ad: HamHats-1

FCC Cracking Down on Property Owners From Which Pirate Broadcasters Operate

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5XS, Dec 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, that's what happens when budgets are cut. There needs to be some enforcement and that takes money.

I can totally agree with the Government being frugal with tax dollars. Unfortunately, roads, schools, fire departments, FCC, etc., etc., etc., are not built and operated on budget cuts...

Dan WQ4G

W1YW likes this.
  2. KC1DRW

KC1DRW Ham Member QRZ Page

they actually have 1 fm station 1 am station and 4 SW transmitters Im 30 miles away and have a hard time hearing the stations. they can focus the beam My Stepson worked on the antenna It is huge. this is just one of the photos I took of it

Attached Files:

WQ4G likes this.
  3. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Just any other law enforcement agency, the property owners CAN be fined! They are considered to be an a accessory to the crime and they can be held liable! So if your a property owner and your renters are using your property for illegal purposes, you can and will held accountable. So GET RID OF THEM!

K4XJ and WQ4G like this.
  4. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Not B.S. There are a whole bunch of Landlords and Property Managers that simply look the other way as long as the rent is current... Have you ever dealt with and incalcitrant Landlord or Property Manager?

I realize that children sometimes do stupid things. But, illegal is illegal. Does being a minor place you above the law? And, where are the parents? So how are teens renting or purchasing the locations where this activity is going on? How are they able to afford the equipment necessary to set up a bootleg broadcast station? And, what message does it send to other children/teens when their peers are allowed to engage in illegal activity?

You contradict yourself... Do they play with radio, starting illegal broadcast stations? Or do they stream, with no interest in radio?

Most leases, that I have seen, already include sanctions against illegal activity of ANY kind...

And, who's fault is that?

Dan WQ4G

K7JEM likes this.
  5. KM4FDM

KM4FDM Ham Member QRZ Page

civil asset forfeiture is the game!! govt has been doing this b.s. for years and it needs to end!

K6LPM likes this.
  6. KA1BSZ

up here in Vermont,many still use a radio to hear music because the internet is so sparse here.

NN0M likes this.
  7. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Click on the link. SEE the map.

https://www.fcc.gov/reports-research/maps/fcc-enforcement-actions-against-pirate-radio-location/

Just between Florida, New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut there have been more than 400 of them busted in the past 3.5 years.

If you click on the circles the stats for that state will pop up on the right side of the screen. Click on the blue links (in the pop up) and you can see the actions taken in that state.

Dan WQ4G

8. KA1BSZ

In Vermont, property owners can be held liable because they are an accessory to the crime for allowing the illegal activity. The property owners and the operators of the pirate station can both be held liable.

K4XJ and WQ4G like this.
  9. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, who the H appointed the jerk and for what reason? Wasn't (or isn't) Pai a 'swamp creature'?

Dan WQ4G

10. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Ever deal with your County or City's Code Enforcement? They don't send the Notice of Violations to the tenant - they send it to the property owner(s). The property owner is responsible for what goes on on their property. It is not the Tenant who pays the fines - it is the Landlord.

And, many times the Landlord is absent and lives in a different state and may not even be an individual person. So how would they know what is going on? Humm, the FCC sends them a notice - that's how - just like Code Enforcement does.

Well, if they are Licensed I would proffer to say that they are NOT a pirate station...

Dan WQ4G

11. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Better yet, how about the FCC do something about all the RFI out there? To me that is a BIGGER problem than those pesky robo-callers. I have a machine that takes care of the robo-callers.

Dan WQ4G

N0EE likes this.
  12. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

Obviously you have never deal with Code Enforcement. If illegal activity is happening on the property it IS the land owner's responsibility. Period. I'm not saying that it is their responsibility to enforce the law. But, it IS their responsibility not to condone it or be complicit.

Dan WQ4G

13. KI7WL

KI7WL Ham Member QRZ Page

You assume a lot.... Landlords who know of illegal activities, what constitutes a pirate, what kids do... If it is not spelled out in the law, if its overly broad, the law is BS. The law does not get to assume.

AA4MB likes this.
  14. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean the 'swamp'...

Dan WQ4G

15. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

I assume nothing. I've been there and done that.

Ok, you hear an unlicensed station in the ham bands... You know the operator is unlicensed.

Pirate? Or not Pirate?

WQ4G