Famous Hams

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5R, Jan 14, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KK5R

KK5R Ham Member QRZ Page

Here is a list of famous hams. Check to see if there is someone there that you know...

http://www.hfunderground.com/wiki/Famous_hams

There are three kings on that list. Everyone should know that Senator Barry Goldwater was a ham but what about Walter Cronkite? And Arthur Godfrey? Know him? Or, rather, did you know him?

And what about W6EZV — did you know him?

Careful, answers to these questions may establish you as a real oldtimer...

Challenge: Are there any names that should be on that list? I mean those who were/are Famous Hams.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  2. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Only one I ever met was Joe Walsh - see CQ November 2002 for the article / interview / pix etc... I got the cover photo no less!

I DREAMED of working JY1 as a teen - just to have "worked a King"!! Same with Barry Goldwater - no, not a King but a pretty up-there-guy and one I admired.... I got the K7UGA card last year from the commemoration but obviously not the same.

Quite the list there! And yes, many of those names are a dead giveaway to "Oldtimer Status" :)

Dave
    W7UUU

KK5R likes this.
  3. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I'
    When I was WA6TEE I worked Arthur Godfrey, Barry Goldwater, and Andy Devine. Also had an eyeball QSO with Andy Devine at Henry Radio!

KK5R and W4KSL like this.
  4. KD8ZMN

KD8ZMN Ham Member QRZ Page

This list calls Joe Walsh a "singer". He's as much a guitarist as a singer, known more so as a guitarist. They should have probably called him a "musician".

N2EY likes this.
  5. VE3KDO

VE3KDO Ham Member QRZ Page

Most of the people that have to be on stage and had to work a crowd like I did usually rather be called: Entertainers.
    A musician can be a studio guy that never plays live.
    Even a singer that works a crowd is an entertainer because He/She has to entertain in order to survive.

6. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Old joke time:

The first Ham celebrity homebrewer was God. He took a rib from Adam and made a loudspeaker.

KD8ZMN, N0NB, KK5R and 6 others like this.
  7. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To me an ' Entertainer' is much more talented than a musician or a singer or combination thereof. Sammy Davis Jr was an entertainer. Dean Martin was an entertainer. Joe Walsh is not an entertainer.

8. NM7L

NM7L Ham Member QRZ Page

I realize this list hasn't been updated since creation but we should recognize ol' Tim Dick, KK6OTD ... although he's better known as an amateur by his false call KA0XTT.

9. KE9EX

KE9EX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I got that card too. It has a printed Barry Goldwater autograph. I stuck my REAL Barry Goldwater autograph in the QSL holder with it...which I don't have a pic of to post at this time.

But, never worked him on the air... k7uga.jpg Or any other famous people who are hams.

10. AG4RT

AG4RT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Said the old guy.

I find Joe entertaining, so in my book he is an entertainer...so are the other two you named.