ad: chuckmartin

Farms on the Air

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by K1BIF, May 15, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K1BIF

K1BIF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you actually own a farm, and have a ham license, get on the air and make contacts as a "Farm on the Air". Do NOT just drive onto someone's farm and start activating - that's trespassing. It has to be a real farm, not just a backyard garden. Mose states have a legal definition of a farm - farmers pay less tax on their land than developed land. The idea is to cerebrate America's farmers, those families who still own their own farms. Granted, there aren't that many family farms left, and even fewer who have a family member with a ham license; all the more reason to promote this. Plus, if you know a farm owner who hasn't taken the plunge, encourage them to get their ham license, On 5/14/2022 the first activation took place, with more hoped for.

K1BIF

K0UO likes this.
  2. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm unable to venture outside to put my farm on the air. The only viable trees have my station antenna in them and I'm not driving through freshly planted corn or hay that's about to be cut. Anything else would be so close to the house I may as well be inside.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  3. K1BIF

You don't have to be outside.

If you own the farm, transmit from your farm house - it's still on the farm. I was outside because I own a tree lot - nothing but forest; no house, no power. So, I have to be a portable operation. I wish I had power and a house, maybe someday.

KK9W likes this.
  4. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I assumed the being "in the farm field" was parts of it due to the requirements of other similar OTA activities. My apologies.

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

This needs a couple of sub-events: Silos on the Air, and Barbed Wire on the air. :) And maybe weather vanes on the air.

N0JRK and K0UO like this.
  6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I activated my farm, and they said it was "BS on AIR" .... ..

My Farm is on the Air, every day!

73 from,
    The K0UO " Rhombic Antenna Farm" 2 miles of wire in the Air & On the AIR daily

7. K0UO

KN4XJ likes this.
  8. K1BIF

You're right. let's celebrate that fact - get on the air from your farms. Besides, it's another reason to have fun on the air.

K0UO likes this.
  9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Tip: Watch where you step! :)

(from a Ks farm).

10. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

I've given some thought on the subject and I don't think I am going to have a go at this. The hams that chase the POTA/SOTA who would answer I believe will quickly sour when they figure out Farms OTA isn't run like the other activities and lacks any formal program organization, assigned farm #s, awards and such. If I have nothing to offer then there is no need to make any special call as I'm just a guy in his shack at home...farm or no farm.

11. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

View from my back door:

wheat.jpg
    Who the heck grows wheat in AZ??

K0UO likes this.
  12. K0UO

Actually Buckeye, Gila Bend and Goodyear have been big winter wheat producers for a number of years.

And in various places along the Gila River
    Now most of the acreages are being converted to Urban housing are other crops like alfalfa hay

K7JEM likes this.
  13. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

What really amazed/impressed me about Illinois is once you're 50 miles out of Chicago, you're in the middle of vast expanses of farmland. It's like flipping a switch between urban and rural....not like California where I grew up.

14. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I know. Mostly cotton is grown around here, but this year a lot more wheat than normal. 50 years ago we used to regularly rotate grain with the cotton. We would grow barley from January to June, then plant sorghum and harvest it around October. Two grain crops per year, maybe that's what they're going to do with these fields. We'll see in a month or so when this gets harvested. And this field is about a mile and a half from the Gila river, but way upstream from Buckeye and Gila Bend.

15. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It's the same with Philadelphia. Go west, and corn, tobacco, hay, and more. Go east across the river into NJ, tomatoes, corn, and. peaches.
    Trips dounnashore (That's a Philadelphia word meaning; going to the seashore, aka the Jersey coast.) always included stops at the farm stands on the way home. Fresh (picked that morning) corn and Jersey tomatoes.