ad: TinyPaddle-1

FCC Allows Remote Testing!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0DHG, May 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

two people with a really wicked sense of humor i can see saying that:
    oscar wilde
    winston churchill

2. VE3GCX

VE3GCX Ham Member QRZ Page

I for one would struggle in an English class in USA, even though l was an A+ student in English in UK.[/QUOTE]

3. G7NFP

G7NFP Ham Member QRZ Page

[/QUOTE]

I know the word that you mean. But that was also a crime in USA as recent as 20yrs ago in some states.

To call someone a sod in UK was never seen as that much of an insult.
    But, much like many other words, how you use them (or your tone) can change their meaning.
    https://www.quora.com/When-British-...is-sodding-that-what-is-that-supposed-to-mean

So it's always worth choosing your words with some thought when in another country.
    IE: if you were to ask for a "Fag" in UK someone would give you a cigarette.
    But what would you get in USA if you made the same request?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  4. G7NFP

Did you Google it?
    Or have you been to bonny Scotland?

I first went to England to work when l was 18. I had to remember to speak English as they could not understand what l was saying.

Likewise. When in Derby guys were calling me "Duck" & l was backing away as l thought they were gay.

5. VE3GCX

Nae laddie, my mother was a Scot and my father a Welshman. His sister married a farmer from Derbyshire ( Ay up mi duck) I spent a lot of enjoyable time on that farm as a lad.
    The language even within Derbyshire varied from village to village back in the 60's

If they had thought you were gay you would have been a "a pouf or poufter"

I was born and raised in Canada, as they say the difference between a Canadian and an American is we have health insurance and they have guns.

G7NFP likes this.
  6. G7NFP

Yes l remember Derby well. I lived in Weston on Trent for several years.
    Talking about farms, my mate had permission from all the surrounding farms to shoot their land. So every weekend l was in the gun shop in Derby to pick up a couple of boxes of 12g cartridges (25 in a box).
    Oh the good ol' days.

So you will have British & Canadian passports? Interesting that you chose to live your life in Canada as you no doubt could have lived in UK.
    But if you were raised there & your immediate family are there l can understand why you chose Canada.
    My mother considered emigrating to Canada after dad died. She was 78 & got on a plane for a 2 week holiday in Canada. She spent the time with her sister & family as her sister emigrated to Canada many decades ago.

7. KB1EZJ

KB1EZJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I truly want remote testing. I have only done 50 some VE exams threw the ARRL . I just did an exam for 2 people on May 22nd and today is June 2nd. I still haven't seen the new calls on the FCC web site. I called the ARRL yesterday to see if they had any info as to the applications. They said it hasn't been received it in the mail yet.
    I use their mailing bag and their free mailing label.
    I live here in NH and the ARRL is in Newington CT. I can't understand why the mail is so slow. I haven't ever taken any of the $15.00 application fee's because I feel that the ARRL is fighting for our hams to keep
    our hobby alive with the FCC.
    I just think its time to move into the future with ham radio testing.

G7NFP likes this.
  8. VE3GCX

My Aunt's farm was located in Condor, between Ripley and Heanor until the Local coal board requisitioned the land and strip mined it. They did restored the land but it was never the same. After her death, my cousin, sold it to a builder. it is now mostly concrete.

Since my parents were both British nationals when I was born I do have a birth certificate issued as a "British citizen born abroad" as well as one issued by Quebec, so I can claim British citizenship directly or I could claim derivative citizen through my Grand parents if I so chose. So far I have not seen the need to do so. Traveling on a Canadian Passport is very easy Though I can only stay in Britain for 3 months at a time. My father was in the RAF during WWII and oddly enough he was stationed in Kingston Ontario. After the war he and my mother came back to Canada due lack of opportunities in Britain after the war.

G7NFP likes this.
  9. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

You might look at switching to Laurel VEC. They allow electronic submissions to them, and they submit electronically to the FCC early mornings. It is entirely possible to have a new license issued 12 hours (or less) after the end of the exam.

N6ATF and G7NFP like this.
  10. N1CCK

N1CCK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't be too discouraged; ARRL will move forward, they just take longer to do so.

In the meantime, GLAARG, W5YI, and some pilot teams from ARRL are pushing computer-based testing (both for in-person and remote tests) forward in a way that is consistent with NCVEC and Part 97 requirements.

N6ATF, VE3GCX and G7NFP like this.
  11. G7NFP

US is still way ahead of UK as "all" of your ham exams are now online.

Many guys in UK are patiently waiting for more exams to become available as only the Foundation exam (equiv to your Tech) is online ATM.

Bet even so, some hams are complaining about the practical component being removed in order to make that exam available online.

Unsure if there was ever a practical exam requirement in the US structure.

However l do not see the need for the practical exam as l am sitting with a full license & l never sat any practical exam.
    Although l sat the exams before the structure was changed.
    Which meant l was able to sit the top exams, missing out the intermediate exam.

Its taken me half an hour to write the last paragraph as the news is drawing my attention away. To be more specific.... The riots in USA all over our TVs every hour of every day.

We had the very same in 2011.
    Riots, arson & looting.
    That ended when local communities & business owners rose up to defend their own neighbourhoods.
    Their interventions turned out to be very effective as their hands were not tied in the same way as police officers.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  12. G7NFP

BTW, just to be clear. I totally understand why the protests are taking place in US. And now UK & several other countries in Europe & beyond.

The protests in UK happend for the very same reason.
    I am behind those who are protesting 100%.

The only thing l am against is the minority who are hell bent on mindless destruction & looting.

So we can only hope that some changes will be made to hold our law enforcement officers to account (both sides of the pond as the same happens over here).

Then we can all move on to the more pleasant things in our life's...... Like our ham radios.