ad: vanity

FARC rebels and QRP

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by KC7JNJ, Jul 12, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm with you on that. I'm wondering about that transmission line and how they matched their antenna system. In their shoes I would have went with a resonant half-wave dipole fed with coax. Given good frequency selection and at about .15 wavelength AGL and they would have been in business. Maybe getting coax was an issue? They seem pretty well equipped otherwise.

2. KC7JNJ

KC7JNJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Years ago I had heard about military units using ground mounted half square antennas for short range communications. Myself I have become a fan of end fed antennas, they would be so easy to carry and set for many configurations. But it sure looks like they are being some what creative. I wonder what she uses that laptop for.

Al KC7jnj

3. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I lean toward dipoles for short skip. Simple, efficient, predictable high-angle pattern when deployed around .15 wavelength above ground level.

I thought that the point of the half-square was to lower the radiation angle of an antenna when it wasn't practical to configure it at one-half wavelength AGL or better? Maybe I'm thinking of something else.

I love my end-fed here at the home QTH, but for NVIS tactical comms I'd go dipole over end-fed for the radiation pattern and the frequency agility (add wire, take away wire, QED).

As for the computer...I didn't see a Signalink or anything, so probably not for digital comms. Probably used for a communications log, intel folders, inventories,personnel folders, pay, etc.. All of the un-sexy admin and logs stuff that is about 95% of war.

Nice thread, glad you started it.

Al

4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Updating her FARCbook page.

KC3JIN, WC5P, K3XR and 1 other person like this.
  5. W4ZNG

W4ZNG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll give them this much, FARC takes the concept of "field day" to a whole new level.

6. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yaesu - Choice of the World's Top ... Marxist Guerilla Movements ?

Last edited: Jul 15, 2019
    K7WFM, WN1MB and K3XR like this.
  7. KC7JNJ

Yaesu field tested tough by Che Guevara!

WN1MB likes this.
  8. KC3JIN

KC3JIN Ham Member QRZ Page

The 817 pulls 3 amps at 100% duty cycle, iirc. Makes sense if you've gotta lug batteries around :)

So far as the antenna I dimly recall seeing something about splitting the lamp cord and tying the ends in a knot to make the 'feed line' turn into an 'antenna'.. OK this makes me wanna go read about old-timers tricks again!

EDIT: Two seconds later, lol.
    https://www.qsl.net/ke8di/zipcord.html

K8AI likes this.
  9. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

The woman that is standing in front of the table has some FARCing excellent camo. Bet she blends right into the jungle.

10. KC7JNJ

That zipcord would be handy and work. There just so many things I would like to ask them. Nothing like being in the field to teach one real quick what works and what does not. I wonder how many 817’s they field, how they charge their batteries, how they protect their radios from rain water, and damage. So much practical knowledge they have now acquired with that radio.
    Al kc7jnj