IGNORE ANYONE ON THE CB BAND AS WELL.
    SO WITH THIS TYPE OF NEGATIVE OUTPUT DONT LOOK FOR TOO MANY NEW OPERATORS AND THE ONES YOU DO GET WILL BE DISCOURAGED AND 1/2 WILL ABANDON THE HOBBY.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.