Favorite Linux ?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by AA7BQ, Mar 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. W6TMI

W6TMI Ham Member QRZ Page

I like Solaris on Sparc hardware, THAT'S a workhorse we have boxes that had been up for years, and just got reboot due to needing to be moved or somethin.

I'm kind of stuck with RHEL, when we were deciding on a distro, it ended up being decided for us given that seems the most supported with some infrastructure software such as Veritas volume mgr & Netbackup.

I actually like 2003 for LDAP authentication, MS actually did that right, when you add the free MS Services for Unix.

For PC/Home/Lab/Screwing around, it's hard to go wrong with Fedora.

2. W4ETE

W4ETE Ham Member QRZ Page

I went the FC route too... I just 'upgraded' from FC3 to FC6 at home (FC3 is on a 20GB drive and FC6 is on a new 160GB drive). I'm sticking with Fedora, but for the moment, I have to figure out how to get the gnome to work again... The box went from fast to sluggish so I uninstalled a bunch of packages and now all I get is a clock and a command shell. At least I can still use the FC3 install while I figure it out.

3. KD4WUO

KD4WUO Ham Member QRZ Page

Fedora has gotten so bloated that I switched to Kubuntu for my desktop PCs. I still use FC on my servers. FC6 is what 6 CD's now, thats a little much for a desktop install (I know about the DVD!)

4. W6TMI

W6TMI Ham Member QRZ Page

If you do a custom install it can still be pretty "trim". The software is available, doesnt mean it all has to be installed!

5. AC0H

AC0H Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. That's why I like the Ubuntu derivatives and Arch. One CD install which gets you the base system and your choice of Window Managers, and a few dozen or so apps that everybody uses like Firefox, Thunderbird, Open Office, etc....

One sniggeling little complaint about the *buntu's is they don't come with the dev packages. You have to do apt-get install build-essential if you want to compile from source.

6. K1LNX

K1LNX Ham Member QRZ Page

Oooh a linux thread! Well I just couldn't resist from posting, especially after I just changed my call to K1LNX, ten guesses as to what the LNX stands for!!![​IMG]

I've been running linux off and on since '97 and we use Solaris at work. My distro of choice right now is Ubuntu hands down. I've used many of them over the years, with Ubuntu and Gentoo topping my list. I dropped Gentoo in favor of Ubuntu 2 years ago and don't regret it one bit, and just went full time with a linux desktop last year.

I have a Debian box handling all of my packet/aprs chores, an Ubuntu 6.06 install for my desktop (soon to be Feisty, I'm testing it and very impressed so far), and an Ubuntu 6.06 server serving up a couple of websites.

7. K5PHW

K5PHW Ham Member QRZ Page

Ubuntu works for me. [​IMG]

8. K0EWS

K0EWS Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had Ubuntu on this machine for a couple of week now, and I can honestly say, I've enjoyed it a bunch. I dual boot Ubuntu and Windows XP, and I think I've run Windows maybe 30 minutes total in the last 5 days. I think the Linux bug has bit!

9. KC0YEF

KC0YEF Ham Member QRZ Page

Red hat &
    Mandrake

Sorry to hear you were laid off PM me for a funny story about bill joy and harvey at the skunk works

10. w3mv

w3mv Guest

My experience with Unix dates back to Version 6 PWB on PDP-11/34s and PDP-11/70s. My favorite Unix variant is not Linux. I will work with Linux if forced to do so, but I prefer to work with Mac OS X. The Darwin kernel coupled with Aqua and Quartz is hard to beat. NeXT’s technology was way ahead of its time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.