Favorite Linux ?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AA7BQ, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VE3SRE

VE3SRE Ham Member QRZ Page

Debian-based distros are usually the most "ham friendly". Most of the Linux ham radio software is in the Debian repositories.

For complete Linux newbies making a move from Windows, Linspire/Freespire are good and I'll also put in a plug for Xandros. Linspire and Xandros aren't "free as in beer" but they are much cheaper than Windows.

Once you've got a bit of experience using Linux though you'll find Linspire/Freespire and Xandros a bit "limited" and will want to move on to something else.

I've played with many distros although not the "geekier" ones like Slackware and Gentoo...the geekiest I've gotten is Debian Sarge [​IMG]
    Haven't yet got a favourite. The machine I'm using to type this post is running Kubuntu.

If you're running an older machine (Pentium II or earlier) you might want to avoid distros that use either the KDE or Gnome desktops as they tend to be rather resource hungry. The XFCE desktop is pretty good though for older slower machines.

2. K3WRV

K3WRV Guest

Have used Fedora since day 1. FC1 on one machine, 3 on another, and 4 on this one (faster booting each time). Tried FC5 and didn't like it (Slow booting on a 2.8 gig P-4).

Fedora is not great if you want multimedia (Lots of config stuff) but for productivity, it's pretty dependable. But!! I hear good things about Ubuntu (Tho haven't tried it)

3. KT4WB

KT4WB Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not nearly as experienced with UNIX and variants as is AA7BQ. In 1996, I started using Solaris 2.4 at my workplace on a SPARC10, eventually upgrading thru Solaris 2.8 before I received the order to convert over to Linux on PCs. I have to agree that Solaris is a solid OS, very stable/reliable, but on a SPARC. I don't have any first-hand knowledge of how well it runs on a PC. Although, after reading his post, I am tempted to try it out on my AMD-64.

As far as Linux goes, I can tell you that I've spent a substantial amount of time using Slackware, RedHat since version 4.x, Suse, Debian, Ubuntu, Scientific Linux (really redhat), and all the Fedoras. My pick of the group is Debian or Ubuntu. I say Ubuntu because it is a Debian derived OS.

The reason that I like Debian so much is mainly due to their approach to separating and releasing their updates for their OS based on stability. They declare releases of their "stable" version every two years or so, not every 6 months like some of the other distros do.....with all the latest bells and whistles that turn out to be buggy and only half of the programs actually work. I could go on...

4. W8GTF

W8GTF Ham Member QRZ Page

I tend to stick to Debian based distro's. I've played around with Ubuntu at home, and I'm in the process of using a copy of ubuntu server to create some 'canned web apps' for my company's customers (we do web hosting). I've also been put in charge of upgrading several of our old debian boxes to newer versions of the OS. (lemme tell ya, breaking apache & mysql isn't fun).

I've want to get into slackware, but have never really had the time.

5. K2DMV

K2DMV Ham Member QRZ Page

Fedora FC 6 it has just what I need. I switched from Debian because the packages can be so bad especially if it they are somewhat bleeding edge. The packages are just enough on the edge to keep me happy. Check out the recent package manager Smart that is very quick. I might have jumped ship if I had been forced to use Yum. Now If I am compiling something new to try out I can very quickly find and install the missing dependency and resume the work without missing a step.

I used to be an old Slackware user started with that one somewheres around the 1.01 kernel. I thought it was pretty good and wouldn't mind using it again but the Industry prefers RedHat or SUSE right now so that is what I use. I think SUSE is pretty bloated they should not try and clone M$ feature for feature it just turns Linux into a pig...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.