ad: ProAudio-1

FCC approves first 'power-at-a-distance' wireless charging device

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K2NCC, Dec 28, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. VE7DXW

VE7DXW Ham Member QRZ Page

What about the health issues that arise when you have transmitter powerful to charge a battery at home radiating everything around you!!

I can not believe that people would be willingly radiate home, family and kids for the convenience of wireless charging!!!

I wonder if this company also insures against cancer or do the have a health effect waiver?
    "... can not be held liable in case of (unproven) side effects such as cancer since it was approved by the FCC...."

Alex

KQ6XA likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is yet another example of the danger of lithium ion batteries...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...aptop-batteries-due-to-fire-and-burn-hazards/

3. KJ6CA

KJ6CA Ham Member QRZ Page

4. AC0VJ

AC0VJ Ham Member QRZ Page

More stupid insane ideas that are not practical. RF radiation for all...............

5. NE2I

NE2I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

He's a Wireless industry lawyer

W1YW likes this.
  6. NN6EE

NN6EE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Wasn't it "NICOLA TESLA" who'd been working on transferring electricity (WIRELESSLY) back in the 1920s & 30s??? Honestly everybody who's working on that type of "TRANSFERENCE" is REALLY hanging onto "TESLA's COAT-TAILS" NOW!!!

KI7HSB and KC8VWM like this.
  7. W1RFI

W1RFI Ham Member QRZ Page

FCC Certification has been privatized for over a decade, with the vast majority of certifications being issued by the Telecommunications Certification Bodies (TCBs) authorized by the FCC. There is nothing out of the ordinary with the certification, other than the nature of the device. The unit operates in an Industrial, Scientific and Medical band, as an ISM device under Part 18 rules. As an ISM device, it could be allowed unlimited radiated emissions in the ISM band, subject only to the limits of human exposure to electromagnetic fields.

Under the rules, within an ISM band, no protection is offered from interference from the fundamental signal of ISM devices. So other uses of that band, such as Part 15 baby monitors, and even licensed users, must accept any interference from an ISM device.

Those inductive chargers have not been Certified because it is not intended that they radiate, so they have been Verified under the rules (essentially self tested by the manufacturer). This device intentionally radiates an EM field, so even though it's an ISM device, it needed to be Certified.

The efficiency of this device will be relatively low, compared to inductive chargers such as the popular ~200 kHz Qi wireless charging pads.

Ed, W1RFI

KA0HCP likes this.
  8. W1RFI

Interestingly, although ISM devices are allowed to cause interference in the ISM bands, because an ISM device does not transmit information, it is not offered any protection FROM interference from other devices.

Ed, W1RFI

9. W1RFI

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, no, I didnt say that.

The "officious &&$$$$" requests that ARRL employees quote him correctly.