Fan Dipole Construction Details

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by WT4W, Nov 27, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very nice center insulator design for a two element fan dipole.

FWIW, I use snap lock food storage containers to provide some weather proofing for homebrew baluns. I'd just bolt one of these to your center insulator and drill a few weep holes into the bottom of the box.

[​IMG]

K6CLS and AJ5J like this.
  2. AJ5J

AJ5J Ham Member QRZ Page

Liquid Electrical Tape or Plasti-Dip might also be additional ways to go with weatherproofing/UV protection. I'd spray things with flat camo paint, too.

Jeff

3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

that's how I do it, too.

How does your CPVC hold up in sunlight? I was told the grey electrical PVC was the best for that. so far so good... But otherwise I spray paint white (fresh water) PVC with matte black, seems to work.

4. WA4SIX

WA4SIX Ham Member QRZ Page

8 years in S.Utah & Las Vegas. Not a hint of degradation. Got it at Home Depot.

Ed

5. N1VAU

N1VAU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use scrap pieces of gray 1/2" or 3/4" PVC coduit for end insulators.

Because I suspend the antenna from the ends and the 1:1 balun just hangs between I use Davis RF #13 stranded insulated copper clad steel for the longest wire and stranded THHN #12 or #14 for the other wire in the fan.

My 6-12" spreaders are green fiberglass hollow garden stakes from Agway. I drill holes with a Dremel and give them a coat of shellac for luck.