ad: vanity

Fan Vertical Antenna

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VK6FLAB, Jan 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

K3SZ, NH7RO and W1YW like this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

That image is part of a training document on how NOT to hold iron...and how NOT to choose the wrong tool....(a heat controlled system is required on such PCB's not a straight 'iron-plugged-into-the- wall').

So the people seeing it are actually training themselves to prevent injury.

No one in a professional setting would be allowed into the fabrication or assembly lab you see here, without such training.

Why?

Because over a dozen employees and OSHA rules apply big time.

T-R-A-I-N-I-N-G.

SM6CJB and NH7RO like this.
  3. N4PSK

N4PSK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

4. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

On page 5 of that article it clearly states, "It (TFCM) also suffers from the lower gain and pattern asymmetry associated with the terminated folded dipole antenna it is originally derived from."

So, after reading that juicy tidbit of revealing information, I must ask, "Why not make a fan ground plane instead?" Multiband capability, one 50-70 ohm feedline, no induced loss to begin with and with a few feet of elevation using 2-4 (or more, if desired) tuned radials---is quite likely to outperform the TFCM.

I found my 10-15-17-20m fan vertical to be easy to set up and tune initially and it gets the job done (I like to chase dx). No tune, instant bandswitching is such a joy!

To each his own; but just a thought from a fan vertical fan...

5. WB6TOU

WB6TOU Ham Member QRZ Page

I would like to hear from hams who have built this design. It looks fabulous and his reports are amazing. The construction is not simple.

6. VP8CWQ

VP8CWQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Many, many years ago, while on St Helena, I worked someone in the Marshall Islands on 20m Using a 10-20-40 version of this (horizontal) design, as I recall 59 both ways on 100 Watts, pretty much on the opposite side of the world. Mind you propagation was a lot better back then.....

7. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

I can vouch for it: Chuck (W1HIS)lives about 1/2 mile from me, and gets out extremely well with this. I have not built it.

Chuck is a retired MIT prof and knows his stuff.

There's lots of great antenna designs that hams have ignored (and shouldn't have). This is one of them.

Chip W1YW

NH7RO likes this.
  8. KR3DX

KR3DX Subscriber QRZ Page

The radials need to be between the coax and the antenna, in order to minimize common mode current on the feedline. The drawing in post #96 shows the feedline above the radials, and it depicts a very poor installation.

NH7RO likes this.
  9. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My grandfather had one of those large soldering irons. He taught me how to use it on large diameter wire such as #10 stranded.

Fond memories.

10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

And yet...

You didn't manage to burn a hole in your hand;-)

NH7RO and W4HM like this.