ad: portazero-1

Fan Vertical Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Jan 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KD6SBR

KD6SBR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

OK, Got it, lol. Sorry for my misquote. Best 73

2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

It's all starting to make sense now...

AK5B and KN4PHS like this.
  3. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice to see articles on any antennas but fan dipole principles are has old as the hills surely. Some one mentioned do they work. Yes is the answer , but do not expect it to work with no work to do on it. You must setup and start testing out each element for match and trim. then start again. Every time you cut a bit off one element to match ,you change another element and so on until you are lucky and all work correct. There is a procedure to do this but I cannot remember if you should start on the longest elements and work up or the other way round. Suck it and see. Its all part of the learning curve. If you do not like that buy a mobile phone and start to think of another hobby like basket weaving or some type of none tech pastime.

4. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Its the NEWS!

You know, circa 2019...the FAKE kind.

5. 4S6RYD

4S6RYD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Will 1:1 current balun is good for the horizontal design at the top?
    Seem easy to make.

6. W8BFT

W8BFT Ham Member QRZ Page

How is that fun?

7. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Per W8JI - "We sometimes fall in love with certain antennas. The song fits the ad. At least 10,000 Maniacs loved their Gotham antennas. For those who love magical antennas, Gotham style antennas are still available today under various models and names. ... Gotham used advertisements that appealed entirely to emotion. Their ads actually had no performance information at all, just how some person in some unknown location worked a long list of DX. Gotham ads stood out from all other advertisements in the 50's and 60's, and generated quite a few sales to new amateurs. According to Gotham advertisements, Gotham antennas were the world's best!"

[​IMG]

K0PV/SK2023, KK5R and KR3DX like this.
  8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you find that old ad (yet) for the fan dipole John? They used to advertise everywhere--SWL, ham, CB. Especially in QST...a small 1/16 column ad. Every month. Starting at least 60 years ago...forget the name of the company. They were somewhere in the midwest.

Hey! I always wondered how W1AW did so well on the air-- its that GOTHAM VERTICAL!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  9. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just wanted to repeat your post Joe; very useful diagram that!

AK5B likes this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I just wanted to give a plug for Chuck's really cool version of a 'fan dipole'. You should look it up on google...

[​IMG]

AK5B and W0PV like this.
  11. W8JBM

W8JBM Ham Member QRZ Page

Callum from DX Commander has been doing this for years. He offers a well made product spanning many bands, but let me let you in on something; he tells you how to do it and encourages you to dive into the world of experimentation with antennas. If you don't know who this guy is, you are just reading dusty old handbooks. Enjoy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEWRZEIjVQB8aUkyUQ-g-zA

AK5B likes this.
  12. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Chip, you mean something other then the persistent Barker & Williamson folded dipole? Still finding a niche today!

At 11 y/o my personal fav was the JOYSTICK, marketed in QST by Partridge Electronics back then. Dreamed of a phased array of 'em :eek:

[​IMG]

13. KA2K

KA2K XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not.

14. AK5B

AK5B XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I built a fan ground plane for three bands (later added a fourth band after rebuilding it due to hurricane damage) that "works" just fine*. It has become my standard "go-to" antenna 90% of the time I operate the bands it is intended for.

See my extensive build thread here:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/15-17-20m-fan-vertical-guidance.560123/

Lots of photos are included and since it was designed for stealth it might be hard to see in some of the "as installed" shots. :D

*Perpetual reminder: Everything "works;" the question that should always be asked is "How well?"

Great to see the subject of fan verticals come up here, but too bad the OP failed to include a proper vertical fan graphic and chose a horizontal fan instead.

While I've only just begun reading this thread and don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but AJ6O has a beautiful ground-mounted two-band fan (20/40m) displayed on his QRZ page if anyone is interested. It's a lot easier to see than my stealthy elevated version.

Callum, M0MCX has come up with a brilliant multiband fan Marconi that he markets commercially as well---simply search "DX Commander" and his highly entertaining YouTube videos will surface.

Jeff, NH7RO

A big fan of fans (both horizontal and vertical)

15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh wow...the JOYSTICK!

"I worked the world from my closet"...yep I remember those ads!

There was some other company that did a fan dipole; anyway, not worth going back ;-)