FCC Cracking Down on Property Owners From Which Pirate Broadcasters Operate

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5XS, Dec 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

On the surface without reading the statue, orders and what not, but just going by the sensation of the headlines, it sounds like a great thing! Finally get the FCC to enforce things and what better teeth to bite into crime than financially.
    However, I start thinking, first just what do they specifically define as a pirate radio broadcaster? Is it a specific freq? Mode? Content? Obviously if I need to know, I should look up the links above as a good start. But my thought is that the average property management organizations rank and fil employees such as managers, superintendents or maintenance staff isn't going to be familiar with definitions and specifics...
    If this is such the problem and the FCC succeeds at making the public or at least the investment property industry aware and scared, it could be at our own detriment that every rental property owner is going to be overly hyper-vigilant and stereotype anybody using radio equipment as a potential legal liability . Who the hell is going to chance giving Joe ham radio tenant permission to place that doublet on the apartment roof or balcony?
    Or how about that mechanic ham down the road that leases a commercial shop and wants to have a vertical for 2 meters for the radio in his shop office....
    All radio operations will be potentially stereotyped and it will be more difficult than ever to get those laypersons to even take the time to plead your case and obtain the permission in the first place.
    It isn't a very good boom to ham radio or any legit radio activities overall. It publicizes negativity, brought about by outsiders, once again.
    That's just my immediate knee jerk reaction/opinion of reading the headline. I will research the whole story in a few .....

VA3GET, AK5B, N2AMM and 6 others like this.
  2. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

K0UO likes this.
  3. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Read the link it will give you a breakdown of the age groups.

4. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My kids are Gen Z....but yes, according to the article some “youngsters” apparently listen to broadcast radio.

AJ6KZ and K0UO like this.
  5. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

Many if not most radio stations do stream their content. I just do not see people out there listening to old style radios like they used to.

K0UO and KE0GXN like this.
  6. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I did read all the details and also the act....
    It just never ceases to amaze me how much bureaucracy that US government operates.
    If only only we could operate, function and live with such an improbable Utopian concept and we're able to share in a trait that so simple in theory but rare and oxymoronic ideal of common sense.
    While I would love to see some enforcement actions that resulted in a greater respect and awareness on the air. I do find that like many things the way they administer themselves is crap.
    I find it interesting the way that they make the landlord or manager responsible for their investigations and many constitutional issues, where as a show cause order is leveraged against the property owner to to locate the source, take action to dismantle and then turn over the principal participants while the FCC awaits back at the office, waiting to see what they have managed to troll into the dragnet without regard to any constitutional issue on their own part. Also the law, requires the FCC to fast track past any issuing any notification of wrongful action or showing cause but instead requires them to go straight to notification of forfeiture, essentially blackmailing the property owner to produce an offender and transmitter with the issuance of fines.... A manager under duress is likely to identify anyone that operates a radio in a desperate chance not to come back empty handed and not win favorable consideration against the spector of huge fines. They surely want to appear cooperative...
    Another interesting thing to note is that FCC is mandated to conduct at least one raid or sweep per year and also must report to congress essentially an audit of how they met the previous years quotas.
    I am not a lawyer but seems like some draconian bull -crap....

KC9YCT, AK5B, WZ7U and 2 others like this.
  7. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Another interesting thing to note is that FCC is mandated to conduct at least one raid or sweep per year and also must report to congress essentially an audit of how they met the previous years quotas.

That sounds like total/
    Typical bureaucracy and Congressional crap. HI

Last edited: Dec 19, 2020
    W9RAC, AK5B, WZ7U and 1 other person like this.
  8. NC5P

NC5P Ham Member QRZ Page

The first thing I noticed about this act is they specify: between 535 and 1705 kilohertz, inclusive, or 87.7 and 108 megahertz, inclusive. Nothing about shortwave or even TV. I suspect the half dozen or so billionaires who own all the radio stations probably don't sleep at night worrying about college kids setting up 10 watt transmitters in their dorm rooms and stealing their audience away. I'm sure the law was crafted for them to ease their suffering. Never mind Sirius and all the streaming services that really have their listeners now. People are sick of their fully automated stations running 30 spots per hour. They are as bad as Gas Station TV on the pumps or Restroom TV on top of the urinals.

AK5B, NR9V, N7XCZ and 4 others like this.
  9. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Seems like a very poorly thought out law. Not entirely surprising since today most bills are written by the special interest groups involved, not by the staff of our Congressmen and Senators.

AK5B, WZ7U, KC8UD and 2 others like this.
  10. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

First of all I find it interesting that you invoke the Constitution, as if running a radio station - pirate or otherwise - is a Constitutional RIGHT. But, it is not a right - it is a privilege. And, as we all know, privileges can be revoked at any time.

Secondly, landlords and property owners should have no fear of someone holding a license. These stations are 'pirate stations' because they have no license. And, it is easy enough for a landlord or property owner to determine if the station is licensed or not. For one they could just ask or they could look it up online.

Also, this problem seems to be somewhat of a regional or locality centered activity. For example, in the State of Florida most of the illegal pirate radio stations pop-up in South Florida. Seems that people living in South Florida have a penchant for pirate broadcast stations. And, not so much in other areas.

Lastly, IMO these laws should also be extended to RFI issues. It is very frustrating to be continually QRM'ed by an RFI source, located on private property, where the owner will not allow access to the property for the purpose of locating and mitigating the RFI source. If the FCC started using this, or a similar law, to go after those allowing RFI sources to go unabated, the RFI problems that the Ham community faces would begin to go away.

Just a thought....

Dan WQ4G

KE8BDQ, WS5GPA, K2NED and 4 others like this.