Favorite Linux ?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AA7BQ, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KA5PIU

KA5PIU Guest

Hello.

I love Solaris, hay, if Kevin Mitnick likes it. [​IMG]
    I am a died in the wool Phone Phreak, so anything that the local CO runs and I am on it.
    But, for most people I recommend something like Knoppix or other live distro on an older machine and/or having a spare hard drive one can easily swap.
    For the one stop solution for the "average" user, I think Linspire is where it is at.
    Than, once somebody starts to feel comfortable, go up a notch, install LiLo and something a bit more advanced.
    And, find a LUG, Linux Users Group.
    Do not expect them to solve every little trouble you run into, this is not tech support, but do try as much on your own as you can.
    You will most likely come across something that you simply can not crack, at that point you will find that people will be quite willing to help you.
    It is just like in Amateur Radio, 99.9% of all troubles can be solved by just reading the manuals.
    It is that .1% that people have to think about that is where people will help, as that means you have tried, are the exception, willing to put forth the effort to learn.
    Like it or not, that is the way it is.
    I run around with my Clique, my peers.

2. KE5FIX

KE5FIX Ham Member QRZ Page

DSL
    Backtrack [​IMG]

3. AE7XQ

AE7XQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I started with TurboLinux and Red Hat 6.0 in 2002. Since then I have been through Fedora Core 6 and have even worked with PuppyLinux and FreeBSD. Presently I am working with PCLinuxOS and am preparing to test AFU-Knoppix, which I hear is designed especially for amateur radio. If it works, I may give my son my hard drive and use AFU-Knoppix.

Other versions of Linux I have tried include:

FloppyFW
    PocketLinux (a floppy distro)
    Grey Cat Linux (discontinued umdos)
    BasicLinux 3.25 (on a laptop with a 500MB hard drive)

I did download Solaris 10.0 once, but never had a chance to burn the iso to disc due to a sudden, and permanent, hard drive failure.

Linux is great. I even wrote the handbook for my department using koffice.

4. N7ZSD

N7ZSD Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's a thought to add to the mix...I have an old laptop and I'm too tight to buy more RAM for it.  Only 128 megs of ram won't run anything but Win98 or lower with  much efficiency.  The live distros wouldn't install until I discovered Xubuntu.  Installed nicely and works amazingly well.  Got it networked to the other PC, (a dual boot Ubuntu/XP box) and I am very happy with it.  I have Fldigi and Pskmail running on both now.  Not too bad for a computer illiterate like me! [​IMG]

5. N0ZLD

N0ZLD Ham Member QRZ Page

OpenBSD here...

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Slackware 10

7. KC9ECI

KC9ECI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

8. N5KRC

N5KRC Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been playing with Linux since Slackware was introduced. Man how it sucked having to install the OS from what, 38 floppies? [​IMG]

Now, I'm a die hard Gentoo fan. Three Gentoo boxes at home, and seven in production at work.

9. AE7XQ

AE7XQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Could never get Gentoo to install. Did get FreeBSD to install from a single floppy with my computer hooked up to a DSL connection. Presently I am quite happy with PClinuxOS on my main machine and I am playing with Harv's Hamshack Hack 0.6a on the computer I want to use in my shack.

10. KC2QYD

KC2QYD Ham Member QRZ Page

Ubuntu and Fedora are the best i think. They are the most sought after and alot of developers like to use them because of the flexibility and the kernels are pretty simple

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.