ad: Radclub22-1

FCC Drops Code

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by NA2P, Dec 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. NA2P

NA2P Ham Member QRZ Page

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DOC-269012A1.pdf

2. N4KC

N4KC Ham Member QRZ Page

Wait!  What was that?  The sound of the other shoe dropping?

I'm neutral on this move, but shame on us if we allow CW on the ham bands to die.

Don N4KC

3. N1BHH

N1BHH Ham Member QRZ Page

Those who want can operate CW, those that don't won't. I won't stop using CW, it won't die in my heart. It's up to those who have used it and enjoyed it to keep it alive. This isn't the end of morse code, just the end of the morse code requirement.

4. K4VVX

K4VVX Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I'm going to be sick.

5. N6KZB

N6KZB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The sky is not falling, all will be fine.
    Take an asprin and call the ARRL in the morning.

[​IMG]

6. N4SVA

N4SVA Ham Member QRZ Page

"Charlie-Bravo" Alert

7. NS3M

NS3M Ham Member QRZ Page

The 10 meter contest last weekend had me working code at around 30wpm, I was only able to dig out 5 SSB contacts in two and a half hours with band conditions here, and went right back down to the CW portion of the band where there was activity I could hear well into the evenings.

I was licensed at 13wpm, and proud of that even more now.

I upgraded from General to Extra this past May and have been out of amateur radio since just slightly before they removed the 13 and 20wpm elements, I had NO idea until I started elmering a friend into his Technician class license. The bands haven't change ANY since before the 13 and 20 requirements were dropped, as I hear the exact same things as I did back then.

I'm just wondering how they are going to split up the bands by priveleges for the different classes now. They will have to accomodate the new licensees into each of the bands that they decide they will allow them.

We will always have those that have or or want, a use for CW, and those who have no use for it. I will personally keep on using it, my Technician licensed XYL, and my 8 year old son, want to learn it whether it gets dropped as a requirement or not. And they will have a willing instructor help them as they need it.

I personally know of three Technicians that haven't been able to pass the 5wpm code in nearly a decade in each case, I feel that these guys will appreciate their upgrade more than some others do.

No we won't see a huge inrush of the CB types, they won't like the price of the equipment to get on those bands just to be there and tick others off.

Since this was only a "public announcement from the FCC", they will go through their process, this will happen as they have announced, but it will take 30 days after it get published in the Federal Register, and that can take up to a month to make happen, even longer if they decide to play around with a public comment time period, evne though they have done this very move several times in the past.

Another KNOW code Extra.

8. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I think all the immediate changes have now been made. There are no further pending proposals for band changes.

Joe

9. NA0D

NA0D Ham Member QRZ Page

Its about time....

10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

If you ever heard a large DX pileup on 20M SSB and thought there are lots of idiots with licenses, you "ain't seen nothing yet".

This has NOTHING to do with preserving morse code but has EVERYTHING to do with losing the only real standard for licensing. We now have a multiple choice standard!

11. VA3SAX

VA3SAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Personally I doon't thikn it will hurt you guys as much as you think. The code requirement in canada has been gone for some time and ham radio has not gone to the dogs. I don't think CW will die either it's far too effective to let die

12. N0KLU

N0KLU Ham Member QRZ Page

The Fall of the Morse Code God! With a simple stroke of the pen the FCC dropped the requirement.
    Now let’s see how many turn in their tickets or sell their equipment on eBay as promised.
    [​IMG]

13. KI4MSA

KI4MSA Ham Member QRZ Page

OH BOO HOO!  [​IMG]

For those of you bellyaching about this news, do everybody a favor and sell all of your equipment before this becomes effective. Because we don't need, or want you here.

There are still three levels of testing that those Child Banders will have to go through, and a great many of the Child Banders quite possibly will not be smart enough to pass the tests anyway.  And for those that do, we have rules that will need to be strictly enforced.

Amateur radio needs to attract new blood in order to survive.  You primadonnas are pushing more young people away with your petty whining than what you are attracting.

Get over yourselves and shut up!  [​IMG]

14. KI6GWS

KI6GWS Ham Member QRZ Page

The FCC removing code makes NO difference to me. I have been studying for my general ticket AND learning code. I will continue to learn code because I WANT to. I think CW has it's place, I think it's very interesting. At 39, learning new things is a wonderful thing and I don't for one minute believe I am the only one that feels that way about code. Who knows, it may very well be that NEW hams will feel that to be "complete" for the sake of their own ego that code is just a must and understand that there IS a use for code.

73s

15. W4CLM

W4CLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.