ad: M2Ant-1

FCC Amateur License Fees Unlikely To Go Into Effect Until 2022

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N2EY, Aug 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KC1DR

KC1DR Ham Member QRZ Page

I take it you don't have a dog..........or maybe you forgot to mention that fee!

2. KD3Y

KD3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I have two. There’s no tax or fee I pay on my dogs.
    I think some cities may have registration fees or taxes on pets though. But not where I live.

3. KC1DR

Yet!!
    I see you are on the water. If you are a boat owner, I will pass on a nasty surprise I just got from the FCC. Most boat owners are not required to have a license or station license for their boats. In my case, since I am in Canadian waters from time to time, I am required to have both. Years ago the FCC converted my MRO (Marine Radio Operator) license to a perpetual license, however the boat still requires a station license that is good for 10 years. In the past this has been free. I just got my renewal, and it was $220.00. Now, somebody could argue its only $22/yr, but I am still not happy. A five year renewal at half the price might be more acceptable, but why charge at all? It was done completely by computer with no human intervention that I can see.

KD3Y likes this.
  4. KD3Y

KD3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

And yep, that's the way they get in your pocket. First it's "only $3.50 per year" and you are low-down scum to other hams if you don't want to "support the FCC". "After all, you spend more than $3.50 on a beer at a bar, right?" Then next year it's $8 per year, then it's $10 per year, then it's $20 per year....then....it's $22 per year.

But yet some hams will just beg the United States government to take their money. And the excuse they use for wearing their chains is ALWAYS....."But it's only....."

The FCC is already supported in the federal budget. According to the governments website, the FCC received a budget of over 480 MILLION dollars in 2020 from the taxpayer. And according to their 2021 budget request, they "need" 1.5 MILLION more dollars.

Enjoy your $220 "privilege", Brother. According to the "Please fee me" hams, the chains are light. For the time being. And you should be a proud American to wear light chains.

5. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

You have an obligation as a civilized human being to acknowledge, reply, and help in any way possible to a mayday or SOS call.

WA8FOZ and KD3Y like this.
  6. KC1DR

Nope. There are limits on "help"

7. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I believe you know what I meant, regardless of my imprecise wording.

8. NI7NE

NI7NE Ham Member QRZ Page

I understand this is a dirty word on a ham forum, but I'm going to start maintaining a GMRS license once this goes through. Part of the fee structure adjustment is that that ham/GMRS fees are meeting in the middle. GMRS repeaters have multiplied in the last 10 years -- a number of which reach into cellular dead zones.

KB4JSL likes this.
  9. KD3Y

KD3Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes Sir. You're right.

Though in the United States, the ARRL uses the word "may", rather than "must" concerning responding to emergency distress calls.

Also, "When you receive a distress call it should be passed on through proper channels." not "must be".

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  10. KB4JSL

KB4JSL Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry, but if I can't make money with my "privilege," don't charge me for the license.