ad: Amateur-1

Family Roadtrip, Can we share my callsign

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KE8EVO, Jul 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, nowhere in the rules does it say that a third party can operate anything. In certain situations, a third party "may participate in stating the message." So even though they can't operate, they can talk into the radio if the "control operator is present at the control point and is continuously monitoring and supervising the third party's participation."

I suppose there's probably some theoretical way to do that from another car, but it seems to me it would be a lot easier just to use a radio that is intended for that type of use, such as FRS, CB, etc.

AF7TS likes this.
  2. AF7TS

AF7TS Ham Member QRZ Page

I am in absolute agreement with you, and hope that this was clear in my post. I appreciate that you clarified that 'third party operation' is not the third party 'operating' the radio, but participating in the communication with the radio 'operated' by the licensed operator

I firmly believe that this can theoretically be accomplished (legal third party operation between a control operator in one vehicle and the 'third party' in another vehicle) but that if the goal is communication then FRS, CB, GMRS, etc would make far more practical sense.

The only value in continuing to explore this sort of 'remote third party' communication is for the fun of experimenting with different ways of 'doing radio', the essence of amateur radio. But if I were really planning this sort of road trip, and couldn't have licensed family members in the other car, I think I'd go with GMRS.

-Jon

Last edited: May 4, 2021