Farewell to ham radio!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KG6JTB, Jul 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KG6JTB

KG6JTB Ham Member QRZ Page

I bid farewell to ham radio. Though I have only been an “amateur” for 2 years, I find that the hobby has little to offer me.

Most of my free time (some of that on work break) is spent chit-chatting on this message board. I spend less than 1 hour a month on the air. Something is wrong with that picture.

When I am on the air, I can’t seem to find anyone interesting to talk to. The repeaters are dead, and those repeaters that are busy, the conversations are “juvenile” at best. I usually turn the radio off.

I have monitored HF bands many times too. Some of the interesting topics are based around issues that are very technical in nature. However, with rude “contesters”, the long winded rag-chewers, and a few very old operators discussing weather, there really isn’t anything stimulating or compelling for me to discuss (if I had the privilege to do so). There is also plenty more juvenile activity to be found on HF. Why upgrade?

There is no mystic to ham radio any longer, thus the declining numbers of new hams. CW might be dropped as a requirement in the next few years, but it won't change the operator.

I love my kids, enjoy playing piano, and restoring old cars. Those things bring me much joy.

ALL MY RADIO EQUIPMENT FOR SALE!

Dave
    KG6JTB

2. KD5ICR

KD5ICR Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry to see you go Dave. I always heard that the repeters in cali were always busy,always full.I agree sometime HF is dull I mean I dont want to hear about broken down body parts and that like. But after I upgrade maybe I can start up something other than that.
    Good luck.

3. N6HLE

N6HLE Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (kd5icr @ July 28 2003,07:54)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Sorry to see you go Dave. I always heard that the repeters in cali were always busy,always full.I agree sometime HF is dull I mean I dont want to hear about broken down body parts and that like. But after I upgrade maybe I can start up something other than that.
    Good luck.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    On the contrary, in my town we have quite a few 2m and 70cm repeaters and only about 2 or 3 are used frequently.

4. K8YS

K8YS Banned QRZ Page

You get out what you put in.

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You do what you are really interested in doing. If you really are not interested in amateur radio, then no one can make you interested. There are all sorts of things that you can do besides &quot;rag chew&quot; on the local repeater including building equipment, designing and building antennas, all sorts of &quot;specialty&quot; modes including television, SSTV, RTTY, and all sorts of using the computer to communicate via amateur radio. Unfortunately, 2 meter and 70 cm repeater operation are all that many newcomers know about amateur radio. Frankly, a great deal of that type of operation is just the same as what you can get on the Class &quot;D&quot; Citizen's Radio Service (&quot;CB&quot; to the masses). There are exceptions, but a lot of the repeater operation is just like CB.

30 years ago I got &quot;talked into&quot; buying a Cessna 150 (earliest model - 1959 - without the rear window). I found myself never flying it! I had time for other things, but just never drove the 5 miles to the airport to fly the &quot;beast&quot;. Thus, I sold it for 20 percent more that what I paid for it and have never regretted the sale. I was not that interested in flying.

If you are not interested in the many facets of amateur radio then you are not interested and no one is going to talk you into being interested. I have known several amateur radio operators who lost all interest in amateur radio and then, years later, suddenly had a renewed interest. Some of them had kept their licenses current while others had to &quot;start from scratch&quot;. I hope that you are at least in the first group (keep your license renewed) because you don't know what you are going to be interested in several years &quot;down the road&quot;.

Glen, K9STH

6. KD5NCO

KD5NCO Ham Member QRZ Page

Wise words Glen...

Dave I had a long post with similar points, pulled it out on edit as while writing Glen got in first.  Keep the licnese current every 10 years, you never know, some day you might come back just to teach a grandchild what it is all about.

7. AG3Y

AG3Y Guest

I kind of let my interest lapse when I found much of the same thing happening to me as the original poster states. However, it was interest in other things that pulled me away from Ham Radio, not discouragement over what Ham Radio had become.

For a few years, I was building and trying to fly R/C airplanes. building my own computer systems and learning how to operate a Novel network, taking my kids fishing and camping , etc.

The new &quot;sound card digital modes&quot; brought me back to Ham Radio in a real big hurry. I became really excited when the new protocols proved to be so great at getting nearly 100% copy from signals that were almost buried in the noise.

And do you want to know something? Since I have been back in the game, I haven't heard ONE O.F. talking about his &quot;body parts&quot; ! ! ! Maybe they just don't do that in the digital/cw modes like they do on SSB ? Could that be it ? ? ?

Well, as so many of us have been saying, don't tear up your ticket. You may find that you want to try out something you haven't ever tried out before, and find it to be the most exciting thing that you have ever done in this fascinating avocation!

Best 73 to you

Jim AG3Y

8. KC7ATO

KC7ATO Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave with only two years in Amateur Radio under your belt I don't see how you could have explored all the varied facets of it. Don't let the OFs snow you that CW is the alpha/omega and &quot;Holy Grail&quot; of Ham Radio. There are a wide variety of modes to explore and new ones coming along all the time. What about APRS, Satellite or Balloon tracking even &quot;Echolink&quot; since you apparently are not afraid of PC/Radio. Why not try some different modes before you give up on all of it?  [​IMG]

9. EI7JK

EI7JK Ham Member QRZ Page

Get someone to teach you how to knit instead, sounds like you &quot;attention span&quot; needs a little work too.

&quot;Juvenile conversations&quot; - would love to know exactly what you expected, you moan about them, the raggchewers don't suit you and the rest are too technical. Why the hell don't you make conversation about what YOU want it to be about and stop moaning.

Doubt if you will be a loss to ham radio with your attitude.

10. WA2ZDY

WA2ZDY Guest

See, I think the more interesting contacts I've had over the past nearly 29 years were on cw and the digital modes. Maybe that's just because it took longer to run out of things to chat about. It's true, I personally feel 2m/440/etc are full of ordinary folks who aren't really interested in radio as much as in shooting the bull about whatever. How interesting was that last long chat you overheard at the bar or diner? That's about what you're hearing on 2m/440 now. Welcome to the NEW ham radio.

HF phone ops tend to be a little more interesting I think because they're less likely to know each other. But still, listening to others isn't usually the best. I'm just not a voyeur.

CW and digital on HF, yessiree, for some reason, for ME, that's where I find more interesting folks. Then again, maybe it's because I'm doing something interesting (operating) in addition to chewing the rag.

K8YS put it right. You get out what you put in. If all you've put in is chatting on the local repeaters, you don't deserve much else back. It's a shame, but you've allowed yourself to become trapped in a no-win situation. And as of now, without code and an upgrade, there's little way out. Unless you get interested in EME, satellites, etc. Those are technically demanding though, and it sounds like that isn't you big interest either.

So off you go to your other hobbies. If you like them, then you really are wasting your time here. I hope you'll keep your ticket though, as it is pretty apparent from your posts over time, you WERE interested. It might happen again.

Good luck to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.