ad: Radclub22-1

Farewell to Fort Monmouth, Jan 29-31, 2010

Discussion in 'Contests, DXpeditions, QSO Parties, Special Events' started by N2LXM, Dec 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N2LXM

N2LXM Ham Member QRZ Page

Jan 29-jan31, 0001Z-2359Z, Fort Monmouth, NJ
    Garden State ARA will conduct a Farewell to Fort Monmouth from the Fort Monmouth M.A.R.S. Station AA2USA. The former home of the Signal Corps will soon be closed by B.R.A.C. As a preliminary to this action, one last chance to say good-bye to the post that trained thousands of man and women plus pioneered countless communication innovations will be made available with this special event station. K2USA will operate on 3.860, 7.260, 14.260 plus the NJ Linked Repeater System ( W2NJR/R). CW +50, PSK31 +70. QSL information: www.gardenstateara.org

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  2. K8ERV

K8ERV QRZ Member QRZ Page

That's sad. I attended Ft. Monmouth, a long time ago. Probably many here did.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

3. K7IWH

K7IWH Ham Member QRZ Page

K2USA de W2USA.

Attn: N2LXM.
    K2USA de W2USA
    Hi Jeff, Please listen for us Sarge!
    73 to all de W2USA.

4. K9YLI

K9YLI Ham Member QRZ Page

yes many i would agree.

crypto repair 1959

hope this isnt a dup

5. 4X1SO

4X1SO Ham Member QRZ Page

I took the CW class,Novice and Technician classes given at the MARS station in 1988. Will miss K2USA/AA2USA.

6. N0NB

N0NB Ham Member QRZ Page

I will pass that along as my dad served at Fort Monmouth for a time during Korea in the early '50s.

7. KG4RUL

KG4RUL Ham Member QRZ Page

Since it is a MARS station, will there be any operation on MARS frequencies?

Dennis SC Army MARS
    AAR4GC/AAM4ESC

8. W2MJR

W2MJR Ham Member QRZ Page

Any specific times, for each band?

9. W6AQ

W6AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was at Ft. Monmouth for 39 weeks in 1955 going to radar repair school. I'll be looking for K2USA which I got a couple of chances to operate. Does anybody have any pictures of the old station or antennas? Recollections?

Dave, W6AQ

10. W9GB

W9GB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is amazing the "arc" that Fort Monmouth has undergone over the past 20 years ... downsized ... built up again, especially after 9/11 ... and then downsized again -- now closure!

gb

11. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I never worked there, but used to operate K2USA to do phone patch traffic to Nam in 70-71 timeframe. Did same from K4WAR at Ft. Gordon a few times as well.

I lived only about five miles from Ft. Monmouth when I lived in West Long Branch. I could see the flashing lights on the radio towers from my back yard.

What a pity to close this piece of history.:(

12. W1PE

W1PE Guest

SHUT DOWN

I was at K2USA as a full time op in 1966/67 when SFC Palau was NCOIC and then to RVN as AB8AV and then Tobyhanna at AA3WCQ for a year... Those were some of the best times of my life guys... Hate to see K2USA go away and hope to work them this weekend. Have lots of pixs of the old station..

Bob W1PE
    www.wipe.com

13. W2MJR

W2MJR Ham Member QRZ Page

You guys at K2USA are doing an awesome job. Keep up the good work, and definitely glad you decided to work the W2LI/W2NJR link on UHF also!

14. KI4QFL

KI4QFL Ham Member QRZ Page

I am still new to HAM radio. After reading the story of this magnificent station, i only wish i had the chance to vivit this place.

I was able to make a contact to this legacy today.
    Good Luck to all..

KI4QFL

15. N2LXM

N2LXM Ham Member QRZ Page

Good Evening all, The Fort Monmouth Amateur Radio Club along with the Garden State Amateur Radio Association would like to thank all those who worked K2USA for the event. As it stands now just over 700 contacts were made. The QSL Cards are coming in by the box load. We will be getting the cards and certifiates in the mail in the next couple of weeks. k2USA hopes to be able to operate from Fort Monmouth one last time for Field Day. Look for us on the air freom Dean Field. Hope to work you all again.
    73's de: Jeff N2LXM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.