ad: elecraft

FCC Cracking Down on Property Owners From Which Pirate Broadcasters Operate

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5XS, Dec 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KI7WL

KI7WL Ham Member QRZ Page

And how is this enforcement landlord suppose to know if it has been stopped or if its ongoing? I know you are thinking of this from your perspective and I am sure you could monitor this activity, but the landlord thinks FM stands for Frigging Magic...

And he has a Federal Agency threatening him with huge fines that will bankrupt him. So would it be surprising of he does not allow any antennas or radios at all, including ham. This law has a good chance of effecting us...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2020
    NN0M, KA2TMU, N5PZJ and 2 others like this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Some are still on net neutrality? You remember that the world will end shortly after they end net neutrality. Very funny stuff.

And let's visit this again...(emphasis added)
    Anyone who has ever been involved in law enforcement knows how difficult it can be to prove an individual knowingly committed an offense.

This has nothing to do with the landlord not having a clue it has to do with the landlord knowing and permitting it to continue.

NN0M and WQ4G like this.
  3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Read the durn notice where the law has been applied. Read the durn law. It it says "knowingly". The landlord was notified in writing by the FCC about the illegal operation and given opportunity to reply.

Sheesh.

KC1DR, WQ4G and K3XR like this.
  4. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

Property owner receives a letter apprising him of pirate activity. Now he knows. Owner doesn't make it stop. Now he's a willing participant.

Oh, but this sort of liability is not meant for you. Its for the "well heeled" landlord.

City governments are trodding all over people who can't quite comply with "nusiance property" laws. In many areas its a run around the lack of HOAs in older neighborhoods. Once the crack house is gone the house with an old car or antenna in the back yard becomes the nuisance.

NN0M and WQ4G like this.
  5. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I had no idea that some states had gotten into this sphere of law enforcement.

KI7WL and K3XR like this.
  6. KC8UD

KC8UD Ham Member QRZ Page

Pirate broadcasting IS NOT that widespread of a problem. How many pirates are problematic in your area? Probably none. The bigger problem that the FCC and the FTC should concentrate their efforts toward ceasing is those pesky robo-callers. EVERYONE is affected and plagued by them and there has to be some technology available to seek and destroy those things and prosecute. Who cares about a very rare pirate radio station? I'd almost consider it a treasure to find a pirate broadcaster on the air.

NN0M, KA2TMU, KR3DX and 3 others like this.
  7. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Because the entities that complain and that pirates affect have.....
    giphy.gif

KB1MCT, WQ4G, KI7WL and 1 other person like this.
  8. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

I think (well, I thought) the FCC Enforcement Branch has been working on this for a while - I was (well, am) a little worried they were concentrating so hard on the "Baofeng" thing, they weren't doing anything about those cheap Chinese 100 watt FM transmitters you can buy from e-bay. I don't think they ever gave up on the shortwave fishing-boat pirates either! But maybe there is more pirating from privately held property than I realized. Nice to know the FCC isn't ignoring this stuff .... even if I apparently did. :)

KI7WL likes this.
  9. K9CTB

K9CTB Ham Member QRZ Page

In the post above yours, K3XR said it well ... "knowingly" is a key word. It implies complicity. If you have knowledge a crime is committed and you're facilitating it, you've committed a crime.

N5PZJ, K4XJ and WQ4G like this.
  10. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What is their definition of "Pirate Broadcaster"? If someone is playing DJ with a 10-100W xmtr, yup, hats a pirate. But id they're talking about a <500mw rebroadcast on an empty channel of an existing station because the signals are so poor....I would have a problem of that type of enforcement.

11. N9SWR

N9SWR Ham Member QRZ Page

It's amazing how many people that posted did not read or did not understand the words. Property owners will not be fined until after they have been notified of the illegal activity and fail take the appropriate actions to stop the illegal activity.

K9CTB and WQ4G like this.
  12. WO1B

WO1B Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I run a low power AM station and broadcast old time radio stuff thru a raspberry pi so it can be listened to on my restored antique radios....nothing beats listening to an old episode of "Suspense" on a 1934 Philco...

K9CTB, WB9YTG, W1YW and 1 other person like this.
  13. KI7WL

KI7WL Ham Member QRZ Page

That and robo-texting! I can't even turn on the WIFI function of my phone because I get spammed so much... And same here, I have looked for pirates, just to hear one, and came up empty every time... I have a problem with laws created on top of other laws. All this action does is go after landlords because they "knowingly" allow the pirates. Unbelievable that people even want to repeat that. Oh yes knowingly... that's such BS. And once you tell them, well you are the friggin enforcement agency, do your friggin jobs. Its not the landlords job to police the radio spectrum... It is all so idiotic if you take the time to THINK about it.

AA4MB, WZ7U, WS5GPA and 1 other person like this.
  14. KK4NSF

KK4NSF Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe the Pirates should set up their transmitters in National Parks... the the Feds could fine themselves! :D

KI7WL likes this.
  15. KI6PMD

KI6PMD Ham Member QRZ Page

Pirate Radio ! Arr there matties this is your capt. here on the Jolly Rodger Arr ! Well shiver me timbers ! we are on the air 73 Phil Arr..