Fascinating Quartz Crystal history

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KL7AJ, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

2. KL7AJ

An except:

The first task of the QCS was to publicize the need for quartz crystal units in order to attract potential manufacturers. This was done so successfully that many letters were received from patriotic citizens offering to donate the crystal sets which had reposed in their attics for a decade or two. However the information did reach the desired places and would-be manufacturers of crystal units whose regular activities had been halted by the War Production Board began to descend upon the QCS asking how they might use their idle facilities to make crystal units. This group which included machinists, blacksmiths, jewelry makers, and amateur radio operators turned in one of the most remarkable records in the annals of American industry. In less than three years Mr. William Halligan, the President of the Hallicrafters Co. was able to say:

"We had no trained personnel to make crystals. We had no equipment with which to make crystals and out of this has been created what to my mind, is truly a miracle of American incentive and industry."

Hams can be proud of this one!

eric

3. W4HAY

W4HAY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately, a mind-set encountered not only in many other countries, but to an increasingly alarming degree over here!

4. KL7AJ

Can we say "Instant Gratification"?

:(

5. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Instant gratification.

But (at least in those days) was it a matter of "instant gratification," or a matter of survival and obtaining the necessities of life? Rice and beans is hardly the fare of "instant gratification," unless that means subsistence level.

6. KL7AJ

At TWICE THE PRICE offered, the miners could have SAVED up some beans and rice....and even been able to help his friends out in hard times. It really doesn't matter if you're in a third world country or the good old USA.....people who show JUST A TAD MORE INCENTIVE than the average person always come out on top.

This is the road OUT of a subsistence economy.

Alas....I shall now be branded a heartless heretic.
    :(

eric

7. K7FE

K7FE QRZ Lifetime Member #1 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Eric and others,
    The International Crystal company has more information on xtal history and designs using xtals here:

http://www.icmfg.com/frequencycontrolhistory.html

International Crystal is an excellent source for amateur crystals.

Dr. Warren A. Marrison is mentioned on that site as the "father of the quartz clock." Warren and I worked in research and development together at TRW near your old stomping grounds. He was brought in as a consultant after his retirement. One of his 80 plus patents is the hermetic sealed crystal. We developed a high stability oscillator for a military application in addition to several other classified aerospace crystal and oscillator projects in the late 60's and early 70's.

Terry, K7FE

8. KL7AJ

Thanks for the link, Terry. Cool stuff indeed. So many hams (and others) just assume this stuff landed on our lab benches out of blue sky! :)

eric

9. WA5KRP

WA5KRP Ham Member QRZ Page

OK. Maybe you are smart. My gut tells me you copied your daughter's homework. But that's just me.

WA5KRP
    Texas

10. K7FE

K7FE QRZ Lifetime Member #1 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Danny,
    I probably did copy her homework.....and still do. She completed her PhD about 10 years ago and after some time in the industry, is now a professor at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, CA.
    Terry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.