ad: dxeng

Fan Vertical Antenna

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by N3OP, Jun 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. N3OP

N3OP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

I have a Zero-Five 10-40 meter vertical, and I modified it by removing the 4:1 balun and extended it to 33 feet. The antenna works great on 40 meters and tunes on 15 meters. I am thinking about making it into a fan vertical for 6 -160 by adding a ¼ wave radiators (12 gauge THHN wire) for 6, 10, 12, 17, 20, 30, 80, and 160 meters. The wires for 6-30 meters will be vertical and parallel to the 40/15 meter aluminum tubing radiator. The 80 and 160 meter radiators will be in an inverted-L configuration. I currently have 16 32 feet ground radials installed, but will add 8 more about 100 feet long for 80/160. Is this worth building, or will all the vertical radiators interfere with the performance of others radiators for different bands? For example, will the 80 meter wire interfere with the SWR/ performance on 17 meters or 30 meters.

Thanks for any advice.

Reggie

2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

A similar modification to the 5BTV has been used for a long time. But not to the same degree. The 5BTV is a trap vertical that normally covers 10, 15, 20, 40, and 80 Meters. Extra vertical elements can be added to cover 12 and 17 meters. The extra vertical elements run parallel to the main radiator, separated by about 1 foot. The type of element varies from 12/14 gauge wire to aluminum tubing. The aluminum tubing should offer better bandwidth and possibly easier tuning.

Will some of the elements interfere with the performance of other elements? Absolutely. My guess is that, adding all of those extra elements would make it a nightmare to tune.

You might want to start with a few important bands, just to see how the tuning is affected.

3. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Good move, in a nutshell. AJ6O and I have had good results from our fan GPs and as long as your spacing is adequate I doubt you'll have much interaction or tuning problems. Your planned skyhook sounds like the Ultimate version of a DX Commander (see M0MCX)!

I'd suggest about 6 inches spacing on the low band elements and as little as 2 inches should be fine for the rest.

Tune the longest elements first and work your way up the bands from there. Let us know how it works out for you and photos would be appreciated once you're done, too.

Jeff

A fan of fans...