ad: HamHats-1

Fast & Easy Truck Antenna Mount

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by WJ6F, Jul 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K6YFE

K6YFE Ham Member QRZ Page

And if you can't find a hareware store, try a hardware store. They may also have them. :)

2. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Am I seeing this right? It looks like thin aluminum riveted or screwed together -- not a solid piece of aluminum square stock.

3. KC9ONY

KC9ONY Ham Member QRZ Page

N6TWW modified his trailer hitch mount
    Seems to be very stable for him.

4. N5JLD

N5JLD Ham Member QRZ Page

It's formed Aluminium sheet with Bulkheads riveted in for support. Looks ok for a Hamstick. I would use a Ground Strap and not rely on the cross pin for grounding.

my $0.03

K0MAN likes this.
  5. W5TTP

W5TTP Ham Member QRZ Page

That is what I did, used a ground strap. It held up ok, wobbling was taken care of by wedges. That was not my first choice, but the functioned. The HamSticks for hf, or better, my Hustler antennas worked. I did have to guy whatever due to the wind beating the heck out of them while driving. Took a bit of enginuity, but was a low cost solution. Doing it again, I would prefer the method shown in the previous post with a Tarheel, or other similar antenna. However, a welded attachment to a real solid trailer hitch mount would be my choice. So many choices, so little time. All are worth trying.....isn't that is what our hobby is about? FUN!!!!!

6. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm afraid that I must agree with WN1MB with regard for mounting even a firestick type antenna for mobile work. Hit one low lying branch and the mount will rip open before the antenna breaks. I used S/steel Floor Spring cover plates (11" x 8" on the underside of the antenna bases has renenforcment to vehicle roofs. I have seen a 3/8 th base ripped out through the car/van roof were contact was made with a tree branch. Possibly 11"x 8" plate is a bit over-kill and the plates could have been cut in half to serve the same purpose. de John - GØWXU.